What is the best way to restore an old saddle?

dadpad

Reply Thu 20 May, 2010 06:25 am
Remove dry stains and marks from suede by gently rubbing a pencil eraser on the affected area.

Apply a small amount of white vinegar to a lightly dampened cloth as a last resort for cleaning suede. Gently rub the surface of the shoe with the cloth, then allow it to air dry.

0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Thu 20 May, 2010 09:02 am
I use Lexol products on my saddles. If your saddle is dry but not cracking you can get it into top shape in a hurry. First, I would use the leather rejeuvanator product on this link:

http://www.preservation-solutions.com/product.php?category_id=1001&product_id=1008

Then I'd oil it down (saturate it basically) with the Lexol Leather Oil. From there, you can either do the leather conditioner or do like I do and just oil mine down at least once a month. I know some riders that oil their's every week.

I find the Lexol products to be the best. You should be able to find them at any feedstore. If not, you can find them online.
Rockhead

Reply Thu 20 May, 2010 09:32 am
@Arella Mae,
ok.

i'm doing them one at a time. in my "spare" time...

gonna talk to a coupla tack shops in my quest to sell them. i'll keep my eyes open for it. (is it exorbitantly priced like the neat stuff?)

the neatfeat oil bottle is gonna run dry on this one, cuz this morning it looks dry again...
Arella Mae

Reply Thu 20 May, 2010 01:55 pm
@Rockhead,
Your best bet is to either rejuvenate or condition the leather before you oil it. If you don't, you are gonna be oiling it for quite awhile. Here is the place I buy a lot of my horse supplies from. They are fast shippers, good prices and good quality items.

https://greenrivertack.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=124&sort=2a&page=2&osCsid=6e72a32552f9a1ea2528b9e404b1febd

That will take you straight to the page for saddle care products. I need to look at my leather oil bottle when I get home because I'm having a hard time finding it online. It's a good sized bottle and I really don't think I paid more than $25.00 for it but I am not positive. I'll look and let you know.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 22 May, 2010 10:28 am
I looked through my horse supplies and what I use for my saddle at least once a month is the Lexol Leather Conditioner and Preservative especially when I buy a new bridle. I soak the leather in a bucket of it and then let the bridle set in the sun for about two hours. It keeps my bridles very pliable. I use Fiebing's 100% Pure Neatsfoot Oil Leather Softener and Preserver when I do oil my saddle. I probably oil it down pretty good at least once every three months. I bought a 16 fl oz bottle for 7.95 at the feedstore. If you use the Conditioner on a regular basis then you won't need the oil all that much.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 22 May, 2010 10:32 am
@Rockhead,
alotta talk bout leather and balls and riding and oil and rubbing
Rockhead

Reply Sat 22 May, 2010 10:40 am
@Chumly,
yeah.

my little cat is resting on the big red one right now...

put that in your pipe and smoke it.

how's things chum?

0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 22 May, 2010 11:14 am
Do your pussy's red colorings suggest a political affiliation with the Left?

I'm OK as summer is here and I'm on holidays...how's y'all?
Rockhead

Reply Sat 22 May, 2010 11:19 am
@Chumly,
big red saddle. (it's a saddle thread) if she tried to rest on the big cat, there would be a scene worthy of getting the camera...

we are plodding along.

my plants are bigger than yours.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 22 May, 2010 11:19 am
@Rockhead,
My neighbors who have a lot of horses and show them in dressage and team events , they use lotsa mink oil and finish the leathers with some kinda carnuba carwaxes. They get a nice warm sheen from the carwax. I guess its from the carnubas armpits.
Rockhead

Reply Sat 22 May, 2010 11:23 am
@farmerman,
mine are far from finishing.

more like starting. (especially the bigger one. looks like mebbe it has seen some water on the left side leggings.)

the smaller one with the suede seat is looking good.

(please don't speak of car wax. bad vibes)
0 Replies