when copy and paste goes wrong...

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2010 11:02 am
In order to complete a job application I need to upload my college transcript. I have the official transcript in a pdf file but ironically the unofficial online version is more complete and they want that version.

I tried to copy and paste it into a word document but it ends up all scrambled-like. Short of printing it off and scanning it - is there anyway for me to copy something from html and paste it into word without destroying it?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 4,438 • Replies: 10
No top replies

MontereyJack

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2010 12:11 pm
I think Word doesn't recognize html formatting codes, so you may be out of luck. I can't vouch for the veracity of any of the links, but I googled "convert html files to pdf" and got a hit for a free program (probably shareware?) and one for conversion online. Try the PC World Magazine site, and I think ZDNet (for Ziff-Davis, the publishers) They have libraries of downloadable software that probably include something that would work.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2010 12:18 pm
@brokencdplayer,
Could you call the people you are applying for a job with and tell them the problem? You might be able to just give a link to the file...
roger

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2010 01:46 pm
@ossobuco,
Nope. I went through the same thing, more or less. Since it involved office work with computers, I was no way going to admit I couldn't figure out how to send what they thought they wanted.

I know Word 2007 will let you save and send files in PDF format, which is what I had to do in this situation. I assume the converse is also true. I did have to connect to a MS site and do a download. I bet it can be done, brokencd, but you may have to come up with the right keyword for the Word help system. If you have an earlier release, I don't think you will have any luck.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2010 01:48 pm
@roger,
Ah, better advice than mine..
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2010 03:02 pm
@brokencdplayer,
Often, the problem is that the margins in Word cause the text to wrap at places where the original document didn't. Some ideas that might help:

- Check the page orientation. If the original was landscape, the Word document must be landscape also.
- Spread the margins out as far as Word will let you.
- After you paste, if the text is all over the place, select the entire document and make the text 8 pt. If that works, you can increase the text size to improve readability.

Hope that helps
JTT

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2010 04:47 pm
@engineer,
Smart little tricks of the trade, Engineer. Sort of like a computer carpenter.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2010 07:20 pm
Hey wait a minute! An employer can't ask for an unofficial transcript when the official one is available! What could be missing on the official one that's so terribly important? Send him the official one and tell him to shove it up his ass!
roger

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2010 08:38 pm
@NickFun,
They can't?

Well anyway, I do like the 'shove it up his ass' part. Always good to get a prospective employer lined out right from the git-go.
NickFun

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2010 10:23 pm
@roger,
Roger, may I ask, how did this employer find out there was a more comprehensive transcript online? And why would they prefer that over the official? Something about these guys does not add up.
roger

Reply Sat 20 Mar, 2010 12:06 am
@NickFun,
That's a puzzlement, all right, and leads me to wonder why a transcript is on line at all. Still, I'm curious as to why they couldn't or shouldn't ask for whichever transcript they prefer.
0 Replies