50 years ago today, the country changed for the better

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 05:00 pm

It was on Feb 1, 1960 that four black college freshmen walked up to the "whites only" lunch counter at an F.W. Woolworth in Greensboro, N.C., sat down and demanded service.

That act changed the country for the better.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/02/01/greensboro.four.sitins/index.html?hpt=C1

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 9 • Views: 2,178 • Replies: 9
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 05:06 pm
Agreed, MM.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 05:11 pm
@mysteryman,
Without a doubt.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 05:25 pm
@mysteryman,
Brave folk.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 05:26 pm
@mysteryman,
Cool post

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 05:40 pm
Major action well done.. with long term impact. Gives me chills, really.. what four people can do.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 05:42 pm
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 06:01 pm
@mysteryman,
More than 15 years ago I was privileged to be shown the premises of the F.W. Woolworth store in Greensborough, at that time being readied to become a civil rights museum. I was introduced to the then-curator of the museum, a gentleman whose name I no longer remember. I was even given a souvenir key chain with the museum logo. Still have it somewhere, I believe. In the course of time I forgot all about it, especially since there was nothing to bring me back to Greensborough. I assumed, somewhere in the back of my mind, that the museum had duly opened, probably within a year or so of my visit, and was operational. Imagine my surprise to hear on NPR's "Morning Edition" that the official opening was today, to coincide with the sit-in's first day.

Even 15 years ago -- never mind 50 -- it was virtually impossible to imagine that one day an African-American would be this coun try's chief executive.

We've come a long way, baby.

0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 11:39 pm
@mysteryman,
I sometimes wonder if we are brave now as we were then. The battles for equality we fight for today don't seem to have emergent heroes.

Someone wiser than me, tell me how it is.

T
K
O
0 Replies

Philis

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 11:42 pm
@mysteryman,
Of those 4 black college freshmen, 1 of them is now a general and has a degree in engineering physics.
0 Replies