Seed

Reply Fri 29 Jan, 2010 02:03 pm
A list of 20 famous banned books. The death of J.D. Salinger made me think what other books I have read that were banned at one time or another. I cam across a banned list of 51 books found here : http://hunch.com/banned-books/?SEMref=google&kw=banned%20books&gclid=CMOR54Kvyp8CFUeE7QodXRH10A#

1984, by George Orwell
Animal Farm, by George Orwell
To Kill a Mockingbird, by Harper Lee
Brave New World, by Aldous Huxley
Slaughterhouse-Five, by Kurt Vonnegut
The Kite Runner, by Khaled Hosseini
Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, by Mark Twain
The Grapes of Wrath, by John Steinbeck
The Catcher in the Rye, J. D. Salinger
Lolita, by Vladmir Nabokov
A Light in the Attic, by Shel Silverstein
All Quiet on the Western Front, by Erich Maria Remarque
Tropic of Cancer, by Henry Miller
The Perks of Being a Wallflower, by Stephen Chobsky
The Giver, by Lois Lowry
Bridge to Terabithia, by Katherine Patterson
Leaves of Grass, by Walk Whitman
Ulysses, by James Joyce
The Color Purple, by Alice Walker
I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings, by Maya Angelou

bold denotes what I have read.

Reasons behind banning a lot of this books are rather stupid. I remember reading Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, by Mark Twain in highschool. One of the students would read aloud at home. His cousin who was 7 or 8 maybe was over and listened to him read it. The word nigger and nergo were to much for his mother to bare and raised a huge fuss over us (11th graders mind you) reading it in class. Nearly got the book banned in our school system.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 8 • Views: 4,831 • Replies: 25
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 29 Jan, 2010 02:08 pm
@Seed,
Then there was the Index (not all so long ago either):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Index_Librorum_Prohibitorum
ossobuco

Reply Fri 29 Jan, 2010 02:21 pm
@ossobuco,
another interesting list (in the meantime, I'm trying to find a list of Index banned books):

books banned by governments -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banned_books
ossobuco

Reply Fri 29 Jan, 2010 02:25 pm
@ossobuco,
An incomplete list of famous names on the Index -
http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/mod/indexlibrorum.html

[From http://library.lib.byu.edu/~aldine/51Index.html]
The principle of a list of forbidden books was adopted at the Fifth Lateran Council in 1515, then confirmed by the Council of Trent in 1546. The first edition of the Index Librorum Prohibitorum, dated 1557 was published by Pope Paul IV. The 32nd edition, published in 1948 included 4000 titles. The Index was suppressed in 1966.
[Translated from http://www.union-fin.fr/~bcourcel/LivresInterdits.html]

It has proved to be somewhat difficult to get a complete list of books included on the Index. What follows is at least a partial list, derived from the above French website.

[See also Catholic Encyclopedia: Index of Prohibited Book]

In chronological order of the books, here is a list of French language writers having the honor of being put on the index.
CW = complete works
1948 = was in the edition of 1948

Rabelais (CW)
Montaigne (Essais)
Descartes (Méditations Métaphysiques et 6 autres livres, 1948)
La Fontaine (Contes et Nouvelles)
Pascal (Pensées)
Montesquieu (Lettres Persanes, 1948)
Voltaire (Lettres philosophiques; Histoire des croisades; Cantiques des Cantiques),
Jean-Jacques Rousseau (Du Contrat Social; La Nouvelle Héloïse)
Denis Diderot (CW, Encyclopédie)
Helvétius (De l'Esprit; De l'homme, de ses facultés intellectuelles et de son éducation )
Casanova (Mémoires)
Sade (Justine, Juliette)
Mme De Stael (Corinne ou l'Italie)
Stendhal (Le Rouge et le noir, 1948),
Balzac (CW)
Victor Hugo (Notre Dame de Paris; Les misérables jusqu'en 1959)
Gustave Flaubert (Mme Bovary; Salammbô)
Alexandre Dumas (divers romans)
Emile Zola (CW)
Maeterlinck (CW)
Pierre Larousse (Grand Dictionnaire Universel),
Anatole France (prix Nobel en 1921, CW à l'Index en 1922),
Andre Gide (prix Nobel, CW à l'Index en 1952)
Jean Paul Sartre (Prix Nobel (refusé), CW à l'Index en 1959).

"One could ask what did the study of literature look like in religious schools?"

Other Authors Listed

Peter Abelard,
Erasmus
Nicholas. Machiavelli
John Calvin
John Milton
Malebranche
Baruch Spinoza
John. Locke
Bishop Berkeley
David Hume
Condillac
d'Holbach
d'Alembert
La Mettrie
Condorcet
Daniel. Defoe
Jonathan. Swift
Swedenborg
Laurence. Sterne
Emmanuek. Kant
H. Heine
J. S. Mill
G. D'Annunzio
H. Bergson.

BillRM

Reply Fri 29 Jan, 2010 04:07 pm
There was a child book in the Miami-Dade school library system that was aim at very young children that show life of children in Cuba as happy. This book was not a stand along book but part of a whole serious of books dealing with children in many countries of the world.

The right wing Cuba nuts in my community demanded that this book be removed from the school system libraries and in spite of the school system staff recommendations not to removed this book the school board did so.

The results was at the time when we are laying off teachers and shutting down programs for lack of funds the system needed to come up with a hundred thousands or so dollars to fight in the federal courts for the right to removed this children book!

They won in the end but what a hell of a waste of resources over a few dozens books that was never design to be anything but happy books concerning the world children in the difference lands.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Fri 29 Jan, 2010 04:23 pm
as a mr. b. bragg once sang

well here comes the future and you can't run from it
If you've got a blacklist I want to be on it

waiting for the great leap forwards
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Fri 29 Jan, 2010 05:41 pm
Quote:
Organizers of the 2008 Olympics in Beijing have published a list of “prohibited objects” in the Olympic village where athletes will stay. To the surprise of many, Bibles are among the objects that will not be allowed.
spendius

Reply Fri 29 Jan, 2010 05:55 pm
@fresco,
Is that a recommendation to adopt the Chinese way of life fresco.? After all, if they are banning the Bible we must be on the wrong track.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 29 Jan, 2010 06:06 pm
@ossobuco,
Thanks osso. A handy list of must reads.

That's the idea of banning books. It gets them read more.

Who would wish to read books that were not banned? Like bound volumes of Ladies Home Journal.

I am happy to recommend all those on your list that I have read.
spendius

Reply Fri 29 Jan, 2010 06:10 pm
@spendius,
Apart from La Mettrie if you have no flameproof underwear.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 09:09 pm
http://januarymagazine.com/labels/banned%20books.html
Quote:
Dictionary Banned for “Oral Sex”
Merriam Webster’s 10th edition joins an illustrious group of books banned from some American schools, including selected titles by Maya Angelou, Maurice Sendak, Toni Morrison, Judy Blume, Margaret Atwood, J.K. Rowling, Stephen King, Isabel Allende, John Steinbeck, William Golding and many, many others.

This newest ban comes after a parent in a Riverside, California, school district complained of a “sexually graphic” entry in the dictionary. The Guardian sums things up:
Dictionaries have been removed from classrooms in southern California schools after a parent complained about a child reading the definition for “oral sex”.

Merriam Webster’s 10th edition, which has been used for the past few years in fourth and fifth grade classrooms (for children aged nine to 10) in Menifee Union school district, has been pulled from shelves over fears that the “sexually graphic” entry is “just not age appropriate”, according to the area’s local paper.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 09:23 pm
@ossobuco,
The index was still kicking when I was in high school and college. I still haven't read Voltaire, got to put him on my wish list; high school being strict catholic, first year of college being less so (smarter nuns). Rest of college was at university (little red school house), thank the lord and pass the ammunition.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 10 Aug, 2011 05:05 pm
School bans Vonnegut’s Slaughterhouse-5, so Vonnegut Library gives copies to students for free
http://tinyurl.com/3vmlg5b

Take that your bastard fascist Mad PTA!
Irishk

Reply Wed 10 Aug, 2011 05:08 pm
@tsarstepan,
I saw one at a used book store the other day and thought about sending it to them just to be onery Smile
izzythepush

Reply Wed 10 Aug, 2011 05:20 pm
@tsarstepan,
I can't imagine why anyone would want to ban it.
spendius

Reply Wed 10 Aug, 2011 05:21 pm
@izzythepush,
Which is not a reason izz.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 10 Aug, 2011 05:23 pm
@spendius,
Yeah, but I can understand why Tropic of Capricorn was banned, basic prudery. Interestingly not Opus Pistorum.
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 10 Aug, 2011 05:32 pm
@izzythepush,
According to the article, the school board didn't like the F bomb ... saying it was on "every other page" and something about a perceived antichristian theme in the book. Go figure.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 10 Aug, 2011 05:33 pm
@Irishk,
Irishk wrote:

I saw one at a used book store the other day and thought about sending it to them just to be onery Smile

Perfect act of civil disobedience! Very Happy
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2011 03:46 am
@izzythepush,
Opus Pistorum is a very Christian book. Miller was a bit of a prude underneath.
0 Replies