South Carolina: Tax Holiday

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2010 06:50 pm
South Carolina: Tax Holiday Weekend Making Progress!

Friday, March 26, 2010

House Bill 4220, which would permanently establish the tax holiday on firearms sales the weekend following Thanksgiving, passed out of the State House on Wednesday, March 24. This legislation is now in the Senate, where it has been referred to the Senate Committee on Finance.

Our thanks go out to State Representative Mike Pitts (R-14) for sponsoring H4220, as well as State Representative Jeff Duncan (R-15), who made the motion to recall the bill from the House Ways and Means Committee. State Representative Duncan’s motion made it possible for the bill to be voted on by the full House this week. We also thank all the State Representatives who voted in favor of H4220, which passed by a vote of 100 to 2.

Please be sure to contact members of the Senate Committee on Finance, and encourage them to support H4220.

In addition, NRA has been working with State Representative Garry R. Smith (R-27) on House Bill 3994. This legislation would prohibit the establishment of any rules that would forbid the storing of firearms in a locked privately owned vehicle in parking lots, thus protecting your right to keep a firearm in your car if you travel with one for personal protection, or choose to hunt or target shoot before or after work.

NRA is working with State Representative Smith, as well as members of the House Judiciary General Laws Sub-Committee (where the bill currently resides), to ensure an amendment is introduced that will help remove the concerns property owners may have regarding liability issues.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,376 • Replies: 3
No top replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2010 08:21 pm

It is well established constitutional law
that it offends the US Constitution to tax a constitutional right.

The sale of guns shoud NEVER be taxed.

David
engineer

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2010 09:54 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
SC is already in desperate shape with declining tax revenues and they want to give more away? Doesn't make much sense to me. I know you love the gun aspect and all, but it does take money to run a government.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2010 10:47 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:
SC is already in desperate shape with declining tax revenues and they want to give more away?
Most respectfully: as an engineer, I know that u appreciate the value of precise thought.
A government cannot GIVE any money away unless it has possession of that money.
The challenged concept is the legitimacy of government GRABBING $$, taxing a constitutional right.

In other words, I am pointing out that the sale of GUNS is IMMUNE from any taxation.

This was established by the USSC in at least 2 cases b4 the Second World War,
as applied to the sale of religious reading materials.

The counter-argument to my assertion
is that the 2nd Amendment has not yet been incorporated against the power of the States,
(decision still being awaited in McDONALD v. CHICAGO, expected in June)
indulging the fiction that the Bill of Rights was not intended to curtail State authority
and that the Founders who wrote it just happened to forget to put that in,
and thay were too dum to know how to express themselves (Barron v. Baltimore 1833),
so thay needed John Marshall to nullify our rights as against State governments,
and those governments can torture us, if thay wanted to,
because the 8th Amendment did not apply to State governments,
and we just ignore Section 1 of the 14th Amendment,
whose purpose it was to overthrow Barron v. Baltimore.
(I don't think so.)

engineer wrote:
Doesn't make much sense to me.
I know you love the gun aspect and all,
but it does take money to run a government.
What wud u think if State tax collectors stood outside Church doors
collecting tolls from congregants on the way in?
0 Replies