Artificial stupidity (Thomas Sowell)

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2010 09:29 am
@gungasnake,
gungasnake wrote:

Your basic problem: it's harder than hell to teach grammer to people whose only known language is English, which basically doesn't have any grammar.

Up I this crack.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2010 10:15 am
@joefromchicago,

gungasnake wrote:

Your basic problem: it's harder than hell to teach grammer to people whose only known language is English, which basically doesn't have any grammar.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2010 11:48 am
@gungasnake,
gungasnake wrote:

Your basic problem: it's harder than hell to teach grammer to people whose only known language is English, which basically doesn't have any grammar. Teach them to speak Russian or German and the problem should go away.

One of the sillier things you've ever said, Gunga. And that's quite an achievement!

[Aside to Joe from Chi: mine also.]
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2010 05:47 pm
@Ionus,
I would say your comment here is cynical. The redistribution of wealth seldom arises from sympathy and is seldom voluntary. I would guess that lower middle class people are more apt to donate to causes out of sympathy than wealthy people.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2010 06:01 pm
@gungasnake,
Obviously, you know nothing about language acquisition, linguistics, teaching, social classes and more.

First of all, many students who are raised in non-English speaking homes often learn to speak English fluently but may never learn how to read English.

Second, many of my students arrive at this college operating on what had been a third grade level at the elementary school I attended. My classmates and I learned to read and write easily using the traditional Catholic school method. I am fully aware of the fact that not everyone learns in the same way and I understand that many of the alternate methods of teaching reading and writing were developed to meet the needs of students whose learning styles vary from the norm. However, the see it/say it or whole word method lingers on, despite having demonstrated its failure. Diagramming sentences is no longer done but ought to be brought back because it is logical and visual. (The symbols used in Montessori schools would be a good substitute.)

Third, teaching Russian would involve teaching them a new alphabet. Horrendous!

Fourth, teaching them Latin would be a better route to mastering English. If fact, I would love to see all special needs kids begin Latin in fifth grade. Make that all students. However, my daughter who teaches French and Spanish (and who speaks and reads six languages) says that a competent French or Spanish teacher, using linguistics, can accomplish what a good teacher can with Latin.

Fifth, an insufficient grounding in one's native language can and does keep people from learning other languages, which leads to sixth, the fact that some people are incapable of learning a second language.

0 Replies