will i ever become a fashion desaighner

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2010 03:07 am
im super fashionable and have 2 books filled with desaighns
will i ever become a fashion desaighner ?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 1,376 • Replies: 15
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by ANIMALGIRL
jespah

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2010 06:18 am
Go to school for Fashion Design.
kuvasz

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2010 10:22 am
@ANIMALGIRL,
Try the Fashion Institute of Technology in New York City or Philadelphia University in Philly, both have accredited fashion design programs that are world famous.

http://www.fitnyc.edu/

http://www.philau.edu/

The former is located in the middle of a huge city while the latter has a campus that looks like the suburbs. I went to the latter school where I took a course in weaving and used a hand loom to make my designed fabrics.
firefly

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2010 12:19 pm
@ANIMALGIRL,
Are you willing to put in the time, and, effort, and complete the necessary schooling, required to become a fashion designer?
mm25075

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2010 01:22 pm
@jespah,
jespah wrote:

Go to school for Fashion Design.

EPIC win! Smile
ANIMALGIRL

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2010 12:53 am
@jespah,
ok thanks
0 Replies

ANIMALGIRL

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2010 12:54 am
@kuvasz,
great thanks
0 Replies

ANIMALGIRL

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2010 12:55 am
@firefly,
yes i am
0 Replies

ANIMALGIRL

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2010 12:56 am
@mm25075,
ok thanks
tsarstepan
  Selected Answer

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2010 04:15 am
@ANIMALGIRL,
The key thing is to continue practice drawing and design and color schemes. Build up your portfolio of potential clothing designs. Feel free to be wild and/or imaginative. Feel free to be unpractical and excessive.

Then do the opposite. Dive into the practical and functional. Push hard for the envelope of designs that are pragmatic and minimalist.

Then formulate the most difficult science of fashion design: Discover the true middle ground. Design clothes that are practical, yet imaginative, and show the perfect amount of design without being excessive.

After you get a large enough portfolio, then send the best designs into as many fashion schools as possible. Hold confidence with your work!

Good luck!
Very Happy
shewolfnm

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2010 06:01 am
you will become it if you want it.
It is that simple.

Yes, the schooling is important, if not for anything else... it will help you get in contact with people who CAN put you where you need to be.

0 Replies

ANIMALGIRL

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2010 08:17 am
@tsarstepan,
thanks thats the best awnser yet
0 Replies

saab

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2010 08:37 am
It is very good too if you can sew your own cloth. Design is not just to draw things on paper, but also to know how certain materials are working. So sewing and tailoring is important.It is good you do a lot of hand drawing but computer-aided design is also important. It is also a good idea to make pattern drafting for your future portefolie.
For the fun you should learn some things about fashion and even art history as that probably will be included in a program at a good school.

ANIMALGIRL

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2010 08:45 am
@saab,
i have practised alot thanks anyway
0 Replies

INIFDGn

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2016 12:11 am
Go to school for Fashion Design Course.
0 Replies

dinknyca

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2016 11:20 am
@ANIMALGIRL,
Anyone can be a designer now a days, especially if you got the money. But if you mean actually honing the craft, understanding construction, and designing real product from inspiration than that's another story. You have to be willing to work for it, and be driven. It's a lot of work and not as glam as people would think. Trips to factories, analyzing the most smallest details, catering to the customers. Go to an real fashion school like F.I.T. in New York.
0 Replies