Metallica Play Club Show, Eye Fall Tour

Reply Fri 16 May, 2008 10:40 am
LOS ANGELES (Billboard) - Metallica will launch a tour in October, a month after the rock titans release their first album in five years, drummer Lars Ulrich revealed during a rare club show in Los Angeles Wednesday.

More...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,224 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Didymos Thomas

Reply Sat 17 May, 2008 06:42 am
@Article bot,
Why didn't they just retire in the early 90's and ride out their fame and fortune. Heck, they could have gone onto other projects - Velvet Revolver, Foo Fighters, these projects have been immensely successful and any member of Metallica has at least as much notoriety as a Guns n Roses or Nirvana member.

I expect yet another terrible Metallica album. A shame, too.
cjames phil

Reply Sat 17 May, 2008 09:05 am
@Didymos Thomas,
I am looking forward to it, my favourite Metallica album is St.Anger, Justice probably second.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Sat 17 May, 2008 01:50 pm
@cjames phil,
Really? Man, I though St. Anger was a total flop. The Black Album was the last one I would recommend to anyone (except Garbage Inc.), though they had some good songs on later albums.

My personal favorite has always been, and will always be, Master of Puppets, but ...And Justice For All was probably the best. Total agreement on that one.
Vasska

Reply Sat 17 May, 2008 02:18 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
The fans that are fairly new to Metallica often like St. Anger, the "older" fans, as you presumably are like the older works. (Even though cjames is 18 and you 19.)

I don't listen much Metallica any more, but i still can enjoy their numbers if someone happens to play them.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Sat 17 May, 2008 02:42 pm
@Vasska,
Yeah, this is what I've noticed. But newer fans seem to be few and far between. As you point out, I'm only 19; I was introduced to Metallica by an older group of friends, so I was introduced to the early albums.

My problem is that James has blown his voice (I don't think he ever recovered from the recording and touring for the Black Album), and Lars' drumming has been downhill since Master.

I was happy to see Trujillo get the bass gig, though. He's a beast.
Solace

Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2008 01:28 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Heh, cool, a Metallica thread.

Favorite Metallica song: My Friend of Misery.

Others?
0 Replies

Aedes

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2008 08:29 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:
Really? Man, I though St. Anger was a total flop. The Black Album was the last one I would recommend to anyone (except Garbage Inc.), though they had some good songs on later albums.

My personal favorite has always been, and will always be, Master of Puppets, but ...And Justice For All was probably the best. Total agreement on that one.
I pretty much agree, though Ride the Lightning is my favorite. I bought Justice when it first came out, I was in high school at the time, and even then people felt like they were going downhill after Master of Puppets. Part of it was there was just no replacing Cliff Burton after he died. Justice was a great album, so was the Black Album, and I even like a few songs off of Load. Haven't listened to them much in years, though.

Solace wrote:

Others?
Ugh, tough one. From Kill Em All, probably The Four Horsemen. From Ride the Lightning, either Fade to Black or The Call of Ktulu. From Puppets probably the title track, but there are so many good songs -- Battery is great but it's way too fast for my current tastes. Sanitarium and Orion great too. I love Eye of the Beholder from Justice, and Sad But True from the Black Album. Both Unforgiven and Unforgiven II are fantastic songs.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2008 10:36 am
@Aedes,
Quote:
I pretty much agree, though Ride the Lightning is my favorite. I bought Justice when it first came out, I was in high school at the time, and even then people felt like they were going downhill after Master of Puppets. Part of it was there was just no replacing Cliff Burton after he died. Justice was a great album, so was the Black Album, and I even like a few songs off of Load. Haven't listened to them much in years, though.

Cliff was as replaceable as John Bonham, or Freddie Mercury. Talk about three sad stories.

I've been told that the band used a lot of Cliff's material for Justice - and this wouldn't surprise me at all. Cliff was the band's premier musician, and the arrangements on Justice have always been some of my favorites.

Quote:

Others?

Kill 'Em All - Hit the Lights. Dave Mustaine had lead on this one. Pulling Teeth and The Four Horsemen are close in second.
Ride the Lightning - It's the fan favorite for me - For Whom the Bell Tolls
Master of Puppets - Title Track. Battery, though, was my introduction to the band and is still a favorite.
...And Justice - Harvester of Sorrow. Lars was heroic on this one.
Black Album - Paul and I see eye to eye on this one - Sad But True.

On Load, Bleeding Me was pretty good. Garage Inc has some good covers of songs I was already fond of - Tuesday's Gone and Stone Cold Crazy especially.
Aedes

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2008 08:44 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:
I've been told that the band used a lot of Cliff's material for Justice - and this wouldn't surprise me at all. Cliff was the band's premier musician, and the arrangements on Justice have always been some of my favorites.
They're the most rhythmically complex songs the band has written -- and Lars Ulrich was magisterial on that album. Nothing else the band has produced has as complex and virtuosic drumming. The album has that very ponderous, heavy sound from the layered guitars. Unfortunately it sometimes makes all the songs on the album sound alike, because many were written in the same key.

Quote:
Kill 'Em All - Hit the Lights. Dave Mustaine had lead on this one.
Not on the album Kill 'Em All he didn't, I'm pretty sure Kirk Hammett played on the album. But Mustaine did on their original demo "Horsemen of the Apocalypse" (I had a bootleg of that a long time ago). I forgot what The Four Horsemen was called on that album -- it was the same song but with a different name and different lyrics. Seek and Destroy is another great one from that album.

Quote:
Garage Inc has some good covers of songs I was already fond of - Tuesday's Gone and Stone Cold Crazy especially.
The original Garage Days Revisited had Breadfan, which was a very good cover.

Strange, I loved Metallica in high school, but went in completely different directions once I began college (we're talking 1992 here). I'm much more into Dylan, Waits, a bunch of Indie bands, world music, and classical. But I still have fond memories of Metallica, I used to play a ton of their songs on the guitar.
0 Replies