Trash & treasure aficionados - seekers of pre-loved stuff of all sorts, enter here!

ossobuco

Reply Sat 6 Mar, 2010 06:06 pm
@msolga,
Yes..
msolga

Reply Sat 6 Mar, 2010 06:23 pm
@ossobuco,
Smile
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 6 Mar, 2010 08:03 pm
@msolga,
Quote:
Were you actually intending to use if for cooking when you bought it?
Yeh we were gonna make some old time apple butter at a festival at a friends place. We were gonna cook apples and apple cider till it thickened to a nice butter. Then the girls were gonna bottle it and wed all have several jugs of the stuff. Well, obne of the party goers was more familiar with these things and he showed me the telltale chunks of solder and the brazing metal.

We all ran home to get great big pots and cooked the sauces over a series of fires and we stirred the apple butter and drank beer. It took 5 big pots to make up the space that the apple butter cauldron had.

AS far as dumb things, I once got snookered and bought a fake piece of Newcomb pottery . I should have suspected that the price was too good.
msolga

Reply Sat 6 Mar, 2010 08:14 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
Yeh we were gonna make some old time apple butter at a festival at a friends place. We were gonna cook apples and apple cider till it thickened to a nice butter. Then the girls were gonna bottle it and wed all have several jugs of the stuff. Well, obne of the party goers was more familiar with these things and he showed me the telltale chunks of solder and the brazing metal.

We all ran home to get great big pots and cooked the sauces over a series of fires and we stirred the apple butter and drank beer. It took 5 big pots to make up the space that the apple butter cauldron had.

What a drama, farmer! (Though I enjoyed read your account of it, I must say! )

That could've been very nasty! (Sort of a like a Lupini bean episode disaster! Wink )

BTW that sounds like a HUGE cauldron , if it took 5 big pots to do the job! Say nothing of a humongous quantity of apple sauce! Surprised
farmerman

Reply Sat 6 Mar, 2010 08:20 pm
@msolga,
Heres a pic of such a cauldron. Ill bet that they are over 20 gallons in volume. They are made to hang over a fire suspended from a tripod crane and aa chain.
Then we would have to stir and tir so that the apple butter wouldnt stick when it started to get thick. (an old secret was to toss in a silver dollar to act as a nucleation point for the bubbles. --Of course silver is a toxicant also)

http://decorativemetalware.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/-58152304404670700.jpg
Ceili

Reply Sat 6 Mar, 2010 08:30 pm
I love thrift shops. I recently found an old wooden tripod - made it in to a lamp. I've found all kinds of jewellry, clothing, handbags and camera stuff over the years. My favourite find was an old door with a perfectly ancient beveled mirror. I'm not above garbage heists either, a few years ago I found an old, working singer sewing machine that I'm fond of. I've only recently bought new furniture, until that point however, my home was a used showroom.
I'm not big on clutter though. I routinely purge... it's good for the soul.
msolga

Reply Sat 6 Mar, 2010 08:30 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
Ill bet that they are over 20 gallons in volume.

Now that IS big!

Quote:
They are made to hang over a fire suspended from a tripod crane and aa chain.

This idea rather appeals to me. I can just picture the scene! Smile

I like the rustic look of the cauldron, too. Nice.

Too bad about the unhealthy aspects of using it for the purpose it was intended for though! Bummer.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 6 Mar, 2010 10:21 pm
@msolga,
I remember the lupini bean messaroo...

glad to see Ceili.
0 Replies

BorisKitten

Reply Sun 7 Mar, 2010 12:29 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
We each got a whole load of yarn for something like $20.00. Not nothing, but very worth it. I made a sweater, alas, for my husband that turned out to possibly fit a gorilla. Oh, well, I tried..

Oh, yaarrnnn! <Drool>
If you still have that giant sweater, you can always felt it (assuming it's wool). I've felted a couple of thrift-store sweaters and made handbags out of them.

I'd love to see the vest photos!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 7 Mar, 2010 04:55 pm
@Ceili,
Hi Ceili, good to see you here, sharing your lucky finds.

Quote:
My favourite find was an old door with a perfectly ancient beveled mirror.

Trying to think of my best find. But here have been so many great lucky finds over the years, they've become a bit of a blur I'm afraid.

One that comes to mind, though, wasn't actually my mine, but my ex's. We were rummaging around the Brotherhood op shop in Brunswick one Saturday when he stumbled upon a mint condition, super expensive designer label suit. (Sorry I've forgotten the actual label now) In exactly his size! We couldn't believe it. Had the previous (obviously well off) owner suddenly become considerably fatter or thinner? Decided on some whim that he suddenly didn't like this recent purchase after all ? Who in their right mind throws away almost new stuff like that? Incredible.

0 Replies