question

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2003 06:53 pm
I am new to all this, I was wanting information on the depo shot. when to get it and how it is going to effect my life. my boyfriend and I do not want kids, and I do not have any kind of insurance. Is the depo shot for me, or is there something else I can do? I would like to have something last for years......I am 32, I've already had a stroke, so I can't take the pill. can anyone help with these questions? Rolling Eyes
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 2,748 • Replies: 21
No top replies

littlek

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2003 07:36 pm
yikes! If you have had a stroke and can't take the pill. Well, what makes the pill different enough from depro to make a difference? I know of at least one member of this site who has been on the depro shot before. Maybe she'll drop by.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2003 07:39 pm
Some health problems may be made worse by using Depo-Provera. Women should discuss the safety of taking Depo-Provera with their healthcare provider if they have any of the following:

* migraine headaches
* depression
* heart disease
* stroke
* high blood pressure
* diabetes
* seizure problems
* asthma

Click here for web page

Perhaps you shoul edit your original post to make your topic name more reflective of the question you're asking....?
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2003 01:33 am
I took it and I had some baaaddd side effects.
First the good stuff - no period - yeahhh!

Now the bad stuff,
gained weight, was tired, exhausted all the time, bouts of depression - never had it before or after, headaches, bloating and it definately made my asthma worse. No desire for anything, nada.
When I took my self off it, bleeding was terrible.
Would I recommend it, no, but each to her own.
I am not a medical proffesional, just my own personal hell. I haven't met anyone who has anything good to say about it.
Ceili
0 Replies

sweetpea1

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2003 10:25 pm
Thank You!
Shocked WOW. I hate to hear that you had a bad tme. I am so confused about what to take. I want to take birth control that last for a while. What would you suggest?

Ceili wrote:
I took it and I had some baaaddd side effects.
First the good stuff - no period - yeahhh!

Now the bad stuff,
gained weight, was tired, exhausted all the time, bouts of depression - never had it before or after, headaches, bloating and it definately made my asthma worse. No desire for anything, nada.
When I took my self off it, bleeding was terrible.
Would I recommend it, no, but each to her own.
I am not a medical proffesional, just my own personal hell. I haven't met anyone who has anything good to say about it.
Ceili[/quote
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2003 06:24 am
sweet_pea- IMO, if I were you, and had had a stroke, I would avoid any sort of chemical birth control like the plague. It might not be perfect, but I would stick to condoms or diaphragms.

Sex is wonderful, but I would not put my health and maybe my life at risk for that little extra pleasure. At least the old fashioned methods of birth control don't put you in medical harm's way!
Miller

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2004 10:34 pm
What are your thoughts on a tubal ligation?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2004 05:58 am
Miller- I think that tubal ligation is appropriate for a woman who is older, and already has had the children that she wants to have. I do not think that tubal ligation would be a procedure of choice for a younger woman.

As far as someone in iffy medical condition, I think that is something that had to be discussed with the individual's physician. Any procedure that involves general anaesthesia needs to be considered carefully. After all, it is invasive surgery, and the woman's total medical condition would need to be considered before a decision is made.
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2004 12:06 pm
I took it and it worked at first, then I had my period -all the time- for three months straight and there was no way to stop it. Needless to say, it was hell. But who knows, it may work for you. Would nuva ring work for you? It is the same medicine as the pill but is absorbed (in much smaller dosages) through the V. in the form of a plastic ring. You may want to get a norplant...

I reccomend going to planned parenthood

www.plannedparenthood.com

they have good informaiton on contraception, and have financial help for those who want protection but can't afford it.
0 Replies

nouman

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2004 03:42 pm
the best advice i will give is TO GET PREGNANT..lol..that would b better n the only solution;)
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2004 06:43 pm
anyone else get a pm from nouman?
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2004 08:55 pm
nope, sounds like a loon though.,
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2004 09:01 pm
I got a rather odd p.m. from nouman, and was wondering if it was some kind of global posting. Hmmm, what to do?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2004 11:07 pm
I didn't, but then I wasn't here, was I.

Hmm, get pregnant, that would pose a bit of trouble for me right now.
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2004 11:15 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Miller- I think that tubal ligation is appropriate for a woman who is older, and already has had the children that she wants to have. I do not think that tubal ligation would be a procedure of choice for a younger woman.

As far as someone in iffy medical condition, I think that is something that had to be discussed with the individual's physician. Any procedure that involves general anaesthesia needs to be considered carefully. After all, it is invasive surgery, and the woman's total medical condition would need to be considered before a decision is made.

I also know most physicians won't perform something like that for the reasons you mentioned Phoenix.

Portal Star wrote:
then I had my period -all the time- for three months straight and there was no way to stop it

Oh my...how did you cope? You must have been VERY anemic! If that happened to me, I'd be dead. (And I'm not kidding.)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2004 11:58 pm
so what did phoenix say, caprice, that you don't agree with, I missed it...
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Sat 28 Feb, 2004 12:05 am
ossobuco: Oh I am agreeing with her! Just making a sort of addition. That even if someone like sweet pea was considering a tubal ligation, it's unlikely they would find a doc willing to do it. And the reasons they wouldn't do it are the very same reasons Phoenix listed....which I took to mean her personal opinion.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 28 Feb, 2004 12:11 am
Sorry, I answered without looking back. Of course they wouldn't. Slap my wrist.

Carry on.
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Sat 28 Feb, 2004 03:03 am
caprice wrote:

Portal Star wrote:
then I had my period -all the time- for three months straight and there was no way to stop it

Oh my...how did you cope? You must have been VERY anemic! If that happened to me, I'd be dead. (And I'm not kidding.)

It wasn't heavy enough to be dangerous (more like last day of period period), but it got depressing. Especially because my boyfriend at the time had a chronic fear of blood. Yikes. I wouldn't reccomend depo for you then!
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Sat 28 Feb, 2004 01:15 pm
Well, it isn't like I need it or any birth control right now. I'm living in that vast wasteland of celibacy. Very Happy