We have children, then they leave home and we are lost! Were does the time go.

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2010 09:19 pm
I often wonder what my life would have been like if I didn't marry at a young age and had children. Would I be as lonely as I am right at this moment. Would I have gone to college and done what I love to do or would I still be the most lonely person in the world right now. I guess that I just feel so lost since two of my children have moved away and my husbun is gone a lot. I haven't had any new friends in a long time. Part of the reason why, is because married people are so busy with their spouse that I feel like a third wheel. And single people are looking for a relationship with some one. So, any Ideas were to find a friend that has time for someone else in their lives?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 8 • Views: 1,120 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Pemerson

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2010 09:30 pm
@Lisa Marie,
Since you are a single mom you must be working, though you didn't say. I always made most of my friends through my working positions, or taking classes. Have you thought of going back to school, college?

Also, lots of friends were made through my kids, i.e., parents of their friends. You don't have to be lonely, with or without kids. You have your self, your interests?
0 Replies

sullyfish6

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2010 06:08 am
You have "empty nest" syndrome. I thoroughly understand.

But you can use all this free time to re-invent yourself.

Indulge yourself and get a makeover.

Watch for the opportunity to help others - maybe other mothers who need your expertise.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2010 09:02 am
Acquire a hobby that women do, then seek out a group for that hobby. Crocheting, knitting, book discussions, flower growing?
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2010 09:06 am
I have full nest syndrome.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2010 09:13 am
@Lisa Marie,
Lisa Marie wrote:
So, any Ideas were to find a friend that has time for someone else in their lives?

How about multiple friends instead of just one? A little time with each friend, and suddenly you have a rich life, without having to supplant someone's spouse or family with your needs.
DrewDad

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2010 10:53 am
@DrewDad,
http://cdn-www.i-am-bored.com/media/microcookingonebook.jpg
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2010 08:52 pm
@Lisa Marie,
I'm wondering what your relationship with your husband is like?

As for friends, there are many avenues to meet people :
- Sporting clubs (doesn't have to be active - lawn bowls, croquet come to mind)
- volunteer organisations (charities, hospitals, services, environmental groups etc)
- hobby clubs (eg Bridge, quilting, scrapbooking, chess, etc)
- organisations like Rotary, Toastmasters etc

As you meet new people, invite them over for something like drinks, dinner, BBQ's etc...or out for coffee, etc

By the way, if you had children early in life, then it's likely not too late to go and get your degree.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2010 09:01 pm
@vikorr,
or to take classes at the local college or college extension. As an adult, I once took an art class at a local high school at night, the start of many more rewarding art classes.

There are clubs - photography clubs for people at different levels of ability, including none, with cameras, even the cheapest, as composition is not dependent on the money into the camera - and many other possible clubs, such as gardening.

There is volunteering, which can pull you out to looking past yourself and while doing that, finding a kind of community.
0 Replies

Philis

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2010 12:18 am
@Lisa Marie,
LM, whatever interest, big or little, there is a club or group you can go to. I recently joined a sailing club and I garden. Tell us what, if any, interests you have Very Happy
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2010 12:40 am
@Lisa Marie,
Quote:
Part of the reason why, is because married people are so busy with their spouse that I feel like a third wheel
I am not buying....if you are not making friends it is for one of two reasons. A) you are a bitch B) you don't want it bad enough to do the work. I assume that it is B

You also have the option of enjoying your own company enough that it does not matter if you have friends around. That is where I am, friends are great, being by myself is great.
0 Replies