Creatures magnificent

farmerman

Reply Tue 23 Feb, 2010 11:57 am
@JTT,
ggressive bears ARE habituated bears whove just realized that people arent any impediment to their lifestyles. You claim knowledge of thee animals almost to a sense of rudeness in your tone. Im wondering what the angle is that you wish to uphold?

My career path really has nothing to do with anything , except for you to try to cast not -so-subtle innuendo , are you looking for civil discussion or not? Why are you so defensive about people NOT agreeing with you . I understand your alleged point pewrfectly and agree that the majority of bear/human interactions result in no harm to the human and more to the bear. However, the occurences of bear killings and maulings cannot be ignored (if that is your thesis) and if , in your mind, someone who goes into the woods of bear country needNOT worry about bears--THIS PERSON IS A RAGING FOOL. As I said before, the 100 mile wilderness and the Katahdin entrances to the AT all have DOs and DOnts on bear savvy. They include keeping a level of sound so the animals (not only bears) will have ample distances to avoid any contact. Also there are warnings about food handling and the types of food that should NOT be kept in the open, since a bears sense of smell is equivalent to about 10 times more acute than a gas chromatograph. Nevertheless we have bear attacks and stalkings every few years (in 2002-2005 we had several occur EACH YEAR from Oak Orchard to Frederickton NB).

Im tiring of what has gone beyond a discussion of opinions and your growing embrace of an advocacy walking AMONG the bears.
Go ahead ,but just remember Tim Treadwell who thought he knew every thing about bears to the exclusion of the experts like the Craigheads (who asdvised him to be reaallly careful). Tim failed to heed these two guys whove worked with grizzlies for over 50 years each. Tim suffered a horrible death by mauling and eating. The sad thing was, due to his naivete, he convinced his girlfriend to live with him in his "studies" and she too was mauled and torn into little bits.

Ill continue to walk in the woods of Maine and in bear counties of Pa, hiking with my whistle and my 45(I do field geology in several areas of PA where bears live). If I never need my piece thats nothing on me since Im practicing preemptive self defense in an environment where Im only part of the food chain unless I make me more than equal to the other members.
JTT

Reply Tue 23 Feb, 2010 12:45 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
Quote:
My career path really has nothing to do with anything , except for you to try to cast not -so-subtle innuendo , are you looking for civil discussion or not? Why are you so defensive about people NOT agreeing with you .

Farmerman, please. I'm the Cliff Clayborne wandering into the barbershop. Don't you know that a whale and a fish are different? Killer whales are not whales. ...

Quote:
I understand your alleged point pewrfectly and agree that the majority of bear/human interactions result in no harm to the human and more to the bear. However, the occurences of bear killings and maulings cannot be ignored (if that is your thesis) and if , in your mind, someone who goes into the woods of bear country needNOT worry about bears--THIS PERSON IS A RAGING FOOL.

This is the first time after how many pages that you've acknowledged it. Before now you engaged in a lot of obfuscation. And you continue. I didn't say that a person was a fool to be concerned. I specifically said, at least once that great care must be exercised.

And it doesn't matter to my thesis if there are a few attacks per year. My thesis is that the number of attacks does not jive with, one, either the ease with which they could be done or two, the public's view of how they are done.

I also noted that my comments were about the grizzly.

Re the Craigheads. I haven't read their thesis so, obviously, not being that informed, I'm not ready to discuss it. But considering that the grizzly was pretty much wiped out in the whole USA, it's a safe bet that many many genetic aspects/behaviors are gone.

Again, that had little or nothing to do with my point. We both know that bears can be highly aggressive creatures. But they aren't. That's the puzzle.

Quote:
Im tiring of what has gone beyond a discussion of opinions and your growing embrace of an advocacy walking AMONG the bears.
Go ahead ,but just remember Tim Treadwell who thought he knew every thing about bears to the exclusion of the experts like the Craigheads

You're doing it again. Ignoring what I've said. I've not advocated walking AMONG the bears. I jokingly said I drowned a group who were engaging in such idiotic behavior.

I'm all in favor of rangers having legal authority to shoot the gawkers who stop their cars on the highways to photograph bears, leaving one member alive to remove the carcasses and the vehicles.

I read of Tim Treadwell but it was some time ago. Sad, but really, in the scheme of things, no great loss.

Were the bears rounded up and killed?

0 Replies

JTT

Reply Tue 23 Feb, 2010 02:57 pm
@Ionus,
I don't think that tigers and grizzly bears can be compared.

Quote:
Chitwan also has a sloth bear (no relation to bears apart from size) and it attacks people all the time. It usually is very quiet with its nose in an anthill but becomes very agitated if it thinks you have snuck up on it. It attacks untill you are still.

Forgive me, but the description "all the time" doesn't help much. And even if it did, the bear is only doing what's perfectly natural. You note that it stops when the perceived threat is neutralized.

I didn't say the Indians didn't hunt them or kill them. I was merely commenting on their respectful understanding of another animal.

Quote:
This may be true of bears in North America.

I don't think so. Grizzly hunting is not allowed in the contiguous US. A sow grizzly doesn't much give a damn that there are four or five folks facing her with guns. She'll still bluff charge, although the numbers certainly play into how far it's taken.

0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 09:47 pm
Quote:
After trainer's death, SeaWorld says it will keep killer whale but may change procedures

ORLANDO, Fla. - Despite calls to free or destroy the animal, SeaWorld said Thursday it will keep the killer whale that drowned its trainer, but will suspend all orca shows while it decides whether to change the way handlers work with the behemoths.

Also, priviledged visitors who occasionally were invited to pet the killer whales will no longer be allowed to do so.

"We're going to make any changes we have to to make sure this doesn't happen again," Chuck Tompkins, chief of animal training at SeaWorld parks, said a day after a 12,000-pound (5,445-kilogram) killer whale named Tilikum dragged a trainer into its pool and thrashed the woman to death as audience members watched in horror.

Talk-radio callers, bloggers and animal activists said Tilikum - which was involved in the deaths of two other people over the past two decades - should be released into the ocean or put to death like a dangerous dog.

Tompkins said that Tilikum would not survive in the wild because it has been captive for so long, and that destroying the animal is not an option either, because it is an important part of the breeding program at SeaWorld and a companion to the seven other whales there.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/100225/world/us_seaworld_death

Interestingly,

Quote:
Howard Garrett, co-founder and director of the Washington-based non-profit Orca Network, has studied killer whales for nearly 30 years and said the creatures are not considered dangerous to humans, even though they are highly efficient predators in the wild.

"In their natural habitat, there is no record of any harm to a human anywhere," Garrett said.

we have another situation where a wild animal, Killer whale, has ample opportunity to kill humans and "there is no record of any harm to a human anywhere". [ibid]

I once saw a youtube video of a killer whale that breached and landed on the front part of a kayak in front of a boatload of tourists. I wonder now, if it was real footage and what, if anything happened after the kayaker surfaced.

Killer Whale Lands On Kayak

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRDusxig_vQ

Just checked, there's another youtube that asserts it was faked. [Can't view it now.]

YouTube - Re: Killer Whale Lands On Kayak: Proof It's fake

http://www.bestofyoutube.com/story.php?title=youtube---re-killer-whale-lands-on-kayak-proof-its-fake-1
0 Replies