A Graveyard of once Great Products that are now Crap.

Setanta

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2010 12:43 am
@sullyfish6,
Good one . . . i hadn't thought about those in forever . . . i miss them, too . . .
0 Replies

Philis

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2010 06:19 am
@Green Witch,
The Washington-based group, Genetically Engineered Food Alert, was responsible for research that led to Kraft's 2000 recall of taco shells containing StarLink, a genetically altered corn approved for animals but not humans. Other companies later recalled products that also contained the corn variety.

Camden, New Jersey-based Campbell, the world's biggest soup maker, launched the first genetically modified food, the Flavr Savr tomato, which was engineered for a longer shelf life than ordinary tomatoes.

There is no real fruit in the Taco Bell Frutista Freeze.
0 Replies

Philis

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2010 06:21 am
Once-upon-time chinese restaurants used real sweet n' sour sauce, now they have converted to canned snss.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2010 06:25 am
@panzade,
Thank you. I've had the feeling lately that I had lost my sense of humor. Cheers!

Joe(stop me if you've heard this one... .)Nation
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2010 08:04 pm
I had a conversation with a woman about how terrible most fast food is. She had been a public defender in Ohio and had to travel, like an old time circuit rider. She said that food available on the run was fatty, starchy and tasteless, with few veggies available other than lettuce and tomato. I had to agree. Another reason for packing your own.

We both felt that McDonalds' food once had flavor.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2010 08:09 pm
@plainoldme,
You forgot to mention that they cover this lack of flavor with salt. When the food Nazi's force them to lower salt like has happened already with the grocery store manufactures the fast food companies are going to be in trouble.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2010 08:38 pm
The trans-fats, which no one can reliably say what they are, are out. Next is corn syrup. We have somehow become a nation which bases it's entire food-stocks on corn. We shove corn down the throats of cattle (they won't eat it naturally) to make them fat then we eat them and (wow) we get get fat. We feed pigs and chicken corn mash and antibiotics and get nice white chops and breasts and even more fat people. Then, because we have more corn than the PLANET could eat, we make the rest into syrups and additive and starches and dump it by the ton and gallon into our food supply. GOLLLLy, I wonder why we have to measure the width of our schoolchildren with axhandles???

All it would take it one or two years of a corn blight to put this country in the same place as Ireland during the potato famine.

Joe(enjoy eating the grass on your front lawn)Nation
DrewDad

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2010 08:52 pm
@Joe Nation,
Joe Nation wrote:
The trans-fats, which no one can reliably say what they are, are out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trans_fat

Quote:
The process of hydrogenation adds hydrogen atoms to cis-unsaturated fats, eliminating double bonds and making them into partially or completely saturated fats. These more-completely saturated fats have a higher melting point, which makes them more attractive for baking, and the saturation extends their shelf-life. However, partial hydrogenation converts a part of cis-isomers into trans-unsaturated fats instead of hydrogenating them completely. Complete hydrogenation converts the fat into a saturated "hard" fat.

The trans fatty acid elaidic acid has different chemical and physical properties owing to the slightly different bond configuration. Notably, it has a much higher melting point, 45 °C rather than oleic acid's 13.4 °C, due to the ability of the trans molecules to pack more tightly, forming a solid that is more difficult to break apart.[27] This notably means that it is a solid at human body temperatures.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2010 09:14 pm
@Joe Nation,
Quote:
The trans-fats, which no one can reliably say what they are, are out
Wrong, we know what they are, we just can't get the experts to decide if they are good for us or not. The last few studies have said they are not as good as other forms of fat, so a panic has taken place. Maybe the next round goes the other way, who knows.
Green Witch

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2010 09:23 pm
@hawkeye10,
The science is conclusive and not at all fuzzy - trans-fats are crap.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2010 09:50 pm
@Green Witch,
wake me up in 20 years, they may have figured it all out by then
Quote:
How much trans fat is safe? No one really knows. Kava says the prestigious Institute of Medicine reported that there isn't enough research yet to recommend a safe amount of trans fats. "We know that like saturated fats, trans fats can raise bad cholesterol, but there is conflicting data about what it does to good cholesterol," she says. "I wish the data were stronger."

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/trans-fats-science-and-risks?page=2
Linkat

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2010 12:11 pm
@plainoldme,
In and Out Burger - now that Burger has flavor - gonna get me some next week!
Joe Nation

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2010 12:42 pm
@hawkeye10,
Here's what I think: if it (trans-fat) doesn't occur naturally, our natural bodies are going to have a bad time with it.

That's probably short-sighted but my belly agrees.

Joe(erp)Nation
Green Witch

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2010 05:40 pm
I'm related to a somewhat well known heart surgeon who is in his late 60's and he has seen a lot of people with heart problems due to a diet heavy in trans-fats. He talks about how Eskimos can scarf down the whale blubber and not end up with heart disease, but the person who eats Lean Cuisines, Keebler bran muffins and margarine is going end up on his operating table. He thinks the last 40 years of ever increasing trans-fats in our diet is why heart disease has soared in America and is now the number one killer. He's a big believer in the idea that we need to go back to grass fed animals (for meat and dairy) and olive oil to reverse the trend.
Amigo

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2010 07:00 pm
Everything sucks now.

Make and grow your own stuff and trade it. Thats what we do.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2010 10:09 pm
@Green Witch,
We have trans fats because 40 years ago, every one was worried about saturated fats, and the trans fats were introduced as a substitute for them. Now we're learning the price to be paid for them. The real bottom line is that people love the taste of fatty foods, so nobody is looking at how to eliminate them from our diets, they're looking at ways to give the public what they want without killing them too soon.
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2010 10:15 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:

We have trans fats because 40 years ago, every one was worried about saturated fats, and the trans fats were introduced as a substitute for them
that was the minor reason, the major reason is that trans fats have a relatively long shelf life.
Philis

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2010 11:20 pm
@plainoldme,
I saw a show about McDonalds and how they get their flavor for their foods. They basically have a testing/research team in a lab and try many different flavors from jars that all look the same. They test many flavors and choose one that they like to add to their burgers and eggs and so forth. After seeing that , there is nothing real in their food.
Philis

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2010 11:24 pm
@Joe Nation,
Joe Nation wrote:

Here's what I think: if it (trans-fat) doesn't occur naturally, our natural bodies are going to have a bad time with it.

Exactly what I think, yell it from the mountain tops, it is some common sense here.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2010 11:51 pm
@hawkeye10,
You really make yourself out to be a know-it-all, but i have no good reason to assume that you know much at all. You just like to contradict others, and provide no support for your claims.

Quote:
Production of hydrogenated fats increased steadily until the 1960s as processed vegetable fats replaced animal fats in the US and other western countries. At first, the argument was a financial one due to lower costs; however, advocates also said that the unsaturated trans fats of margarine were healthier than the saturated fats of butter.

That's from the Wikipedia article, and they cite as their source Ascherio A, Stampfer MJ, Willett WC. "Trans fatty acids and coronary heart disease".

Earlier in the same article:

Quote:
The fat industry found that hydrogenated fats provided some special features to margarines, which unlike butter, allowed margarine to be taken out of the refrigerator and immediately spread on a slice of bread. By some minor changes to the chemical composition of hydrogenated fat, they also found such hydrogenated fat provided superior baking properties compared to lard. Margarine made from hydrogenated soybean oil began to replace butterfat. Hydrogenated fat such as Crisco and Spry, sold in England, began to replace lard in the baking of bread, pies, cookies, and cakes in 1920

They cite as their source Fred A. Kummerow (2008). Cholesterol Won't Kill You " But Trans Fat Could.

No mention of shelf-life at all, and certainly no claim that that were the principle reason for switching to trans fats.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/30/2024 at 07:32:05