The changing face of the music industry, MP3's

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2003 09:08 am
I was pondering MP3's today as I burned a copy of Dark Side of the Moon to a CD. I have the original on vinyl, but my record player has been shot for years. I downloaded the complete album and burned it to CD. I started thinking...most young folks use downloading services these days to get individual songs/singles. I thought that in the near future, a couple of things are going to be completely lost. One is the idea of an album...The Wall had a couple of FM radio singles, but it was meant to be listened to cover to cover. The entire concept is lost if you only know one song. Also, with MP3's, you just upload them to a player, make a mix. What of album cover art? That is really no longer necessary to put any thought into. Mind you, that started with CDs, but even then, at least you got a mini replica of the cover. Okay, rant over. Discuss.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 961 • Replies: 10
No top replies

fishin

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2003 09:20 am
When one door closes another opens.

With digital music the listener can create their own "album" (playlist) that has an individualized meaning to them instead of being force fed a collection by the originator. Maybe the artisist orignal compilation was good but usually there are a few duds on any album. In a lot of cases songs are thrown together on a single album but dion't really flow together as it is. All of that is dependent on the artist and production team.

The art concept moves to. Instead of album covers it can be done via "skins" now or even full motion video. This is an area that is really slow moving so far. I'm not sure why that is but..
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2003 09:32 am
That's all true fishin, but I can't help but feel that the current climate in the misic biz will detract serious artists from trying to make full albums with real content. Mind you, when a friend first played Duran Duran for me, when they were just starting out, I told him they would never make it, so what do I know, really? Laughing
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2003 09:45 am
I dunno. I mean, I understand what you are saying but I'm just not sure it's really all that much of a bad thing.

Maybe the artist needs to find a way to better connect what they put out to give the listener a compelling reason to grab a collection. This medium may also give more opportunities for people that don't string together their music under a central theme. I know I've bought plenty of albums over the years that had dud songs or were totally disjointed.

The MP3 and on-line distribution also alllows me to grab one song that I like without being forced to buy a bunch I don't like or want and at the same time it doesn't prevent the artist from putting together an album if they want to.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2003 09:51 am
I'm not necessarily bothered by the new technology, heck, I use it myself. I am just a bit saddened that certain things I grew up with are most likely dying. I resisted CDs, even as a teen, preferring vinyl.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2003 02:25 pm
Just bought a copy of Floodland, by Sisters of Mercy on Vinyl (or, as we used to call them, a record!) via ebay from someone in the UK who is selling his collection. I resisted cds until the later 1990s, and didn't get rid of my cassettes until this past year. I still love the feeling and sound of records.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2003 02:30 pm
e-bay....hmm...I have plenty of cassettes and vinyl and not a whole lot of cash. On the other hand, how much would someone pay for autographed and doodled in copies of Allen Ginsberg's Howl and White Shroud?
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2003 02:35 pm
Pick me..pick me.....!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2003 02:43 pm
What's it worth to ya? Laughing
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2003 02:50 pm
Put it on ebay, and I will bid. I would certainly put the reserve price at no less than $50.00, however! But can ytou really deal with the thought of parting with those?
0 Replies

husker

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2003 02:58 pm
Sony has already thought of this - hence they have there own MP3 type format and compatibility with MP3 and WAV and a couple others. Sony as a company is diverse enough to be in the recording end and a hardware development end, they have a plan and I fully expect they are hanging to it. I think the bigger change with be with the Artist.
0 Replies