Is a hell a good or bad place?

Ionus

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2010 09:52 pm
@neologist,
Of course there are contradictions. Most stories appear two or three times. There are two creation stories.
Pemerson

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2010 09:54 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

Believe the lie if you wish; but when you're dead, you're dead.

That does not discount the possibility of resurrection.

Resurrection? When we have accomplished what Jesus accomplished, then we will be able to "resurrect" whomever and whatever we wish, heal people, co-create). Said Jesus, "Ye can do these things, even more so than me." (not exact words).
neologist

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2010 11:18 pm
@Ionus,
Really!?
neologist

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2010 11:32 pm
@Pemerson,
Exact reference will get my attention. Otherwise, yer just flappin yer lips
BDV

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2010 08:54 am
@neologist,
I believe the quotes can be found here : John 14:12 and John 6:28-29
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2010 08:32 am
@neologist,
Yes, really.
Pemerson

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2010 12:25 pm
NEOLOGIST, did you want all of it? You got it. You could also read the Gnostic Gospels - You know, those books (manuscripts) found in Egypt in the 1940s that weren't included in the Bible by the early Bishops?
Top Bible Verse Profile
John 14:6
Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me." (NIV)

Jesus said to him, I am the Way and the Truth and the Life; no one comes to the Father except by (through) Me. (AMP)

Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me. (KJV)

Context
Modern | Expanded | Olde | All
1 "Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in me." 2 My Father's house has plenty of room; if that were not so, would I have told you that I am going there to prepare a place for you? 3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am. 4 "You know the way to the place where I am going." 5 Thomas said to him, "Lord, we don't know where you are going, so how can we know the way?" 6 Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me." 7 "If you really know me, you will know my Father as well. From now on, you do know him and have seen him." 8 Philip said, "Lord, show us the Father and that will be enough for us." 9 Jesus answered: "Don't you know me, Philip, even after I have been among you such a long time? Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, 'Show us the Father'?" 10 Don't you believe that I am in the Father, and that the Father is in me? The words I say to you I do not speak on my own authority. Rather, it is the Father, living in me, who is doing his work. 11 Believe me when I say that I am in the Father and the Father is in me; or at least believe on the evidence of the works themselves. 12 Very truly I tell you, all who have faith in me will do the works I have been doing, and they will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father. 13 And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son. 14 You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it. 15 "If you love me, keep my commands." (NIV)

1 DO NOT let your hearts be troubled (distressed, agitated). You believe in and adhere to and trust in and rely on God; believe in and adhere to and trust in and rely also on Me. 2 In My Father's house there are many dwelling places (homes). If it were not so, I would have told you; for I am going away to prepare a place for you. 3 And when (if) I go and make ready a place for you, I will come back again and will take you to Myself, that where I am you may be also. 4 And [to the place] where I am going, you know the way. 5 Thomas said to Him, Lord, we do not know where You are going, so how can we know the way? 6 Jesus said to him, I am the Way and the Truth and the Life; no one comes to the Father except by (through) Me. 7 If you had known Me [had learned to recognize Me], you would also have known My Father. From now on, you know Him and have seen Him. 8 Philip said to Him, Lord, show us the Father [cause us to see the Father--that is all we ask]; then we shall be satisfied. 9 Jesus replied, Have I been with all of you for so long a time, and do you not recognize and know Me yet, Philip? Anyone who has seen Me has seen the Father. How can you say then, Show us the Father? 10 Do you not believe that I am in the Father, and that the Father is in Me? What I am telling you I do not say on My own authority and of My own accord; but the Father Who lives continually in Me does the (His) works (His own miracles, deeds of power). 11 Believe Me that I am in the Father and the Father in Me; or else believe Me for the sake of the [very] works themselves. [If you cannot trust Me, at least let these works that I do in My Father's name convince you.] 12 I assure you, most solemnly I tell you, if anyone steadfastly believes in Me, he will himself be able to do the things that I do; and he will do even greater things than these, because I go to the Father. 13 And I will do [I Myself will grant] whatever you ask in My Name [as presenting all that I AM], so that the Father may be glorified and extolled in (through) the Son. [Exod. 3:14.] 14 [Yes] I will grant [I Myself will do for you] whatever you shall ask in My Name [as presenting all that I AM]. 15 If you [really] love Me, you will keep (obey) My commands. (AMP)

1 Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me. 2 In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. 3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also. 4 And whither I go ye know, and the way ye know. 5 Thomas saith unto him, Lord, we know not whither thou goest; and how can we know the way? 6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me. 7 If ye had known me, ye should have known my Father also: and from henceforth ye know him, and have seen him. 8 Philip saith unto him, Lord, shew us the Father, and it sufficeth us. 9 Jesus saith unto him, Have I been so long time with you, and yet hast thou not known me, Philip? he that hath seen me hath seen the Father; and how sayest thou then, Shew us the Father? 10 Believest thou not that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? the words that I speak unto you I speak not of myself: but the Father that dwelleth in me, he doeth the works. 11 Believe me that I am in the Father, and the Father in me: or else believe me for the very works' sake. 12 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father. 13 And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. 14 If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it. 15 If ye love me, keep my commandments. (KJV)
neologist

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2010 10:12 pm
@Pemerson,
Pemerson wrote:
John 14:6
Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me." (NIV)
This simply proves that Jesus is not the same person as his father.
Quote:
12 Very truly I tell you, all who have faith in me will do the works I have been doing, and they will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father. 13 And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son. 14 You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it. 15 "If you love me, keep my commands." (NIV)
And the preaching that Jesus started has now expanded greatly throughout the entire world.

Oh, did you think he meant healings and resurrections?

(1 Corinthians 13:8-10) . . .Love never fails. But whether there are [gifts of] prophesying, they will be done away with; whether there are tongues, they will cease; whether there is knowledge, it will be done away with. 9 For we have partial knowledge and we prophesy partially; 10 but when that which is complete arrives, that which is partial will be done away with. . .
emphasis mine.
neologist

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2010 10:17 pm
@Ionus,
Time to get specific. But this disclaimer:

If you think you might overwhelm me with many examples, allow me to apologize in advance for choosing only one or two for response.

I'm a man of few words.

And I'm busy selling cool stuff on eBay.
Pemerson

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2010 10:35 pm
@neologist,
Neologist: This is about all that matters:

10 Believest thou not that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? the words that I speak unto you I speak not of myself: but the Father that dwelleth in me, he doeth the works. 11 Believe me that I am in the Father, and the Father in me: or else believe me for the very works' sake. 12 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father. 13 And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. 14 If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it. 15 If ye love me, keep my commandments. (KJV)

This is pure metaphysics. Jesus himself was a man, but he was in contact with that part within [us all] that he refers to as "my Father."

I don't know if we are having an argument, or agreeing. Except maybe I think we have to do these things for ourselves. Nobody does it for us just because we "have faith."
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2010 04:40 am
@neologist,
Quote:
Genesis 1:1-3:24

What I first noticed as I started reading the Bible is that there are two different creation stories. The first is Genesis 1:1-2:3, and the second is Genesis 2:4-25. Lots of people have noticed this -- the helpful textual notes in the edition of the Bible I am using point that out, and tell me that it is thought that the two versions come from two different sources.

It is the first that sets out the seven days of creation:

Day 1: heavens, earth, light, day and night.
Day 2: the "dome" (sky) that separates the waters below (on earth) from the waters above the sky.
Day 3: dry land and vegetation.
Day 4: stars, moon, sun.
Day 5: water creatures and birds.
Day 6: land animals; humankind (both male and female). The number of human beings created is not specified. Also, God here gives to people "every plant yielding seed that is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree with seed in its fruit; you shall have them for food" (Gen 1:29) -- no prohibitions.
Day 7: God rested, and blessed this day.
In the second creation story, things are a little different. First of all, individual days are not specified. And the sequence is very different:

earth and heavens; no rain yet but a spring would well up and water the ground
from dust, man was created (not woman yet)
garden of Eden -- man is put here; garden includes the tree of life and the tree of knowledge of good and evil
God tells man to till and keep the garden of Eden, but not to eat of the tree of knowledge of good and evil (note that Woman has not entered the scene yet! Man is alone).
God notices that Man is alone and wants to find him a helper and partner, so He first creates animals and birds and Man names them. But still there was no helper as partner.
God makes Man fall asleep, pulls out a rib, and makes Woman.
The story of original sin then ensues.
In the first story, all of creation is good. In the second story, even the garden of Eden is not a place of relaxed enjoyment, but a place of work (Gen 2:15), and a place where something is off-limits (Gen 2:16-17). God tells Man that if he does eat of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, he will die that very day (Gen 2:17). But later, that's not what happens.

While it may seem unjust that Woman, who wasn't even there yet when this prohibition was originally stated, then gets punished for eating of that tree, it is clear that she knew of the prohibition (Gen 3:2-3). Once Woman and Man eat of the tree, God says, "'See, the man has become like one of us, knowing good and evil; and now, he might reach out his hand and take also from the tree of life, and eat, and live forever'" (Gen 3:22) and this is why they get kicked out of the garden of Eden -- so they won't become immortal.

While I find many aspects of this second creation story troubling, I am fascinated by the relating the concept of "knowledge of good and evil" with "wisdom" and that being a divine characteristic. Also, it is true that perceiving the world through a moral lens makes existence more painful. But what troubles me is that, as the story is told, originally amoral beings are yet held morally accountable and are punished. Without knowledge of good and evil, they couldn't have known it was bad or wrong to disobey God.

So, maybe the story shouldn't be read morally. Maybe it is not, after all, a story of punishment for disobedience. Maybe God really was trying to say, "if you eat of this tree, everything will change, and you might not like it." Eventually, they do eat of that tree. Sure enough: everything changes. God says, "ok, now this kind of existence will be much harder, so you won't want to live forever anymore..." and closes off access to the tree of life as an act of compassion.

If so, does this mean that the concept of "original sin" (the most common interpretation of this second creation story) is not so much due to a moral disobedience somehow present in us in the start (because this contradicts the original amoral casting of human beings), but is better taken to express the essential pain inherent in moral awareness? It's not that we've done anything wrong -- its that awareness of right and wrong simply does make life difficult and painful.

Anyway, the word "sin" has not at all come up yet in this passage of the Bible. So even interpreting this story as a tale of original sin must have been a later interpretation of it.

http://bible-wonderings.blogspot.com/2006/01/two-creation-stories.html
neologist

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2010 12:24 pm
@Ionus,
Cut and paste posts impress me very little, especially those full of wayward opinion.

Since you have loaded the board, forgive me if I focus on only one issue.

Adam and Eve did die on the day they ate.
In actuality, as in "dead man walking", they lost their perfection.
Symbolically, as to God "a day is as a thousand years" (2 Peter 3:8)
And, literally, as nowhere does it say that the seventh creative day has ended.

You weren't naive enough to think these were 24 hour days, were you?
Ionus

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2010 08:09 pm
@neologist,
Nice side track. Can you or can you not see two creation stories ?
neologist

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2010 11:39 pm
@Ionus,
Both the same
Ionus

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2010 07:34 am
@neologist,
Quote:
Both the same
So you can see two stories but you think they are both the same ?
neologist

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2010 09:32 am
@Ionus,
There is nothing in chapter 2 to contradict that which was written in chapter 1.

The statement in verse 4 simply underscores that the creative days are not literal 24 hour days, but indeterminate periods of time, the seventh of which has not yet ended.
0 Replies

gorgina

Reply Sun 6 Jun, 2010 03:21 pm
@BDV,
Hail is really bad ways
0 Replies

jeeprs

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 10:47 pm
@BDV,
personally I reckon there is plenty of sex, but no orgasms.

That would be hell, wouldn't it?
Ionus

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2010 06:14 pm
@jeeprs,
Sounds like women live in hell.
0 Replies

Krumple

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2010 06:20 pm
@tenderfoot,
tenderfoot wrote:

I belive all the beer barrels there have holes in them and the girls don't

this was my favorite response even though i hate it. this definitely would be my definition of hell. as material as it is, it would have to be. could a god be so cruel as to allow the existence of such a realm? burn me to a crisp, torture me with not allowing me to hang out with you, but a place where women do not have holes is just too much to bare.