Trash & treasure aficionados - seekers of pre-loved stuff of all sorts, enter here!

djjd62

Reply Sat 6 Mar, 2010 07:03 am
@MontereyJack,
http://www.homeofficesolutions.com/images/main/knoll-womb-chair-and-otto.jpg
msolga

Reply Sat 6 Mar, 2010 07:04 am
@MontereyJack,
Quote:
My neighborhood also has very classy trash--people seem to throw out remarkable things for the trash trucks. Found a remarkable gilt bronze and frosted glass Art Deco chandelier years ago, and a classic Midcentury Modern Eero Saarinen Womb Chair.

I really can't understand people throwing away beautiful things. As if they're nothing but trash. How strange. But half your luck, I guess! Smile

You've really got me wondering what a Midcentury Modern Eero Saarinen Womb Chair could possibly be! I can't imagine.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 6 Mar, 2010 07:06 am
@djjd62,
Ah! Lovely! Very Happy

Now is that terrific design, or what?
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Sat 6 Mar, 2010 07:10 am
thanks djjd, everytime I can't get the damned thing to post someone comes along and does it for me. Any idea what I'm doing wrong this time? Got the {img}{/img} bit from the BBC editor (with straight brakcets, not curly ones, of course) and put the http etc URL in between them, but it still wouldn't post. Help, please!.
djjd62

Reply Sat 6 Mar, 2010 07:22 am
@MontereyJack,
typing this from the perspective of a mac user

when i right clicked on your original post and selected "view image in new tab", what came up in the new tab was the whole web page, so trying to save that as an image wouldn't work, you could have linked the web page like this:

Code:[url]web address[/url]

at the web page, i right clicked on the image and selected "view image in new tab", copied the address and did the usual [img][/img] code thing
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 6 Mar, 2010 07:27 am
@MontereyJack,
Quote:
olga, I'm a watch fan too, tho I kinda like the cheap quartz ones--new, tho a few years ago there were a lot of retro-styled ones which looked like twenties and thirties art deco ones, a period I love, and they only cost like ten or twelve bucks. Most of the cheap ones have backs that pry off with a jeweler's screwdriver, (look for the little slot in the case under the back) and you can replace the batteries yourself). Now, if you look around and avoid the fake bling ones, you can find ones that look like some of the expensive high-design ones for about a hundredth of the price.

Surprised Another watch person! I thought I was the only one left, just about everyone relying on their cell phones for the time, these days (which is why so many old watches are to be found in op shops, I guess.)
MontereyJack, you are a person of my own heart! Smile
Yes, I'm partial to some of the cheap quartz ones, too. But I do love stumbling on some quirky old Swatch that someone once loved. Now that's a find!
Yes, I guess I could do the changing battery thing myself, but it would take a little of the fun out of the experience. I do enjoy those conversations about each latest find with my local trader & besides, I like giving him him the business. Things are looking rather tough going for a number of my local businesses, including his. And his "special price" is extremely reasonable. So ....
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Sat 6 Mar, 2010 08:05 am
Excluding things like linens and computers, I think everything I own was once owned by someone else. Even two of our dogs had previous owners. The oldest part of my house was built by a veteran of the war of 1812. I've inherited most of my furniture and dishes, cutlery and pots over the years. Other stuff I picked up at auctions, estate sales, and dumpsters. For awhile it was a little side business for me, but Ebay took a lot of the fun out of it. I think most old furniture is made better than what is available new today - unless you go really high-end or into art furniture. I have one rug that belonged to a great, great Aunt that's so old she claims Czar Alexander II (circa 1850) walked on it while visiting the relatives she inherited it from. You can't get that kind of history at Pottery Barn.
msolga

Reply Sat 6 Mar, 2010 08:32 am
@Green Witch,
Excellent, Green Witch.
I am really impressed.
(Too bad about record on the linens & computers, though. Wink )
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sat 6 Mar, 2010 08:51 am
@Green Witch,
Green Witch wrote:
I have one rug that belonged to a great, great Aunt that's so old she claims Czar Alexander II (circa 1850) walked on it while visiting the relatives she inherited it from. You can't get that kind of history at Pottery Barn.

i don't know, i was once at an Ikea and a homeless guy out front claimed he was Czar Alexander

actually, i guess that's not the same thing really
msolga

Reply Sat 6 Mar, 2010 08:57 am
@djjd62,
Are you an op shopper/ thrift shop person, djjd?
I have a feeling you'd be big on pre-loved books & perhaps music as well?
Green Witch

Reply Sat 6 Mar, 2010 09:02 am
@djjd62,
Quote:
i don't know, i was once at an Ikea and a homeless guy out front claimed he was Czar Alexander

actually, i guess that's not the same thing really

Yeah, sort of like Rosanne Barr claiming she's Angelina Jolie and wants to have sex with you. Some how it just loses the fun factor.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sat 6 Mar, 2010 09:05 am
@msolga,
i love used book stores and used record/cd stores, buy some clothing (especially work clothes), and assorted knick knack stuff

this is one of my finds from a few years ago, took me a long time to find out waht it was

Vintage 140 ml NSW AHA beer/rum glass
msolga

Reply Sat 6 Mar, 2010 09:08 am
@djjd62,
Quote:
this is one of my finds from a few years ago, took me a long time to find out waht it was

Vintage 140 ml NSW AHA beer/rum glass

Well yes, it is a rather mysterious looking object. I can see why you'd have problems. Smile
MontereyJack

Reply Sat 6 Mar, 2010 09:19 am
:I'd guess NSW is New South Wales, but what's AHA?
msolga

Reply Sat 6 Mar, 2010 09:24 am
@MontereyJack,
Australian Hotels Association.

I just Googled to find out, because I didn't know either. Wink
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 6 Mar, 2010 09:36 am
No other thrifty shoppers for pre-loved bargains, here?
That's a bit surprising.

(Says she, as she heads off to bed. Good night, all.)
djjd62

Reply Sat 6 Mar, 2010 10:07 am
@msolga,
i had a bigger glass that got broken Sad

and i only paid $1.50 (canadian) for the two
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Sat 6 Mar, 2010 10:18 am
Aha! thank you, olga.
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Sat 6 Mar, 2010 12:44 pm
@msolga,
I buy my shoes and underclothes new -- anything else is up for consideration. When I was in high school my mom and I discovered the "rich ladies' shop" (well, that's what we called it) a consignment store that had reasonable prices and some amazing clothing. I found a one-of-a-kind floor-length batik Cheongsam from a tony shop in Yorkville (Toronto) and wore it to my high school prom. More recently I got a pair of black jeans for work for 50 cents -- nearly new! I would much rather buy gently used quality stuff than what my budget runs to new.

My favourite earrings (still!) I bought at a flea market for 50 cents when I was 12 -- dangly, art-deco-ish with purple stones, or glass, who knows? (Who cares?) And somewhere kicking around is a salt shaker I rescued from a burn barrel when I was about 5. Never knew what the pepper shaker looked like until 6 years ago when I saw the set in an antique store (asking price $20). Why would I hold on to a salt shaker? I dunno. I'm not a hoarder (I don't think...)

Rockhead

Reply Sat 6 Mar, 2010 12:57 pm
@msolga,
my thing is old antique sewing machine cabinets. (they make great fish tank stands)

I like the ones with the ironwork below best...

I don't ever pay more than $20.