Are book stores over?

Miller

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2010 11:55 am
I just bought several of John Sandfords books from Powell. If the order is $25 or more, no charge for mailing. But no express mail as there is with Barnes and Noble.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2010 01:10 pm
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

Apple.

I like Barnes and Noble more than any local bookstore Ive ever been too. They have most everything I've ever wanted, and what I haven't been able to find, amazon or eBay has. I expect that B&N will be around for a while. They just came out with their own ebook, the nook, and their online site is far superior to Amazons.

I heard you just moved into the city. Check out the Book Cellar on Lincoln or Myopic in Wicker Park, if you haven't yet. They might change your conception of local bookstores. That you can choose from among quite a few of them is one of the privileges of living here, or in any decent city.

Go to Myopic for selection, Book Cellar for experience.
plainoldme

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2010 08:03 pm
@hawkeye10,
They're too impersonal and too large in size. I like personal initiative and I love browsing. Of course, you can browse in a big chain and they are nice places to meet when one of your party is uncertain when they will be able to arrive on time, but . . . there is nothing like the individual style of a single proprietorship.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2010 08:51 pm
@Gargamel,
Thanks Garg; I'll give it a try.

Let me know if you want to grab a beer sometime.
Gargamel

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2010 10:25 am
@maporsche,
Hey, good idea. If you work in the Loop it shouldn't be too much trouble to meet up at one of many fine drinking institutions.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 3 Aug, 2010 06:56 pm
Quote:
Barnes & Noble, the giant bookstore chain, said Tuesday afternoon that its board was considering a sale of the company, possibly to an investor group led by its chairman and founder, Leonard Riggio.

The retailer said its board decided to explore a possible sale and other strategic alternatives because its stock was “significantly undervalued.” It said a special committee of its board had hired Lazard as its financial adviser and Morris, Nichols, Arsht & Tunnell as its legal adviser to help evaluate the company’s options.

Shares of Barnes & Noble jumped as much as 27 percent in after-hours trading on Tuesday, rising $3.51, to $16.35. The retailer disclosed that it was considering a possible sale after the stock market closed.

Barnes & Noble said Mr. Riggio, its largest shareholder with about 30 percent of its stock, had told its board that he intended to consider participating in an investor group to acquire the company.
http://dealbook.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/08/03/barnes-noble-to-consider-selling-itself/?hp

Barnes and Noble is no more undervalued than newspapers were 10 years ago when every smart person on the plant came to the same conclusion that newspapers were finished as a business model. Maybe they find some fool to buy them, but I doubt it.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 15 Jan, 2011 07:16 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
Posted: Jan 6, 2011 at 6:04 AM [Jan 6, 2011]

A top bankruptcy expert at the University of Michigan Law School said recent events indicate Ann Arbor-based Borders Group Inc. is toppling toward a bankruptcy filing or a merger with competitor Barnes & Noble.

“One of those things will happen within the next few months,” U-M law professor John Pottow, a national bankruptcy expert, said in an interview. “The amount of losses they’re incurring is not something where they can avoid (restructuring).”

Borders employs about 600 workers at its Ann Arbor headquarters.

Photo by Lon Horwedel | AnnArbor.com
Borders’ challenges are mounting as the company enters the most difficult time of the year for book store chains: the months after the holiday shopping season.
The company, which lost $74.4 million in its 2010 third quarter, is actively seeking new bank financing and trying to restructure vendor payment agreements to avoid running out of cash.

http://www.annarbor.com/business-review/borders-group-merger-or-bankruptcy-filing-inevitable-expert-says/

The death march is almost over....America is about to go through another huge round of book store closings..
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2011 06:51 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:

Borders, the beleaguered bookseller, is preparing to file for bankruptcy as early next week after efforts to refinance its debt faltered, people briefed on the matter said Friday.

The company had largely failed to persuade publishers to convert payments they had been owed since late last year into interest-bearing loans
Borders currently operates more than 650 stores, including about 500 superstores, and employs 19,000 people. The company could close more than 150 of those locations, one of these people said.

http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2011/02/11/borders-prepares-to-file-for-bankruptcy/?hpw
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2011 07:27 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
By Aaron Smith, staff writerFebruary 16, 2011: 8:11 AM ET

NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -- Borders Group has filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy and plans to close 30% of its stores, the book retailer said Wednesday.

"It has become increasingly clear that in light of the environment of curtailed customer spending, our ongoing discussions with publishers and other vendor related parties, and the company's lack of liquidity, Borders Group does not have the capital resources it needs to be a viable competitor," the company said in a statement.

http://money.cnn.com/2011/02/16/news/companies/borders_bankruptcy/index.htm?hpt=T2

On the plus side the stores that remain will get books again...publishers stopped shipping to Borders around mid Dec.
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2011 12:07 pm
@hawkeye10,
list of closing stores plus good story here:
http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2011/02/16/borders-files-for-bankruptcy/?hp
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2011 09:17 pm
Borders announced it had filed for bankruptcy protection and will close 200 of its stores.

I've never been to a Borders. If I had known the chain started in Ann Arbor, I might have made the effort. I continue to patronize independent and used bookstores.
0 Replies