Family Lines

Purple3

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 07:51 pm
Janet and four of her classmates spent may hours in the local and high school libraries researching their family "roots" for a classroom project. They were fascinated by the things they learned about their families' origins. The five students were intrigued by the fact that no two fathers came from the same country and no two mothers cam from the same country. From the info. below, figure out the roots of each of the five children. (The options for father are Danish, Irish, Russian, Spanish, and Swiss. Mother are Czech, Greek, Italian, Spanish, and Swiss.)

1.) Janet's parents who both had the same roots were able to tell her many things about her family background.
2.)Abe and Carl helped each other on the assignment because Abe's mother and Carl's father had their roots in the same country.
3.)Phil and Rhoda sat across fro each other in the library as they read. One was studying Russia and the other Denmark, but neither on studied Greece.
4.)The father with Spanish roots and the mother Greek roots are not husband and wife.
5.)The student who studied her Danish roots did not read about Czechoslovakia.
HINT:Making a graph may be helpful.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 774 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Purple3

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 08:08 pm
@Purple3,
P.S. I know that Abe's father is Irish and Carl's mother is Greek.
jespah

Reply Sun 24 Jan, 2010 07:53 am
@Purple3,
Purple3 wrote:

P.S. I know that Abe's father is Irish and Carl's mother is Greek.

Since you know this part, you can at least draw a small conclusion from #4. Have you drawn a graph? I find these extremely difficult without a graph with boxes you can check off.
Francis

Reply Sun 24 Jan, 2010 08:46 am
@jespah,
Jespah, I made the graph and, to my surprise, I discovered you are from Spanish ancestry! Mr. Green Mr. Green
jespah

Reply Mon 25 Jan, 2010 05:16 am
@Francis,
I actually do have a lil Spanish in me. One family name is Terner, from ternera (calf, AKA baby cow. That side of the family were farmers so it fits). Smile
0 Replies