Which words should be used?

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2010 09:26 pm
I was supposed to be unable to conceive, so I was elated and strongly believe/believed that this baby was bestowed on us by God. I had actually recommended two friends to the same Chinese physician with the same problem/problems. One of them had to abort the baby after four months of pregnancy as the baby had Down syndrome. The other couple had a miscarriage. Some people might think that I was just lucky or it was just mere coincidence that I was able to conceive. But I strongly believe/believed it was all due to my faith in God.

1. Should it be 'believe' in both cases? I doubt because I think it should be 'believe' since I still believe.

2. Is 'actually' needed?

3. Should it be 'problem' or 'problems'? It refers to the inability to conceive.

4. Are there any other errors in the text?

Thanks in advance.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 433 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2010 09:39 pm
It could be "believe" in both cases, although i would use "believed" in the first sentence, and "believe" in the second. I would use the word "problem"--singular. You don't need the word "actually," but there is also no reason not to use it.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2010 09:43 pm
@tanguatlay,
What Setanta said and I'll add; the first 'believe' can be either depending on your focus.

I was supposed to be unable to conceive, so I was elated and strongly believed that this baby was bestowed on us by God. I had actually recommended two friends with the same problem to the same Chinese physician. [with the same problem].

One of them had to abort the baby after four months of pregnancy as the baby had Down syndrome. The other couple had a miscarriage. Some people might think that I was just lucky or it was just mere coincidence that I was able to conceive. But I strongly believe it was all due to my faith in God.

0 Replies

tanguatlay

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2010 10:52 pm
Thanks, Setanta and JTT.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Which words should be used?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/29/2024 at 12:12:35