I need help with Downloading anything from Microsoft.

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 05:55 pm
I have an Acer Aspire One computer. Every time I try and download anything (ex: Directx9 or any kind of service package etc etc) I get an "Opps! This link appears to be broken." Message.
I would have not bothered, but it turns out that anything at all that i need from Microsoft, even updates, will not be downloaded or installed onto my computer which is a problem. There's no way the entire Microsoft download center is off line or something, so if you have any idea what the problem is, please help me out. I'll put the links in for DirectX9. if you can get it to work, great, but tell me what you did, or if you found some other way to get it.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=2da43d38-db71-4c1b-bc6a-9b6652cd92a3&displaylang=en

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/confirmation.aspx?familyId=2da43d38-db71-4c1b-bc6a-9b6652cd92a3&displayLang=en

http://download.microsoft.com/download/1/7/1/1718CCC4-6315-4D8E-9543-8E28A4E18C4C/dxwebsetup.exe
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 2,127 • Replies: 3
No top replies

BillRM

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 06:25 pm
@TilionLee,
What windows OS are you running?

Second can you go to the major AV websites and is your AV being updated?

Is your restore points working also?

I do not mean to worry you but some viruses/malware will block you from going to Microsoft update page or the major AV sites and also disable your restore points.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 10:28 pm
some suggestions
1. microsoft sites are ony accessable with Internet Explorer. actually thats not quite true but its too invlved to explain. just make sure you use internet explorer

2. your copy of windows may be pirated.

there used to be a program called og check (i think) which checked your copy of windows. have a look for it.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 10:35 pm
@TilionLee,
Sometimes that happens when you are infected with malware and it does not wish for you to fix your computer. Here is what I would do first:

1) Check you HOSTS file (usually located at C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc

Domains listed there may be blocked, you can delete everything and restore to a clean HOSTS file. Here is what mine looks like right now:

Code:# Copyright (c) 1993-2006 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
# 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
# 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

127.0.0.1 localhost

2) Check for changes (usually by malware) to your DNS settings. Sometimes malware will do this and send you to malicious DNS servers. Ask your ISP for help with this as they will have to tell you what DNS servers you should be using.
0 Replies