I'm just browsing.....

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2010 08:24 pm
I was just browsing at Goodwill today and came across a copy of "Century", an enormous photo book wherein the editor selected 10 images from each year of the 20th centruy for inclusion.

When and if I ever get a few minutes to sit down I really enjoy browsing through photo books and this one is amazing!

So I'm having fun.

Where or what do you enjoy browsing?

Ya know, besides A2K?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 8 • Views: 1,473 • Replies: 22

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2010 08:27 pm
@boomerang,
The 5 story Barnes and Noble bookstore at Union Square.
Too many books, so little time, not enough money.

Then we have the 5 floors of the Midtown main branch of the NYPL. Nope. Not a pattern at all. Wink
ossobuco

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2010 08:29 pm
@boomerang,
I get a lot of my books from good will now, pretty fair at this one, or maybe some really bright person donated his or her books recently.

No photo books from good will lately, but I've bought several from used book stores.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2010 08:31 pm
@boomerang,
bookstores, though we all know they are disappearing. Elliot bay books in Seattle just moved in the attempt to stay afloat a bit longer, and Powell's in Portland is in deep trouble from what I hear. We have Borders and B&N for now in Oly, all the way across town, and they are kinda OK, though I pretty much boycott B&N now because they took out most of their chairs.

Long ago video stores.

My current fav is the shops at Pike's Market.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2010 08:36 pm
Wow! Bookstores are a popular browse!

I haven't heard about Powell's having problems. That sucks. Powell's shelves new and used together so you can find really good deals. Still, books are so dang expensive which is why I shop Goodwill.

Lately I've been browsing my neighbor's gardens and yards. That's pretty fun.

My mom loves to browse houses and will hit every open house in her area.
roger

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2010 08:38 pm
@tsarstepan,
Even the dinky little bookstores in my town have more than 5 stories. More than that just from the same author.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2010 08:40 pm
@boomerang,
Boomer, you have to have some money to get a real kick out of browsing.
boomerang

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2010 08:42 pm
@ossobuco,
I was browsing my neighbor's garden the other day and she showed up with a lace leaf maple for me to plant in my yard. Didn't cost me a thing!

I found this book for $7.00.

You don't need a lot of money when you're just browsing.
boomerang

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2010 08:42 pm
@roger,
Teehee. You're funny.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2010 08:49 pm
@boomerang,
Honey, seven dollars matters to me. I owe Diane 25 and I don't know how I'll pay it.

On the other hand, a maple to plant, good.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2010 09:04 pm
I have long loved Powells but not been able to afford it. I hope they can gather their wits and carry on.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2010 09:14 pm
Pet stores.

Exotic fish stores to be exact Smile
boomerang

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2010 09:32 pm
@ossobuco,
Yes, seven dollars matters. I've spent the majority of my life without .70 to rub together. Browsing typically means shopping without buying. I'm not really sure how the conversation turned to this but I hope it turns away. I intended this to be a fun thread about what people like to look at and where they like to go.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2010 09:33 pm
@shewolfnm,
Hey shewolf! Long time no see.

I love fish shops. It's easy to kill an entire afternoon in a really good one.

Mr. B and I used to keep salt water tanks and knowing how hard it is only makes me appreciate aquariums even more.
mismi

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2010 10:27 pm
@boomerang,
I love antique stores. Especially the books in antique stores. I have several 100 year old books that I just love to look at and wonder who held them before me.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2010 11:26 pm
I enjoy browsing the feed stores and places like that. They've got all these neat tools and supplies for livestock. I have absolutely no idea what they're for, and seldom ask, but it's interesting to imagine what alternative use I could put them to.

Once in awhile, it even proves useful. I needed a tool to make a fast and dirty groove in wood, so off I went. I don't know what the tool is called and don't know what is is for, but it worked. It's some kind of farrier's tool, and that's all I know.
dadpad

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2010 02:20 am
@roger,
Maybe a hoof pick roger. used for cleaning the underside of the hoof.

men browse hardware stores. Also clearing sales.

do you have clearing sales over there? thats when a farm or property gets sold and the outgoing owner sells up all the miscellaneouse crap he's accumulated over the years that the new owner doesnt want. much like a giant garage sale. The goods are laid out and auctioned. Often good stuff is batched with crap just to get rid of it.
heres some examples. (PDF file)
http://theland.farmonline.com.au/clearing/_upload/clearing/92/2010_04_15/Page19154.pdf

Dyna drill; Teck guns; vices;
GMC grinder; jigsaw & orbital sander; Metarbo
hammer drill; 25 amp battery charger; bench
grinder; electrical equipment tester; steel work
bench with vice; assorted nails; 20T jacks; 10T
jacks; jumper leads; assorted spanners; Sidchrome
socket set; Kinchrome wall mounted tool chest; wire
rope lever hoists; endless chain block & tackles;
timber bits; steel bits; masonry bits; electrical
fittings; toolboxes; oxy sets (4); large qty nuts, bolts,
screws; air tools; ear muffs; corking gun; hack saws;
levels; bolt cutters; jack hammer points.

SUNDRY:
Steel tressells for still fixing; star pickets;
wire; chains; wire rope slings assorted lengths &
weights; lifting chains; crowbars; shovels; spades;
handheld posthole borer; hard hats; dump pegs;
wheelbarrows; extension ladders; heavy duty tarp
13m x 3.2m.
Assorted bolts/nuts & tools too numerous to
mention.

roger

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2010 02:44 am
@dadpad,
That kind of thing usually goes through an auction house. Been to two of them. People seem to lose there sanity and sense of value after about three items. I don't care much for the environment.
dadpad

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2010 02:53 am
@roger,
Here it done on site.
Its the whole atmosphere. Meeting people you havnt seen for a while. Having a sausage from the football club BBQ, or a cuppa tea and scone from the CWA Ladies. Thinking about what you could do if you did buy that . Wondering if its really a good idea to buy 85 meters of 2.5 inch poly pipe when all you really need is 2 meters...but it might come in handy at some point.
yep people do lose their heads a bit sometimes, why the hell would they pay $75.00 for that box of junk? might be something collectible.
boomerang

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2010 07:01 am
There is an antique hardware/houseparts store in my neighborhood! It would be a great date spot for mismi and roger or mismi and dadpad!

I like antiques shops too mismi. Escpecially the grimy, dusty kind.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » I'm just browsing.....
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/01/2024 at 04:39:43