Fri 2 Apr, 2010 08:54 am
I've heard good things about a private school in my city that specializes in teaching "nontraditional learners". They are having an open house next week that I am considering attending.

The school starts at 4th grade, which is very cool since every kid starting would be in Mo's grade and he wouldn't have to deal with being "the new kid".

Here is a link to the school: http://www.gatelyacademy.org/school/home

So... if I go to the open house, what do I need to ask and what do I need to look for?

Any advice appreciated!

DrewDad

Fri 2 Apr, 2010 08:56 am
@boomerang,
One thing we've seen is that often times private schools are dumping grounds for kids that have been expelled from public schools.

Find out the school's policy on discipline problems.

Find out, if you can, whether the kids are voluntarily forgoing public education.
boomerang

Fri 2 Apr, 2010 09:37 am
@DrewDad,
Great advice! Thanks, DrewDad.

This school is VERY small -- 64 students this year and has a pretty intense application process so if it's a dumping ground not many are dumped there.
0 Replies

boomerang

Fri 2 Apr, 2010 07:02 pm
Wow. Nobody has any advice but you, DrewDad?

Anyway.... I did some research today and it seems that we could possibly get Mo's tuition paid by the school district.

We've done all the evaluations, tried the IEP and SpEd, even hired a private tutor and done therapy trying to solve the problems Mo is having at school. All with limited success.

I emailed his teacher asking what she knew about the school (haven't heard back yet) but I think I can enlist her help in getting the district to pay.

That would be so completely amazing.
CalamityJane

Fri 2 Apr, 2010 08:37 pm
I am so glad you're opting for private school, boomer. I think Mo will thrive
there where more attention is paid to the individual kid.

Jane was from Kindergarten through 5th grade in a private school and I am
glad she did. My questions were pertaining to class size, in how they
discipline children, how much parent involvement is granted, parent/teacher communications, plus I knew quite a few people whose kids went to the same
school, so I had a bit of first hand input. I had met with the principal
and the Kindergarten teacher prior to entering and I did the same with another
private school and based on their personalities and approach, we decided
which school is best for Jane.
littlek

Fri 2 Apr, 2010 08:53 pm
How is Mo doing in public school?
boomerang

Fri 2 Apr, 2010 09:10 pm
@CalamityJane,
Thanks, CJane.

I'm not sure I'm opting yet but the time seems to be right.

Via the link above I looked through the school's handbook and that answered most of the questions you posed. Still, it looks like the handbook hasn't been updated since the school started admitting 4th graders so I will ask those questions.

Thank you.

We interviewed several private schools before enrolling Mo in public school. I really wanted public school to work but it ...... just..... isn't.

What I've been hearing about this school is good in regards to teaching kids like Mo.
0 Replies

boomerang

Fri 2 Apr, 2010 09:12 pm
@littlek,
It's complicated, littlek.

His grades aren't bad (they don't really give grades but this weird symbol system). It's the comments on his report card that get me going.

I'm sending them to you via PM because I'd love to know what you think but please don't think this obligates you to respond.
littlek

Fri 2 Apr, 2010 09:54 pm
@boomerang,
Read and responded.
0 Replies

dadpad

Fri 2 Apr, 2010 10:14 pm
If it were me boomer I would be seeking out parents of kids who have been there a year or two, and not just the parents that the school reccomends you talk to.
Ask the school for some reccomendations of parents to speak with then ask those parents for the names of other parents.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Sat 3 Apr, 2010 09:15 am
This is a special school that knows how to deal with children who have difficulties in paying attention for a prolonged time and the small class
sizes enables the teachers to take a more in depth approach towards each child and assess where the kids need more help in learning.

If your child needs the extra help, how can you go wrong with that?
boomerang

Sat 3 Apr, 2010 11:00 am
@CalamityJane,
Yes, this school is run by Providence Health. The school's director is the head of Providence Youth Services. It's a school for learning reading, math, etc. but it provides more social/mental health support for kids.
0 Replies

Linkat

Mon 5 Apr, 2010 09:53 am
@boomerang,
Not sure if this is the best advice or not, but some things I asked:

Teacher/student ratio

Handling of discpline (this was more because I was afraid they might be too strict - paddling for instance as I found one school that did paddle)

Ask about teaching styles/how they teach/what they teach - curriculm/classes/class structure - it is important that this fits with how best your child learns - structured was good for my girls, but not for all kids

I am assuming you will meet some of the teachers - take the time to talk with them - you should get a feel for how they are with the kids

Other activities outside normal class stuff - art/music/team sports/
Do they do anything like spelling bees/math or art competitions if this would be an interest to your child - I like that my kids' school does this - it emphasizes academic competition as well as athletic competition.

Think about what is important for you about a school and ask those questions.
0 Replies

Linkat

Mon 5 Apr, 2010 09:54 am
@boomerang,
Oh , also - can you talk with or get some current parent references?
0 Replies