Making a Very Low Cost Recording Setup

Reply Tue 9 Feb, 2010 07:20 am
My children play musical instruments and occasionally need to record music for school, feedback or pleasure. My oldest is fairly accomplished so I was wondering what would be required to set up a decent recording on my laptop. I did a search and found good advice for the beginning home enthusiast, but I don't even know that I'm at that level. Anyone out there done something like this before? I figure I need one or two decent mics and some software. Do I need an audio interface?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,213 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 9 Feb, 2010 10:20 am
@engineer,
I'm no pro (and hope some of the ones here who are come along) but I think you'd want to go with an audio interface. If you are going to get an M-Audio MIDI controller like in that article I know they have some with the interface and the MIDI controller in one.

Here is some free software btw:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_free_software_for_audio

I've heard a lot about Audacity, but haven't used it much myself.
engineer

Reply Tue 9 Feb, 2010 12:32 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Thanks. I wasn't sure about the keyboard, but I'm sure the kids would want one since they all play piano and it allows them to step up the creativity. I am far less musically talented, but I'm running somewhat blind. A combined MIDI/audio interface might be the place to go.
Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 9 Feb, 2010 12:40 pm
@engineer,
Let me know if you do. I had an M-Audio MIDI controller and wanted to learn piano that way. So I bought some neat software for learning piano that works well with those USB MIDI controllers and that I could send your way (I gave away the keyboard when I moved and never really had time to play).
engineer

Reply Tue 9 Feb, 2010 12:43 pm
@Robert Gentel,
I just looked at an M-Audio Prokeys Sono 61 that looks like it could double as a portable piano. My oldest plays a mean piano and violin, so that might come in handy for both recording and playing. It looks like that plus a couple of decent mics and I'm in business.
Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 9 Feb, 2010 01:09 pm
@engineer,
Just don't buy it at that price. I got my M-Audio keyboard (no audio interface) for a lot less than that, and I know that there are relatively cheap audio interfaces (looking at one from M-Audio on Amazon now for $80).

You can get the same thing on Amazon, for example, for $243.76 while M-Audio lists it at $500.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 9 Feb, 2010 03:34 pm
I found this keyboard for ya(Yamaha PSR 520)
It is the same one I use on stage. This is a terrific deal and it will interface with your computer

http://cgi.ebay.com/Yamaha-PSR-530-portable-keyboard_W0QQitemZ230432638624QQcmdZViewItemQQptZKeyboards_MIDI?hash=item35a6db06a0
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2011 03:36 pm
@engineer,
Spend your whole budget on the best microphone you can afford, if you want to record real instruments. The rest is cheap or free. If you have a budget I could recommend some.
0 Replies