Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2010 08:35 am
Ok, I know all the hype about this fruit (real or imagined) but seriously, I don't think it tastes very good.

I got a lifewater today (the Acai fruit punch) and there is a taste in it I don't like. Considering the only other fruit in it is apple, I have to assume it's the acai I don't like.

Ew.

Never buying this flavor again.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 9 • Views: 2,905 • Replies: 19
No top replies

djjd62

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2010 08:40 am
@Bella Dea,
i love the passion fruit/ acai berry yogurt from silhouette
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2010 08:41 am
@Bella Dea,
Pomegranate is the same way. Supposed to great for you, but tastes awful.

I think it's an offshoot of the idea that if something tastes good, it can't be good for you. (So if it tastes bad, it must be a wonder drug.)
djjd62

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2010 08:45 am
@DrewDad,
love pomegranate too, would rather sit and dissect a pomegranate watching a movie (at home of course) than eat a bowl of popcorn
mismi

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2010 08:52 am
@djjd62,
I like picking all of the little fruit out too...it seems a wee bit OC though...a whole lot of work for a wee bit of yum.
djjd62

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2010 08:53 am
@mismi,
the problem is getting good ones, the last few years they seem to be have bad, or not ripe enough, kind of disappointing
farmerman

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2010 09:08 am
@djjd62,
Then, going with the theory that what tastes awful is the best for you, might I suggest a Durian Fruit yougurt.

GAG ME
CalamityJane

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2010 09:10 am
@mismi,
mismi wrote:

I like picking all of the little fruit out too...it seems a wee bit OC though...a whole lot of work for a wee bit of yum.

Trader Joe's has frozen pomegranate seeds - I love them over cereal.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2010 09:30 am
@djjd62,
I was talking about pomegranate juice. Never actually eaten pomegranate seeds.
Bella Dea

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2010 09:37 am
I love some of the lifewater flavors, and the 0 calorie ones are really good and have very little sugar. Course, there's always the discussion on whether Purevia is good for you.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2010 10:10 am
@DrewDad,
They're good! A bit tartly, like cranberries, but more flavor.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2010 07:22 pm
@farmerman,
i will try anything, i've eaten a vietnamese cake with durian in it, i wouldn't eat it again, but i'll try anything if it's offered

always interesting to eat a cake that smells vaguely of rotting meat
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2010 08:50 pm
I wouldn't count on the "açaí" products bearing any resemblance to the fruit. Just like American guaraná drinks often bore little resemblance to the Brazilian fruit.

It's a very odd fad in the United States, but the fruit itself is pretty good when served as a frozen pulp with granola like this:

http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/5733/ac3a7ac3adx.jpg

I'm gonna have me some when I head down to Brazil in a couple weeks, it's been a while!
dlowan

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2010 09:07 pm
@Robert Gentel,
It's being marketed as some sort of super food in the US (and a bit here), isn't it? Supposed to bring radiant health and thin-ness or something?
dlowan

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2010 09:11 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

I was talking about pomegranate juice. Never actually eaten pomegranate seeds.

I love fresh pomegranate!!! We had one in our garden when I was a kid, and I used to love to eat the seeds one by one. And they just look so damn sensual:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/1b/Pomegranate_close_up.jpg

I like the juice, too.

Acai berries here are miserable dried up little things. I don't MIND the taste, but I'd certainly never bother with them again. I tried them once to see what they were like.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2010 09:28 pm
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:
It's being marketed as some sort of super food in the US (and a bit here), isn't it? Supposed to bring radiant health and thin-ness or something?

Yeah, that's stupid. You'd think they'd catch on after the last "magic Brazilian berry" didn't make the whole country thin. Still, the stuff is damn good with granola (probably super high-calorie too, which make the fad funny).

I think these diet fads (like the Japanese banana diet) are hilarious. Wimmin are silly.
dlowan

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2010 10:00 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Heroically resists bait.

http://www.cartoonstock.com/lowres/wpa0488l.jpg
http://www.offthemarkcartoons.com/cartoons/2008-10-17.gif

Rockhead

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2010 10:06 pm
@dlowan,
the second one made me chuckle...

leave a man to design a diet, and you get meat...(see mr atkins)

but i gotta agree. mostly I hear about crazy diets from crazy wimmins...
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2010 11:44 am
i never thought of the berry (or pom) stuff as diet, i've heard more about the other health buzz word "antioxidant"
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2010 12:14 pm
i wonder whats going to be next on the diet trend.

Hoodia was the last big hit.

Supposed to make you a tall lean african person.

funny how diet magic things are steadily rolling off the conveyor belt and yet the chemicals in foods that are WHAT make you fat, never vary.

a pill wont stop it if you are steady eating it.
0 Replies