Reply Tue 19 Jan, 2010 09:16 pm
@msolga,
I grew up listening to Ronstadt.

Rest in peace, Kate.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 20 Jan, 2010 12:28 am
@djjd62,
The interview is in the second half of part one, for anyone having difficulty finding it. As I did. (never mind, I found the rest of the program really interesting & informative. Terrific radio!)

I liked the part where Linda Ronstadt talks about the "hardened NY critic" who cried when he heard Kate & Anna sing Talk to Me of Mendocino. She said she couldn't sing it for quite a time because the song made her cry. It has exactly the some effect on me. Beautiful, moving song.

I thought her description of the McGarrigles as "folk singing aliens in the pop world" was particularly apt. Smile

Rest in peace, Kate. You got your life priorities straight & produced some exquisite music along the way.
ehBeth

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 11:44 am
@msolga,
As It Happens is one of my favourite radio programs. I used to listen to it at the kitchen table, doing my homework. I learned a lot about the world through As It Happens.

There is another podcast on Q which might be interesting to people following this thread.

http://www.cbc.ca/q/

(the Jan 20 podcast. I don't much care for Jonathan, but he did have some good guests on)
msolga

Reply Fri 22 Jan, 2010 01:05 am
@ehBeth,
I really liked those two presenters, ehBeth. Very informative & lively to boot! Smile

Good range of topics they covered - interesting perspectives.

Thank you for the link. I love good radio. I actually prefer it to television, I think.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sat 6 Mar, 2010 11:46 pm
I have their album, "Heartbeats Accelerating," in my car CD player now. It's the one with, "I Eat Dinner," my favorite McGarrigle song.

I saw the sisters in Boston around the time that album was released and later saw their "McGarrigle Radio Show." I feel there is an empty space in my heart.
0 Replies