"Mad Anthony Wayne´s Indian Mistress

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2010 10:39 am
we are supposedly descended from Anthony Wayne and an maybe Souix Indian Mistress. Their daughter was Caroline Wayne, goes through some Upshaws much later and then Caroline Wayne Wilson now. It´s been impossible for me to find records because the Indian woman was his mistress. HELP!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,388 • Replies: 10
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2010 02:49 pm
@carolinewaynewilson,
ANTHONY WAYNE was a surveyor befiore the revolution. He lived (briefly) in my house which was built in 1763 and which was owned by the crown engineer and chief surveyor Thomas Churchman who was surveyor for the colony of Connecticut (which claimed Pa). I know that Wayne was born and lived in Easttown , Chester County (about 30 miles from me). The Inndian tribes of the area were the Conestoga Delaware Susquehannock, (the tribes of the Iriquois nation). These tribes were diswpossessed and many were killed during and after the "Paxton massacres". So Im not sure that Wayne would even have seen an Iroquois in his hometown.The story of having aSouix misstress is maybe less credible than him having a Cherokee mistress, After the REvolution and after Tall Oaks, he moved to Georgia for several years where he was a politician and an engineer. He was supposed to have been "friendly" with the "Civilized tribes " of the Nations
Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2010 03:10 pm
@farmerman,
The so-called Sioux (Lakota in their own language) were living way the hell over west of Pennsylvania. Minnesota mainly and beyond, on the prairies. The major ethnic group on the East Coast, from the coast to the Alleghenies and from the Canadian border down to Georgia, were m ainly Algon quins. The Lakota in Minnesota and Wisconsin were one exception. The main exception, of course, was the Iroquiois alliance around the Great Lakes.
farmerman

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2010 06:46 pm
@Merry Andrew,
Youre right, the SUsquehannocks and Conetoga werent MEMBERS of the Iroquian Alliance but they were descended from the stock which displayed the "long house" dwellings and they spoke Irooquian root language. Wallace(1964) , posed that the Susquehannocks, Minquas and Conestogas were descended from the tribes of the Huron and Mohawks and , when all the various tribes claimed areas of the Ohio and Momongahlea, the "Black Minquas" (Susquehnnocks) wiped out their own connecting tribes that would have extended the Iroquois Alliance southward. So, yep, no Iroquois Alliance membership , just Iroquaois stock and many of the same artifacts and lifestyles.

I agree that Wayne did not encounter any Lakotas or any Plains Indians. It was more likely that, had he had a mistress, she would have been Cherokee from when he lived in the SOuth after the Revolution.

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2010 07:15 pm
@farmerman,
Yup. Cherokee makes good sense.
0 Replies

raprap

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2010 07:31 pm
@farmerman,
Granted is is highly doubtful that Wayne even knew of the Lakota as Pennsylvania and the Ohio Territories is not a 'fur peace' from the western planes, however; the Miami and Shawnee were as numerous in the Ohio valley as the Iriquois and much more numerous as the Cherokee, Osage or any of the members of the 'Civilized' tribes.

Mostly this was the result of the Shawnee. Tsecumpse (sp) septs didn't particularly cotton to the Cherokee.

Rap
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2010 10:03 pm
Definitely not Sioux. Louis Hennepin found the Sioux on the upper Mississippi in the 1680s, and they were still there in time for the 1863 revolt so ruthlessly crushed by the Lincoln administration. That's nowhere near anywhere Wayne was known to have operated, with Michigan being as far west as he was ever known to have traveled. That being said, it could have been any one of a number of tribes.
0 Replies

carolinewaynewilson

Reply Fri 15 Nov, 2013 06:02 pm
Anthony Wayne died in Erie, supposedly of gout,after campaigning in Detroit for president. His political popularity was due to his having freed the Northwest Territories from the native tribes there. So yes, he was west of Ohio. I am not absolutely this is certain.
0 Replies

carolinewaynewilson

Reply Sun 17 Nov, 2013 08:12 am
Anthony Wayne died in Erie, supposedly of gout,after campaigning in Detroit for president. His political popularity was due to his having freed the Northwest Territories from the native tribes there. So yes, he was west of Ohio. I am not absolutely this is certain.

URL: http://able2know.org/topic/143416-1

URL: http://able2know.org/topic/143416-1
farmerman

Reply Sun 17 Nov, 2013 11:08 am
@carolinewaynewilson,
Since this is a family quest and not some 3 year old homework assignment, Id suggest getting in touch with the "23 and ME" project. They are trying to assemble genome information from all sorts of natives and immigrnts in the US. Youd submit a sample of DNA( cheek swab of epithelia ) would be just fine.

Good Luck.

Many of the Great Lakes tribes have genetic "SNP" markers of possible early Europeans, and these markers are hidden by later "acquired" genes . Itd be neat for you to know your roots.
0 Replies

ravchanashor

Reply Thu 22 Nov, 2018 01:40 pm
I'm supposedly descended from Mad Anthony Wayne and his mistress from the MIAMI tribe, in Indiana, which makes more sense to me than the other tribal possibilities. In any case, though, I'd be interested in knowing if Caroline ever made any headway with her search for his offspring... I've certainly had no luck.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » "Mad Anthony Wayne´s Indian Mistress
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/18/2024 at 12:54:35