Sexual orientation and talent: Why does the first get in the way of the latter?

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2010 02:44 am
Does sexual orientation have anything to do with talent?
Is talent affected by sexual orientation?

No to both, am I correct?

So, why do people make such a big deal over singers or actors being gay or bisexual?

Adam Lambert is gay. And he wears makeup. So what? He has a great voice and a fantastic look nonetheless. Why do people dislike his MUSIC simply because he is gay? What does him being gay have to do with his amazing voice?

Mika, my newly-discovered but already favorite singer is considered gay because he's very colorful and crazy in his videos. Also, when questioned if he's gay, he answered that he doesn't want his private life to be too exposed, but that he sleeps with whoever he wants. He then added that we can call him bisexual if we want.
So, I assume he's bi, then, even if he sort of hinted it, not exactly stated.
He does not parade his private life around for the entire world like Adam Lambert.
But when I was listening to a song by Mika on Youtube, I noticed a comment underneath that went somewhere along these lines.
"Aww, I used to like Mika.. but then found out he's gay. That sucks..."
Others mention that he has a voice but they don't like him because he's gay.
Why does that matter? He has a beautiful voice and I love his energy and random, silly videos, even if they are slightly "gay". That makes him unique, and that, in no way, interferes with his singing talent.
So why do people care so much if someone is gay?
Why can't they listen to Mika's songs and hear the SONG, his voice, the music, without worrying about the fact that he's not straight.

That has been bothering me lately, and I am wonder what your input is on this. Does sexual orientation affect talent? Have you ceased to like someone once you found out they are gay or lesbian or bi? Is that fair?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 5 • Views: 3,823 • Replies: 24
No top replies

aidan

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2010 03:37 am
@RadAndRandom,
I think if anyone does care it has to do with why they watch people in movies or how they want to relate to the talent they see in musicians.

If you're only interested in a musician in terms of his or her talent, it doesn't matter what their sexual preference is. But what often happens is that people (especially women) fantasize about musicians and actors romantically, so that the discovery that someone is gay and wouldn't reciprocate those romantic feelings or fantasies bursts their bubble.

In acting, it depends on what the role is. Because part of the reason I go to a movie is to be transported into a story for a while. If the people who are telling that story or portraying characters aren't believable in their roles, it doesn't work.

And sometimes people make such an issue of their sexuality in real life that they essentially typecast themselves on the screen as well. What you know about them offscreen indelibly effects and/or overrides what they're trying to portray onscreen.

It's a shame that's true, but it is. Although there are some people who are so talented at what they do that you're just happy to be able to listen or watch what they do, sexuality doesn't matter as much.

For instance, I really like Michael Stipe. Don't ask me why - usually I'm more attracted to really masculine types- and he's definitely not that. But when he writes and sings, he's such a talent, I don't notice his lack of masculinity.

And I like how he labels himself - he calls himself an 'equal opportunity lover of people.'
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2010 05:39 am
@RadAndRandom,
No on your possible thesis of talent and sexual orientation. It's just that these are high profile anecdotes that make it seem that there is a correlation.

Part (and only part) of the brouhaha that exists between pop stars and their alleged sexual orientation (I'm not aware of the present AL story) is when the male singer refuses to acknowledge his seemingly obvious sexual orientation when the public seems to "know" better.

It's almost like the general population feels betrayed by this possible coverup of the singer's sexual orientation.

Now why it should matter whether a singer is gay or not it really shouldn't matter to the audience. One of my personal favorite singers is k. d. lang. I couldn't care less that she's a lesbian. Doesn't make me like or dislike her singing and choice of music any more or any less.

Quote:
Also, when questioned if he's gay, he answered that he doesn't want his private life to be too exposed, but that he sleeps with whoever he wants. He then added that we can call him bisexual if we want.

He should have every right to dictate his own identity if he chooses. However , the pathetic state of pop obsessed (and sexuality obsessed) culture <<<sigh>>> dictates to the contrary.

Quote:
Does sexual orientation affect talent?

No. I worked with plenty of gay and lesbians presently and in the past who COULDN'T CARRY A TUNE even if meant it could save a school bus full of children from drowning in the East River.

Quote:
Have you ceased to like someone once you found out they are gay or lesbian or bi?

Nope but I weeped and weeped and tore out my hair when I found out that Antony Hegarty from Antony & The Johnsons was a queer bloke.
http://www.michaeljkramer.net/cr/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/antony_alice_omalley2.jpg

Wink

No. Not really. He has a most exquisitely distinctive voice and lovely and thoughtful personality.
djjd62

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2010 05:48 am
@RadAndRandom,
i figured people disliked adam lambert's music because he came in second in a horrible nationally televised talent (and i use that term loosely) show
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2010 06:01 am
@djjd62,
I didn't want to put it that way but that's the horrible truth when it involves the all-heinous and talentless debacle of a cultural phenomenon that is American Idol.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2010 06:08 am
@RadAndRandom,
In my opinion, and I know at least one PhD of Psychiatry who agrees with me, there are several associations between the arts and sex.

Taking a simple example, women are more word orientated, men are more spatially orientated. The differences between the sexes also appear in someone who is born homsexual rather than someone who is manufactured by life's experiences. So a male born homosexual would tend to have the brain of a female. He should be better at words. All else being equal, this could cause a drift to the performing arts, in the same manner we all try to be employed at something we are good at and/or like. Many of the performing arts are based on words, from acting and singing to critics and writers.

But other fields attract as well such as lawyers. Some professions do have a higher rate of homosexuality than the average. Actors, Lawyers and Doctors are higher than the average. To become a Doctor or Lawyer, you can not be afraid of a dictionary. They also have a higher risk of suicide and drug abuse.

Whilst it can not be said that artistic talent causes homosexuality, homosexuality may cause greater efforts to develop artistic talent. However, it can be said that intelligence has an association with a higher incidence of homosexuality than the average.
Ionus

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2010 06:11 am
@RadAndRandom,
Quote:
You should have seen the look on my face when I found out about the Village People...and I have always liked Abba...some of my best fantasies involve those two Sveeedish girls....but I am very careful about who I tell this to in case someone gets the wrong idea. The Village People and Abba...could I have chosen worse ?
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2010 06:13 am
@tsarstepan,
Quote:
He has a most exquisitely distinctive voice and lovely and thoughtful personality.
He must be gay...
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2010 06:36 am
@RadAndRandom,
Quote:

Gay is the new Communist.
djjd62

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2010 06:42 am
@Green Witch,
according to the political threads black is the new communist (well one anyway Wink )
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2010 10:08 am
@Ionus,
Ionus wrote:
But other fields attract as well such as lawyers. Some professions do have a higher rate of homosexuality than the average. Actors, Lawyers and Doctors are higher than the average. To become a Doctor or Lawyer, you can not be afraid of a dictionary.

Yes, it's well known that heterosexuals react to dictionaries like vampires react to garlic.

Ionus wrote:
They also have a higher risk of suicide and drug abuse.

I'm sure you have statistical evidence to back that up.
Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2010 10:23 am
@Green Witch,
Green Witch wrote:

Quote:

Gay is the new Communist.

...or atheist.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2010 01:24 pm
I think sexual orientation only gets in the way in terms of the beholder. If a person is a homophobe, then that person will fail to appreciate the acting or musical talent of a homosexual. It is the observer's loss and not the performers.

I have known many gay people and the distribution of talent, intelligence, personal warmth and integrity is the same among homo- and hetero- sexual people.
Ionus

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2010 06:52 pm
@plainoldme,
I disagree. I have found born homosexual males to have a far greater understanding of humanity than heterosexual males - on average.
Ionus

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2010 06:59 pm
@joefromchicago,
Quote:
Yes, it's well known that heterosexuals react to dictionaries like vampires react to garlic.
That is totally incorrect. Vampires do not react to garlic, that is an old wives tale. Are you an old wife ?

Quote:
I'm sure you have statistical evidence to back that up.
I'm sure too.

That should get you started. Dont bother me if you cant do the rest.
plainoldme

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2010 09:31 pm
@Ionus,
I wouldn't say that but I think homosexual men are better at grooming than hetero men . . . homosexual men are often better dressed.
joefromchicago

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2010 01:13 am
@Ionus,
Ionus wrote:

That should get you started. Dont bother me if you cant do the rest.

That's physicians. You said lawyers have higher suicide rates and that doctors and lawyers have higher risks of drug abuse. And don't tell me to do your work for you: if you make an assertion, it's not my job to back it up with evidence.
Ionus

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2010 03:48 am
@joefromchicago,
If you dont know basic facts about the society you live in dont expect me to educate you. Do your own research. And don't tell me to do your work for you.

Quote:
While there is no good correlation with wealth or poverty and suicide, certain professions have especially high rates: psychiatrists, physicians, lawyers, and retired military officers.

http://www.a1b2c3.com/suilodge/facovr1b.htm
0 Replies

RadAndRandom

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2010 08:27 pm
@tsarstepan,
That's a MAN? Surprised
0 Replies

RadAndRandom

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2010 08:28 pm
@djjd62,
He came in second but got more fame than the winner. & can sing better too. So the fact that he came second does not affect anything.
0 Replies