The Land of Fire and Ice is living up to its name

littlek

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2010 04:33 pm
Iceland is made up of one of the coolest chunks of crust on the earth. Right now it is erupting near ice sheets which could be problematic for more than just the farmers downhill. Apparently, every time Eyjafjallajokull erupts, so does the more dangerous Katla.

From Boston.com
Quote:
Saturday's eruption at Eyjafjallajokull (AYA-feeyapla-yurkul) -- dormant for nearly 200 years -- forced at least 500 people to evacuate. Most have returned to their homes, but authorities were waiting for scientific assessments to determine whether they were safe to stay. Residents of 14 farms nearest to the eruption site were told to stay away.

Several small tremors were felt early Monday, followed by spurts of lava and steam rocketing into the air.

Iceland sits on a large volcanic hot spot in the Atlantic's mid-oceanic ridge. Eruptions, common throughout Iceland's history, are often triggered by seismic activity when the Earth's plates move and when magma from deep underground pushes its way to the surface.

Like earthquakes, predicting the timing of volcanic eruptions is an imprecise science. An eruption at the Katla volcano could be disastrous, however -- both for Iceland and other nations.

Iceland's Laki volcano erupted in 1783, freeing gases that turned into smog. The smog floated across the Jet Stream, changing weather patterns. Many died from gas poisoning in the British Isles. Crop production fell in western Europe. Famine spread. Some even linked the eruption, which helped fuel famine, to the French Revolution. Painters in the 18th century illustrated fiery sunsets in their works.

The winter of 1784 was also one of the longest and coldest on record in North America. New England reported a record stretch of below-zero temperatures and New Jersey reported record snow accumulation. The Mississippi River also reportedly froze in New Orleans.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 14 • Views: 3,410 • Replies: 42
No top replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2010 04:41 pm
interesting, seems like it would be really cool if it erupted, except for the poor folks living there and the possible global effects
littlek

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2010 05:21 pm
@djjd62,
er, really cool besides those bad things, yes. I agree.
djjd62

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2010 05:28 pm
@littlek,
ha, some of the more interesting things in nature are unfortunately fraught with danger, earthquakes, major storms, volcanoes
littlek

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2010 06:42 pm
@djjd62,
Yep.
littlek

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2010 04:03 pm
@littlek,
Cool! A live webcam watching the volcano. Which volcano? Anyone speak Icelandic?
http://eldgos.mila.is/eyjafjallajokull-fra-fimmvorduhalsi/
djjd62

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2010 04:12 pm
@littlek,
nice, i'll have to check this out
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2010 04:18 pm
@littlek,
Quote:
Cool! A live webcam watching the volcano. Which volcano? Anyone speak Icelandic?
http://eldgos.mila.is/eyjafjallajokull-fra-fimmvorduhalsi/

No to speaking Icelandic, sorry.

But very interesting site, k.

Thanks.

(Wouldn't want to live anywhere near one of those!)

0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2010 04:28 pm
10:30pm in reykjavik, might check back in the daylight
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2010 04:35 pm
Yeah.... even though it sort of boring to watch right now (nighttime), I wouldn't want to be either down hill or down wind from one!
djjd62

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2010 04:38 pm
@littlek,
the ontario science center had a short film about a volcano in iceland in the 70's, pretty interesting stuff

one good thing, iceland has a pretty efficient system of geothermal heating
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2010 05:58 am
It looks different in daylight! It's hard to get a sense of scale. Is that a road running across the bottom of the photo? If so, is the line slanting up to the right a footpath?
dadpad

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2010 06:06 am
There seem to be some rather large explosions happening just now.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2010 06:07 am
@littlek,
not sure

both views are pretty cool
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2010 06:24 am
Another view.. or is t another volcano
http://eldgos.mila.is/eyjafjallajokull-fra-thorolfsfelli/
djjd62

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2010 06:29 am
@dadpad,
Eyjafjallajökull, is the name of the glacier and the volcano it covers, so i'd say it's two different views of the same thing

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eyjafjallaj%C3%B6kull
littlek

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2010 06:34 am
@djjd62,
I dunno about that. I am watching the volcano cams side by side. I know the original volcanic eruption was near to a second volcano - maybe it's two?
littlek

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2010 06:38 am
@littlek,
In the second link, the shot shows two volcanoes - a bigger steamier one in the center of the frame and a smaller smokier one to the right. I think the one on the right is the same as the one in the first link.
djjd62

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2010 06:44 am
@littlek,
from the wiki article

The icecap of the glacier covers a about 700.000 years old volcano (1,666 m in height) which has not erupted very frequently since the Ice Age.
There were only 3 eruptions during the last 1100 years, i.e. since settlement began in Iceland. The latest eruption began in March 2010, and the most recent eruption before then was from 1821 to 1823, causing a some smaller glacier runs. Previous eruptions were in 1612 and 920.
The crater of the volcano has a diameter of 3"4 km and the glacier covers an area of about 100 km².

could be an eruption and a steam vent possibly
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2010 08:37 pm
And now the same volcano is causing air traffic delays across the Atlantic. The following link brings you to a page with loads of cool pictures......
http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2010/04/icelands_disruptive_volcano.html
0 Replies