SquareTrade Extended Warranties

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2010 07:15 pm
http://www.squaretrade.com/pages/

Anyone ever use them? And/or what are your thoughts on buying extended warranties?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 809 • Replies: 5
No top replies

roger

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2010 07:52 pm
@maporsche,
I looked. They offered an iphone warranty for $99.xx covering your phone for two years, up to $299.xx. Also available with a monthly payment option. Really? One hundred dollars to cover three hundred dollars, and the manufactor probably includes the first year as part of the price.

I've been offered these third party warranties on stuff costing less than $50.00. If it were free, I'm not sure it would be worth the hassle of securing enforcement. On major appliances, the cost is almost always equal to the cost of one major repair, which you are not likely to need anyway.

In other words, you could say I'm negative on the concept.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2010 08:17 pm
I guess I should clarify. I'm considering a $2000 TV purchase, which I think squaretrade offers near a $200 warranty for. I wouldn't consider a warranty for anything less than $500.
roger

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2010 08:21 pm
@maporsche,
In terms of premium/payout, it's better than the iPhone deal I looked up. I would give it a maybe, if the enforcement process isn't too big a deal, and the term is long enough. What does the manufactor offer with the sale, though? It's probably at least a year.

Yeah, under $500 probably isn't worth insuring.
maporsche

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2010 08:29 pm
@roger,
Yeah, it's a Samsung. 1yr parts and labor.

The SquareTrade warranty is 3 years (but only 2 years after the manufacture warranty expires.
Irishk

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2010 11:15 pm
@maporsche,
I remember reading some positive comments on Square Trade at the AVS forum a few months ago when I was doing some research on TVs.. They've been around a long time...10 years or so. You might want to ask over there.

For electronics, expensive or otherwise, I use the extended warranty offered by my credit card at no charge.

0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » SquareTrade Extended Warranties
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/02/2024 at 02:20:11