Recorded Christmas Music

Reply Wed 27 Nov, 2002 08:10 am
Each time I purchase a collection of Christmas music performed by an established artist I set myself up for disappointment. I buy Merle Haggard album - too depressing to listen to. Perry Como - not that great. Bing Crosby - only a few really good tracks. Nat King Cole - only a couple of good ones. Many have single hits I like, such as Roy Orbison on Pretty Paper, but by and large the only established artists I listen to with great frequency are Johnny Mathis and three or four tracks by Elvis. On the other hand I have collections by practically anonymous choral groups, instrumentalists and the like, which really capture the spirit of the season - unlike the showboating popular artists.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,618 • Replies: 9
No top replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Wed 27 Nov, 2002 10:32 am
Try this edgarblythe, I love it and it is not depressing at all George Frideric Handel - Messiah

http://w3.rz-berlin.mpg.de/cmp/handel_messiah.html
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Thu 28 Nov, 2002 08:53 am
Edgar, we were looking for some Christmas cds this past weekend. We'd always wanted one cd that had a collection of the old standards. We got one called "Now That's Waht I Call Christmas."Now That's What I Call Christmas

I haven't listened to it yet, though.

My all-time favorite Christmas CD is

John Fahey's Guitar Christmas Album
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Thu 28 Nov, 2002 08:56 am
That's why I only buy Christmas rap CD's.

That, or thrash metal.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 28 Nov, 2002 09:15 am
Did you like the rap version of "Do You Hear What I Hear"? I actually liked it, even though I have a hard time listening to that type of music. (I suppose I was too old when it was invented).
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Thu 28 Nov, 2002 09:27 am
Yes, I liked that one, although I was just jokin' above.

I thought it should be the expected response.

(Am attempting to maintain the proper decorum as befits this new residence.

"No dog poopie on the hardwood floors!")

I've never been disappointed in a Christmas collection; guess I'm just a sap for the holidays.
0 Replies

JerryR

Reply Thu 28 Nov, 2002 09:29 am
This one is alot of fun,...it is my favorite christmas album:

Chistmas Cocktails
0 Replies

williamhenry3

Reply Thu 28 Nov, 2002 12:50 pm
Exclamation

One of my favorite collections of Christmas music is that recorded more than a decade ago by Gladys Knight and the Pips. It always puts me in the holiday spirit. If it's still available, perhaps you'd want to take a listen Idea
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 28 Nov, 2002 04:47 pm
I didn't know it was a joke, PDiddie, but whatever, it wouldn't be than Alvin and The Chipmonks.

Welcome to a2k.
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Fri 29 Nov, 2002 04:36 pm
PDiddie,
...It may interest you to know, the first rap record I ever heard was a christmas song. It was based on "The Night Before Christmas"... No, not Kurtis Blow, this goes back to the 50's, at least. It was done in the slang of the day, with a R&B background. The name was "Be-Bop Santa Claus". I can remember the final words, as santa dashed off. "have a crazy cool Christmas, and a frantic First"
0 Replies