A Graveyard of once Great Products that are now Crap.

hawkeye10

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2010 12:08 am
@Setanta,
first hit on my google search trans fat "shelf life"
Quote:
Trans fat comes from adding hydrogen to vegetable oil through a process called hydrogenation. Trans fats are more solid than oil is, making them less likely to spoil. Using trans fats in the manufacturing of foods helps foods stay fresh longer, have a longer shelf life and have a less greasy feel.
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/trans-fat/cl00032

if you have any understanding of economics the rest of my claim does not need proof, as it is common sense.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2010 06:07 am
Leaving aside that "common sense" is notoriously unreliable, you are dancing around the issue. You claimed that this was the primary reason for the use of trans fats, and this is flatly contradicted by the Wikipedia article. That article lists three reasons--that hydrogenated fats produce a more desirable consistency, that they are cheaper than animal fat based products (there's your economic consideration Mr. Common Sense) and finally that it was once believed that they were more healthy than saturated animal fats. So, you make an assumption about the importance of shelf-life, and in a manner typical of you, you claim your point is made because you went out to search for something and you found it--surprise, surprise. Your quoted article does not substantiate your claim that that was the principle consideration in the decision to use trans fats.

If you had any understanding of the English language, you'd know (although i'd bet you'd never admit) that you have failed to make your case. Your just a contrarian. All you really ever have to "contribute" is to contradict others. Your "sources," like this one and so many others you post do not support the claim you have made.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2010 06:13 am
On another thread I'm debating Hawkeye about the dangers of smoking and here he is embracing trans-fats. I think I see a Darwin Award in the making.
Setanta

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2010 06:32 am
@Green Witch,
I saw that . . . i didn't consider his bullshit worth tackling. You do him an undeserved honor to refer to his contrarian sniping as debate. As for a Darwin award, we should only be so lucky . . .
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2010 06:35 am
@Philis,
Philis- Mr. P. is extremely allergic, and has a serious digestive problem. None of the docs have definitively diagnosed the problem; might be Crohns', irritable bowel, or eosinophilic gastroenteritis.

He is just coming off a long attack of whatever it is, and I have been very careful about what I feed him. Do you know what never bothers him???

McDONALD'S!!!! Their burgers have never caused him any problems. (No fries, though.)

While I am in a writing mood, I have a few nasty things to say about Daniel Green slippers. In their day, they were the Mercedes of slippers. They are now made in China. I bought a pair a few months ago. They cost around $45.00. The color (gold) has scraped off in a number of places. Now the linings at the toes are coming apart.

I had another pair of slippers that I had bought at a bargain store a few years ago, for about $6.95 They were of a similar style, but made of vinyl, rather than leather. They looked good and lasted a long time.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2010 10:17 am
Cough medicine.

The stuff that used to have codeine was awesome! It may not have cured your cough, but it knocked you out cold and then you'd wake up in some Shanghai opium den or something. Useful for keeping the kiddies quiet on long car rides, too! Now cough medicine is just orange-colored, syrupy, cherry-flavored placebo. GIVE ME MY CODEINE!!!
Pemerson

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2010 11:35 am
Those bargain towels ($8) at J.C.Penny where, after washing, half of them was left in the drier lint catcher. They don't absorb water until about a year of washing.

Same for the sheets with the silky soft little stripe that is left in the drier.
Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2010 12:55 pm
@Pemerson,
When you dry towels, don't use a fabric softener like Bounce. It lessens the absorption of the fabric.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2010 03:59 pm
@joefromchicago,
I remember that... something called Cheracol (or similar name).
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2010 04:05 pm
@Phoenix32890,
Shouldn't use it on warm, winter clothes either. It reduces the insulating ability of all fabrics.

On the other hand, a couple of sheets in a skillet with baked on grease makes it somewhat easier to clean. A roll of Bounce should last for years.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2010 05:36 pm
@sullyfish6,
Do you mean those little triangular windows at the front of the larger windows that opened independently?
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2010 05:38 pm
@Joe Nation,
You can still buy a Waring blendor with two speeds. I have one in my kitchen that I bought in 2007.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2010 05:40 pm
@Linkat,
Is "In and Out" the name of the restaurant? They must not be in MA.
plainoldme

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2010 05:44 pm
@Setanta,
I remember when margarine was marketed as lower in fat and better for you than butter. The Dairy industry came back with the info that both butter and margarine have the same amount of fat and that margarine also has artificial coloring.

We never had margarine at home because me dad remembered the old days and what it looked like before the yellow color was added.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2010 04:51 am
One of the big selling points to industry for hydrogenated vegetable oils in margarine was that you could take the margarine from the fridge and it was immediately "spreadable." Margarine makers have been advertising the "spreadable" aspect ever since. Land-o-Lakes responded by putting whipped butter in a tub. It wasn't entirely successful, but it did make for somewhat "spreadable" butter.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2010 12:53 pm
@joefromchicago,
Well the doctor can still prescribe the codiene variety.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2010 12:54 pm
@plainoldme,
Nope - in California. Had my In and Out burger - the best! The fries too are made with fresh pototoes - you can watch them cutting them right in the store.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/18/2024 at 03:32:59