please help me fill the W2 and 1040EZ

brahmin

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2010 12:13 pm
hi,

i was a student in an american university during the last one year and have worked as a stuent worker. now i have got the W2 in the mail. I have to file it by the 15th and also fill up and mail the 1040EZ if i am to get a refund on the taxes i paid.

Can anyone please help me with this? Do i have to attach any other documents or fill up any other forms??
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 3,794 • Replies: 20
No top replies

roger

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2010 02:07 pm
@brahmin,
If all your income was from wages, and you received a W-2 that included those wages, you need no further documentation.

Mostly, it is a matter of reading the lines and putting in the number they are asking for. Just get your filing status right. If you are single, you mark single. Otherwise, you are probably married. Do not use Single Head of Household unless you are sure you qualify.

Your tax is based on wages and salary after the standard deduction and personal exemption. On the 1040 EZ, these are combined into one number. You will need to find this number on the tax charts furnished with the 1040 EZ.

Give it a try and come back with a specific question if it is not obvious after filling in blanks and reading the instructions for each line item of the form.
0 Replies

brahmin

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2010 07:00 pm
thanks. sure i will give it a try.

pls just tell me where can i find the said "tax charts" ?
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2010 07:14 pm
@brahmin,
You might want to make sure you don't have to file a 1040NR....
..don't know what your residency or citizenship status is??
0 Replies

brahmin

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2010 08:28 pm
i am a legal alien (with an A number), currently on a one year work permit.
TTH

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2010 10:08 pm
@brahmin,
Even though you are a legal alien in the United States with a work permit, there are too many questions to determine which form to file. I don't suggest you file it yourself if you don't know how or what form to use. The IRS and the government is pretty strict when it comes to filing the correct form. File it wrong and you could be deported, denied another permit or leave the country and not be allowed to get another permit.

Here is a link to the IRS site which may or may not apply in your situation.
http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/international/article/0,,id=96431,00.html

and this one:
http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/international/article/0,,id=96477,00.html

roger

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2010 11:32 pm
@TTH,
Ouch! Thanks for the help TTH
0 Replies

brahmin

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2010 05:01 pm
thanks everyone.

firstly my federal taxes. not giving exact figures only ball park.

my w2 says the total i earned as a student was 4750ish, with a federal income tax about 260ish.

that does qualify me or the 1040EZ.

now from this here table http://www.irs.gov/publications/p596/apa.html my EIC comes to about 360ish.

question does that mean i get a refund of 260 + 360 or is it the greater/lesser of these two figures.

But more important q - my taxable income IS = 0
in line 11 of 1040EZ they asked me to look up some table and find the corresponding tax against my taxable income (i.e. 0).

Can someone please tell me where in the irs.gov site can i find this damned table (apparently its on page 27 through 35).

As of now i seem to have negotiated the other problems quite well - the mailing address for the federal tax is given in this page against 1040ez and under NOT enclosing a payment (since my taxes are D@S) http://www.irs.gov/file/article/0,,id=100724,00.html

Thanks again for the help.

we shall overcome

we shall overcome

we shall overcome someday.
0 Replies

brahmin

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2010 05:09 pm
this ??
http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1040ez.pdf
TTH

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2010 09:25 am
@brahmin,
Yep, you answered your own question. All the instructions are there.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2010 09:44 am
@brahmin,
Sounds good, but have you checked to see if you need to file TTH's 1040NR, a form with which I am not familiar with. Also, make sure that being a foreign student doesn't disqualify you for the earned income tax credit. I have no idea, and I would almost bet that neither do most "professional" tax preparers.
TTH

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2010 09:57 am
@roger,
Roger in my experience the 1040NR is one of the most difficult tax returns to fill out. In some situations a person can spend hours looking up tax treaties and IRS regs.

I get the feeling that brahmin hasn't done enough research to know what form to file since he is asking about the EIC. No offense intended brahmin.

Edit to add: My personal opinion of the United States tax system sucks!
roger

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2010 10:13 am
@TTH,
Heh heh. My experience is almost entirely with state and federal payroll taxes and heavy vehicles. Not so bad, but fed is easier to work with than state.
TTH

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2010 10:29 am
@roger,
I agree with you on the state income taxes! Most people assume that the states have the same Fed. income tax laws and are surprised that they don't.
I hated doing New York and California Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

brahmin

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2010 03:07 pm
@roger,
no being a foreign student does not disqualify me from EITC.

i paid the same taxes as another american who made the same ammount would and i am entitled to the same refund.
brahmin

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2010 03:10 pm
@TTH,
there is no 1040 NR for me.

I fill up 1040EZ 0- for federal taxes.

for the state taxes (delaware) i need to fill up either 2009 ez, OR 2009 R OR in the event they consider me to be a non-resident ( i was very much phyically present in delaware) it is 2009NR. got to find out from the foreign student ass.

for the federal taxes i KNOW its 1040 EZ.

0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2010 03:37 pm
@brahmin,
Good. If you know, well, you know. Glad you found out for sure, as logic doesn't always apply to tax regulations.
brahmin

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2010 04:39 pm
@roger,
lol yes. but i still need to find out which form i need for the state tax and where to send it to. anyone from delaware here??
TTH

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2010 05:00 pm
@brahmin,
State of Delaware Personal Income Tax :
Booklets
Forms
Instructions

http://revenue.delaware.gov/services/2009PITForms.shtml
0 Replies

brahmin

Reply Sun 9 May, 2010 04:30 pm
thanks very much everyone who contributed - i have filed both my federal and state returns in time - but have not yet received my refunds.

Do you know how many days it usually takes to get the check?