Ever see the use of a rug for basketball court flooring?

Linkat

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2010 01:01 pm
And why the h*ll would anyone think this is a good idea? Why would a school use a rug for flooring on a basketball court in a school gym? Curious as to the logic.

Thanks to such a flooring, my daughter has rug burns all over knees and legs (we had knee pads for her, but they kept falling off - she is a skinney mini/looking for xtra small knee pads and haven't been successful).
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 558 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Joe Nation

Reply Thu 28 Jan, 2010 07:53 am
'tis weird that they haven't explained. What do they say when you ask? Is the floor in such bad shape it can't be played on?

Note: at one of my kid's schools you were only allowed to use your "Court" shoes in the gym. Those were shoes that had NEVER been used elsewhere. They said that the biggest factor of damage to the basketball court was from the grit, sand, tar and other stuff brought in from outside.
They may have been right. We went from re-finishing the floor every two years to not refinishing it at all in the next ten.

Joe(just a little damp mopping every day or so.)Nation
Setanta

Reply Thu 28 Jan, 2010 08:43 am
We had two gymnasiums, one which was part of the new construction done in 1959, and the other the old gymnasium which served the school prior to the new construction. Previously, both the elementary school and the high school had been housed in one building dating from the 1890s. The new expansion added a long wing which became the elementary school to the east end of the old building, which became exclusively the high school, and a new gymnasium was added at the south end of the old building.

We were not allowed to walk on the floor of either gymnasium in our "street shoes." The older, smaller gym was used as the dining hall for the cafeteria (added to the east end of the old building at the same time as the new elementary school--previously, everyone brought a lunch), for girls' physical education, for organized elementary school sporting events (i.e., basketball) and for dances. The larger, new gymnasium was used for boys' physical education and for high school basketball. Since it was necessary to pass through the old gym to get to the new one, the west end of the gym was roped off in the day time. When girls' PE was in progress, and when the dining hall was used, everyone was required either to wear "court shoes" (PE) or to remove their shoes, which were lined up at the east end of the gym.
0 Replies

George

Reply Thu 28 Jan, 2010 09:03 am
@Linkat,
Rug? That makes no sense to me.

I've seen a kind of rubbery substance used and I've even seen linoleum tiles
(my knees still suffer), but never a rug. Must be a bear to dibble on it.
Setanta

Reply Thu 28 Jan, 2010 09:14 am
I always dribble on myself . . . it doesn't make it the floor . . .
mismi

Reply Thu 28 Jan, 2010 09:20 am
@Setanta,
I giggled...that was funny.

I have seen it Linkat...it does not make sense at all.

But I do understand them not wanting you to use outside shoes in a gym that has hardwood. That's why you have to wear the nasty bowling shoes too I bet. yuck.

My cousin played for the University of Florida several years ago. They played a game at the Georgia Dome and they had astroturf. When I got to see him after the game he was eaten up...nasty rug burns all over. I don't know why anyone would want to play on that kind of flooring ever.
Linkat

Reply Thu 28 Jan, 2010 12:11 pm
@Joe Nation,
I haven't asked - I wasn't at the game - hubby is coach and the time was while I was at work and it was about the furthest they travel for games.

One of the parents at my daughter's school though has nephews at that school - I'll ask her if she knows.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 28 Jan, 2010 12:14 pm
@George,
It is definately a rug material - I went a couple of years ago to a game here.

I was thinking at the time, it was to protect the kids from getting hurt on a wood floor, but the rug is worse. It is a tight enough rug probably the correct term carpet that you can bounce a ball - I think they may use this for some indoor tennis courts (not 100% sure though).
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 28 Jan, 2010 12:16 pm
@mismi,
Well I'm glad some one has seen otherwise you probably all thought I was looney. (maybe still do)

Good news is we did find her knee pads. She plays pretty hard so she often falls or is tripped - she's been scratched, slapped and pushed. Never realized how physical basketball was before having a daughter playing it.
0 Replies

George

Reply Thu 28 Jan, 2010 03:04 pm
I did see a kind of carpet on an indoor soccer/lacrosse facility in Burlington.
Might be the same sort of thing.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Ever see the use of a rug for basketball court flooring?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 10/01/2024 at 09:35:43