The Official a2k Virtual Red Sox Luxury Box is Now Open!

Ragman

Reply Sun 16 Aug, 2015 03:58 pm
@panzade,
RS need a place kicker.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 19 Aug, 2015 05:04 am

the shake-up has commenced...

Quote:
Red Sox hire Dave Dombrowski as president of baseball operations

After what David Dombrowski described as a "whirlwind" courtship, the Boston Red Sox announced Tuesday
night they have hired him as the team's president of baseball operations, two weeks after he was fired as
president of the Detroit Tigers.

A news conference has been scheduled for Wednesday, when Dombrowski will fly in from his home in
suburban Detroit. Dombrowski said he intends to hire a new general manager. He offered the position to
the incumbent, Ben Cherington, but Cherington declined the offer.

"I was hoping as late as this afternoon that Ben would stay," Dombrowski, 59, said by phone Tuesday night,
"I was prepared for him to stay, but I understand his reasons for not staying."

The club said in a statement that Cherington, who was in his fourth season as the team's general manager,
agreed to assist in the transition. Dombrowski said he intends to begin immediately.

"I expect to be in my office after the press conference," he said.

"I'm excited. This is a great opportunity. Boston is a tremendous baseball city, the Red Sox are a great
franchise, and they have some of the best young talent in the game, both at the big-league level and in
their minor-league system.

"It's a great ownership group, they want to win, and they want to win the right way."

In Boston, Dombrowski will be reunited with John W. Henry, who purchased the Florida Marlins when
Dombrowski was there in 1998 and owned the club for four years.

"I have known Dave very well for a long time. [Chairman] Tom [Werner] and I have no doubts that Dave is
the right person to strengthen our baseball operations group going forward," Henry said. "He is one of the
most highly regarded executives in all of baseball and had options to go with other clubs."

Dombrowski, who was fired by the Tigers on Aug. 4, said Henry called him shortly thereafter. They agreed
to a meeting in Chicago after last week's owners' meetings, with Dombrowski meeting with Henry,
Werner and Mike Gordon, who heads the Fenway Sports Group and plays a major role in Sox decision-making.
Dombrowski said he subsequently flew to Boston for another meeting, and on Sunday accepted the team's
offer to become the Red Sox's first president of baseball operations.
(espn)
0 Replies

George

Reply Wed 19 Aug, 2015 07:20 am
I hope this is a step in the right direction.

When this team gets its poop together offensively, they are an awesome
spectacle. The defensive phase of their game is a bit less than awesome.
Region Philbis

Reply Wed 19 Aug, 2015 06:40 pm
@George,

pitching has been brutal -- expect a bunch of new faces next year...
George

Reply Wed 19 Aug, 2015 07:13 pm
@Region Philbis,
Sure hope so!
Region Philbis

Reply Thu 20 Aug, 2015 06:09 am
@George,

besides monitoring the progress of the youngins, the only other reason to tune in is to witness big papi get #500.
he needs 8, and will most likely hit it before the end of the year...
George

Reply Thu 20 Aug, 2015 07:07 am
@Region Philbis,
Plus I have Brock Holt (wouldn't that be a great name for CW singer?) and
Jackie Bradley Jr on my fantasy baseball team.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 25 Aug, 2015 05:17 pm

Mad

Quote:
Report: Don Orsillo leaving Red Sox TV broadcasts after season

Turnover with the Boston Red Sox continues, though it might not have anything to do with other recent
big changes in the team's front office.

Don Orsillo, the club's leading TV play-by-play broadcaster for NESN since 2001, won't return in 2016,
the Dennis and Callahan Show reported Tuesday morning on WEEI radio. Orsillo came to the Red Sox
after, like many players, a stint calling games for Boston's Triple-A team. Orsillo has been paired, mostly,
with analyst Jerry Remy, a former Red Sox player. They're one of the more popular and respected duos
among major league broadcasters.

Neither NESN or the Red Sox have confirmed the change yet. The Red Sox are undergoing big changes in the
executive branch, with Dave Dombrowski taking over as head of baseball operations from Ben Cherington,
along with the stepping aside of team president Larry Lucchino.

As for the team's TV booth, there are more questions than answers at the moment.
(CBS)
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sun 6 Sep, 2015 07:11 pm

papi needs three more for 500...

here's #496, which he hit yesterday --

0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sat 12 Sep, 2015 06:22 pm

he did it!

watch video ...
Region Philbis

Reply Sat 12 Sep, 2015 07:15 pm

0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Sat 12 Sep, 2015 08:55 pm
@Region Philbis,
Dan I was planning on getting tickets to all the remaining home games so I could see it in person.

In any case congrats Papi I love this giy...and I have an incredible picture of my now 16 year old softball player as a very young girl with Papi at a batting clinic with him. So cool...not to mention an autograph baseball from him.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sun 13 Sep, 2015 09:52 am

https://scontent-lga1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xaf1/v/t1.0-9/12020063_10206964737224508_5781924852917675370_n.jpg?oh=c1a73955522181a58f28521b589541c7&oe=565DBF3F
Region Philbis

Reply Mon 14 Sep, 2015 07:07 pm

per Cafardo --

Quote:
Ortiz joins Jimmie Foxx, Ted Williams and Manny Ramirez as players who hit
their 500th home run in a Red Sox uniform -- the most of any team.

Only Ortiz and Hall of Famers Babe Ruth, Mickey Mantle and Reggie Jackson
have had at least 500 home runs and three World Series rings.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 14 Sep, 2015 07:25 pm
@Region Philbis,
NICE!!!
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 16 Sep, 2015 06:40 am
@Region Philbis,
Has anyone thanked Minnesota again recently for releasing him in 2002? Someone should send them a thank you card or something. Maybe a dozen roses as well.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 29 Sep, 2015 01:12 pm

Betts ~ catch of the year?

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 5 Nov, 2015 10:02 am
@Region Philbis,
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 10 Nov, 2015 07:04 am
@tsarstepan,
http://i63.tinypic.com/21et314.jpg
http://nesn.com/2015/11/washington-nationals-2016-calendar-mistakenly-features-fenway-park-photo/
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 1 Dec, 2015 07:54 pm
Quote:
Boston Red Sox sign David Price, but overpay to get their ace starter

Remember when the Boston Red Sox were going to be fiscally responsible? When they weren't going to hand out
nine-figure contracts to pitchers on the wrong side of 30? When they low-balled Jon Lester with a $70 million
contract offer?

Well, there's a new sheriff in Boston, and Dave Dombrowski has never had a problem spending other people's
money. To nobody's surprise, the Red Sox -- coming off a season in which their rotation ranked 13th in the
American League in ERA -- signed David Price to a reported seven-year, $217 million contract. They have their ace.
(espn)

not thrilled... there's bad blood between him and big papi... and that's an awful lot of $$ for a veteran pitcher
still looking for his first playoff win as a starter...