Myelograms...anybody had one?

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2010 06:12 pm
My orthopedist has ordered an myelogram and cat scan of my lower back to determine the cause of my back pain. Normally, they would just do an MRI, but I can't have one of those because I have a pacemaker/defibrillator. I am very nervous about this procedure. Anybody have words of wisdom?

ossobuco

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2010 11:36 pm
@mags314772,
Mags, I don't know what to say, it all sound very icky - so I have no words of wisdom. Your orthopod may not be right, but probably is. Is the cat scan first?
jespah

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2010 06:15 am
@ossobuco,
I don't know, either, just offering support.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2010 07:20 am
@mags314772,
Have a look at some introductory stuff....I dont know what your doctor has told you....http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myelography
Dont worry about the procedure..they do them everyday. There is a little bit of pain but it is usually done to find a source of considerable pain so you are on the way to being fixed...relax and enjoy the ride to brag to friends about it.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2010 12:49 pm
@mags314772,
I don't think you should be nervous about it. It's just x-rays done with the use of a contrast dye. The dye travels, and the x-rays will show any blockages of a nerve root or the spinal cord because the dye will reveal these.

My mother had an arteriogram, which is a very similar type of procedure. In her case, the dye was injected to help visualize any blockages in the arteries of her legs, and x-rays then tracked the flow of the dye. As I recall, she had no real problems, or discomfort during the procedure, and I was in the room with her.

The main risks, from tests of this type, that use contrast dyes, are possible reactions to the dye. These risks are actually very small, and many, many different kinds of procedures are done everyday using dyes. If you have any history of allergies to dyes, or simply any history of allergies, you should inform your doctor about them. Even with allergies, they can generally still do the test, they just take additional precautions to prevent an allergic reaction.

I really think you shouldn't worry needlessly. These tests are pretty routinely done, with no ill effects.

I hope the test helps to lead to successful treatment for your back problems.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Myelograms...anybody had one?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/10/2024 at 10:09:32