Will the speaker of the House overthrow the Constitution ?

ebrown p

Reply Sat 20 Mar, 2010 03:20 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
David.

The process is done by vote.

You are completely making up the part about a declaration from Nancy taking the place of a vote. That is not at all what is happening.

The idea would have been that whey would vote on whether the other vote is "deemed" to have passed. In either way the issue would have been dealt with a vote on a declaration (not just a declaration).

The "trick" (and it is a bit of a trick) is that the representatives instead of voting on an issue, they would be voting on voting on an issue. In either way the process involves a vote where a majority (i.e. 216 representative) is required to do.

This is why all the people whining when the Democrats discuss this procedure were perfectly fine with the procedure when the Republicans did it.

But this is now irrelevant. The bill will likely pass without this procedure. You will be happy. I will be happy. The Republic is saved. Republicans won't be put into concentration camps and the Constitution has survived another crisis.

0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 20 Mar, 2010 03:27 pm

If the vote is to defeat the bill,
THEN what will happen?
dyslexia

Reply Sat 20 Mar, 2010 04:04 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

If the vote is to defeat the bill,
THEN what will happen?
the world, as we know it. will end with a raining deluge of frogs.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 20 Mar, 2010 04:46 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
If the bill is defeated, everyone who voted for it is home free. We didn't get a bad law, they acted honorably, and are free to attack everyone who voted against it.

If it passes, the converse is also true.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Sat 20 Mar, 2010 05:27 pm
The whole process has nothing to do with the Constitution and everything to do with House and Senate rules, which are the Congress's version of parliamentary procedure. Every party in every legislative body works the rules to their advantage and cries treason when the same body of rules are used against them. The Republicans rode them for all they were worth when they were in power, and no right wingers bitched about that. Now the shoe is on the other foot, and the right wingers are going crazy. Just for a start, David, can you show me where the Constitution authorizes a filibuster, or requires a 3/5 vote to stop one? That's Senate rules purely--it has nothing at all to do with the Constitution, and it's been the obstacle all along. So Pelosi by working the rules to the country's advantage is not in any way endangeringt the Constitution.
High Seas

Reply Sat 20 Mar, 2010 06:15 pm
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:

The whole process has nothing to do with the Constitution ....

Are you still posting on Eastern Summer Time? If so, look up the news - several hours earlier Obama indicated he worried about the constitutionality of "deem and pass" in a case of taxation, especially after McConnell, a respected former judge, told him in no uncertain terms he planned to challenge the bill specifically on constitutional grounds the moment it was sent back to the Senate. A straight up-and-down vote will take place tomorrow in the House.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sat 20 Mar, 2010 10:23 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
OK: the question in my mind
is simply whether or not the bill is put before the membership of the House
who can then vote on it with full knowledge of what is in that bill.

No, I think the question is why didn't you bother to check out the process before making accusations that have no basis in reality?
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2010 05:53 am
has it happened yet, has the republic fallen
ebrown p

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2010 06:24 am
@djjd62,
No, Speaker Pelosi has decided she has the votes to pass the health care bill without this procedure. The Republic has been saved.
djjd62

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2010 06:28 am
well that's gonna make for some boring news this week

oh well
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2010 06:29 am
@ebrown p,
ebrown p wrote:
No, Speaker Pelosi has decided she has the votes to pass the health
care bill without this procedure. The Republic has been saved.
As a citizen of the Republic,
I 'll be happier without that procedure in the House of Representatives.

David
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 08:55:25