Ramadan for the year, 2003 Begins Today

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2003 02:46 am
Ramadan will begin on October 26, 2003. The last day of Ramadan will be Novembeer 23, 2003.

For those interested in the meaning of Ramadan:

Ramadan • \RAH-muh-dahn\ • noun
: the ninth month of the Islamic year observed as sacred with fasting practiced daily from dawn to sunset

Did you know?
Because Islam adheres to a lunar calendar, Ramadan is observed 11 days earlier each year, so that in a cycle of about 33 years it passes through all the seasons. Supposedly, however, it was originally one of the hot months. Thus, it is ultimately derived from Arabic "ramada," meaning "to be heated or hot." Muslims are required to fast during Ramadan to commemorate the revelation of the Koran to Muhammad. Fasting during this month is also considered one of the five Pillars of Islam (the others are the profession of faith in Allah as the one God and in Muhammad as his prophet; prayer five times a day; the giving of alms to the poor; and the hajj, a pilgrimage to Mecca). The first print usage of "Ramadan" in English dates from approximately 1595.

To learn much more detail about Ramadan, Essentials of Ramadan - The Fasting Month is a thorough resource.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 6,267 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2003 11:27 am
My understanding re the end of Ramadan is that it doesn't end on a predictable date, but that an imam (or someone else with appropriate authority) decides on the end date. A friend of mine, who converted to Islam and observes Ramadan, has told me this. The ending date is known, approximately, but isn't nailed down at the outset. Or so he says...
0 Replies

barhoooooom

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2003 02:16 am
the starting and ending of ramadan is determined by the moon. at night, if the moon of the beggining of the omnth is seen then the month starts. and after 29 days they will also look at the moon to see if the second month has started or not.

if two people come to the authorities and swear infront of them that they have seen the moon, then thats it, the month srats/ends.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2003 02:24 am
Thanks for the info Barhoooom and welcome to A2K. Give a yell if you need any help finding your way around here.

While you're here, would you be able to explain some information I came across while doing research for another topic on these boards?

I learned that in the Koran the Prophet Mohammed instructs Muslims to break their dusk-to-dawn fast during the holy month of Ramadan by eating a date, even before taking a drink of water. Can you explain the meaning and symbolism of that?
0 Replies

barhoooooom

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2003 09:24 pm
you r welcome,

I am happy that some one is asking about islam in a nice manner, usually what people do is only attack. thanks for your question.

the answer is:

first: :-) mohammad peace be upon him did not write the QURAN, God revealed it. :-)

second: there is nothing in the quran that speaks abt breaking the fast with dates.

if it is in the Quran then it will be a must, no the quran does not speak about that.

actually, we muslims DO USUALLY break our fast with dates OR water. we do this because the prophet mohammad peace be upon him RECOMMENDED that we do so. he said once that it is PREFERRED to break the fast with dates, and if you have non then with water.

so it is not compulsory, but it is preferred, and the prophet mohammad peace be upon him used to do it alwayse, so we like to do it because he used to do it. and we do it, because in islam, if you do something that the prophet mohammad peace be upon him recommended then you will get more reward from God in heaven.

WHY DATES?

actually, the saying of the prophet does not say why, but modern researches say that it is preferred to break your fast with somehting sweet. I dont really know why, it is something that has to do with the body and that it needs this sweet thing more than the other food.

actually, I dont really mind about what the science say, people talk abt it too much, and I dont eat dates because science says that it is benificial, the reason why I do it is that the prophet mohammad pece be upon him recommended it.

sorry for being long.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2003 09:40 pm
Thanks barhooom.

And thanks, butrfly, for the topic.

Funny, I thought Ramadan started on the 24th this year.....
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Ramadan for the year, 2003 Begins Today
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 08:12:40