Are Americans too thin skinned?

Gala

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 12:36 pm
I had a conversation with a woman from Germany and she is astounded by how easily people in America get their quills up.

Her husband is American, and she commented the biggest argument they ever had was how critical he thought she was.

She thinks we're overindulged in just about everything and as a result, our feelings get hurt too easily, whether it be on the job, with friends or recieving bad customer service.

So what do you think?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 16 • Views: 3,549 • Replies: 40

sozobe

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 12:42 pm
@Gala,
I think there's probably some truth to that.

The word "entitlement" comes to mind.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 12:46 pm
@Gala,
Gala wrote:

I had a conversation with a woman from Germany and she is astounded by how easily people in America get their quills up.

Her husband is American, and she commented the biggest argument they ever had was how critical he thought she was.

She thinks we're overindulged in just about everything and as a result, our feelings get hurt too easily, whether it be on the job, with friends or recieving bad customer service.

So what do you think?

Sounds like she's pretty ******* critical, I side with the husband.

Cycloptichorn
Mame

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 12:49 pm
I think it's quite natural to be sensitive to criticism. I don't like my country or people criticized or mocked by outsiders, either. I'm sure that can be said about just about anyone.
Thomas

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 12:49 pm
@Gala,
Gala wrote:
Are Americans too thin skinned?

You talkin' to me? You talkin' to me? You talkin' to me? Then who the hell else are you talkin' to, you talkin' to me? Well I'm the only one here. Who the **** do you think you're talking to?"

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 12:50 pm
I think that the question should better why Germany wives are so mega-hyper-critical ...
Mame

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 12:54 pm
@Gala,
Gala wrote:

What the hell is she saying to them?
engineer

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 01:03 pm
@Gala,
Sounds like the thread Robert had a couple of weeks ago about how people excuse behavior from their own group but look at other groups with distrust. I'm sure Germans get bent if Americans walk around beating them up as well.
Gala

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 01:04 pm
@Mame,
It was just a passing conversation I had with her. We were talking about work, and life at work and she believes Americans are spoon fed at their jobs in terms of their feelings getting hurt when a boss critisizes them.

On one level I understood exactly what she was saying. On another level, and I let her know it, that she didn't quite seem to understand is that being appreciated at work matters especially when the work culture encourages team environments.

0 Replies

Gala

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 01:06 pm
@engineer,
The one about giving a name to a syndrome where you can tolerate imperfection among your own, but fiind it inexcusable among others?

Not exactly, only because she felt that if a boss critisizes what you do then you accept it and move on.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 01:07 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Don't fault Germans, Walter. Its the universal sisterhood ! Wink
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 01:07 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Now, that's funny.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 01:19 pm
@Thomas,
I have never seen, only heard about that scene. Boy, is he young there, and so good. I think he kind of embodies the East/MidAltlantic-- especially Jersey and NY( I know it takes place in NY but that kind of toughness is all over the East until you start hitting the S. Eastern parts.)
Gala

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 01:19 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
She admitted to being critical.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 01:31 pm
VALTER WAS JUST KIDDING!!!! Evil or Very Mad

However, coming from the land of Krauts and visiting them often, I have to say, that Germans are in general more critical. Americans are far more accepting -
one of the many aspects I like about Americans.
georgeob1

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 01:34 pm
@CalamityJane,
That is Calamity's way of telling us that Walter is now dead.
Thomas

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 02:08 pm
@Gala,
Gala wrote:
I have never seen, only heard about that scene. Boy, is he young there, and so good.

I agree! And to think he was only the second-best actor in that movie, and that the better one was even younger .... I warmly recommend watching it entirely. It's one of the best movies ever.

Gala wrote:
I think he kind of embodies the East/MidAltlantic-- especially Jersey and NY( I know it takes place in NY but that kind of toughness is all over the East until you start hitting the S. Eastern parts.)

More agreement from this not-yet-American from Joisey.

0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 02:14 pm
@Mame,
Mame wrote:

I think it's quite natural to be sensitive to criticism. I don't like my country or people criticized or mocked by outsiders, either. I'm sure that can be said about just about anyone.

one of my pet peeves is nationalism, i like living in canada, and i appreciate what i have, but i'm not very flag wavy or patriotic, the only time i get really bent out of shape about it is the quebec issue, and that's because they're so adamant about who they are and what they should have, i like to think we're human beings first, nationals second
Irishk

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 02:24 pm
@Mame,
It depends. I think it used to bother me, but now not so much. I overheard a woman in a department store explaining to one of her customers how much better everything was in Europe. When it was my turn to pay, we chatted and I asked her how long she'd been living here. She told me 10 years and I mentioned she must be anxious to get back home. She said oh, no, I can make much more here than I could over there. She was very pleasant...we wished each other a Merry Christmas and I told her I hoped she'd at least be able to get home for a visit over the holidays. I was more amused than offended.
CalamityJane

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 02:25 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

That is Calamity's way of telling us that Walter is now dead.

You got that right!! Atonement comes to mind Very Happy
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Are Americans too thin skinned?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/18/2024 at 02:22:50