Does what we are named affect who we are?

contrex

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 03:22 pm
Les soirées sado-mazo ? Ou les femmes portent les cravates de notaire...
Francis

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 03:30 pm
@contrex,
Je préfère les cravates de notaire dans l'intimité..

But this has nothing to do with the name you bear..
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 03:41 pm
There is a road here called Graves Rd, its named after a local resident mr Graves. along that road is a cabinet maker, in years gone by cabinet makers made... coffins. The cabinet makers name.... Lauries Corpes.
I kid you not.

I think its an Australian thing to shorten the name Richard to Dick. I wonder how that came about
There was a guy around here (he passed away some years ago) named Richard Head. I believe his Parents did it deliberatly thinking the shortening of his first name would be inevitable.

When we were selecting our babys names we would each throw up a couple of names and reject them on various grounds. a common ground for rejection was we knew someone who had that name in school and they were not nice.
contrex

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2010 01:30 am
@dadpad,
dadpad wrote:
I think its an Australian thing to shorten the name Richard to Dick.

We do it in England, too, and in the States, (Richard Nixon was known as "Tricky Dicky") and I daresay S Africa Canada NZ Ireland as well
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2010 02:27 am
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

Here is a study about that:

The Causes and Consequences of Distinctively Black Names

In the book Freakanomics Levitt discusses this and it's worth the read. Here is an essay on the same subject by him:

A Roshanda by Any Other Name
How do babies with super-black names fare?

We often talk about doing Registration Therapy at work...ie changing kids' names.

There's a bunch of kids that have abuse prone names, or names that mean they are likely to be very aggressive and naughty in school.

Most therapists or welfare folk, or forensic workers in Oz would agree on most of the names.

It's not a race thing here...it's a certain sub-culture thing.
dadpad

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2010 08:11 am
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:

There's a bunch of kids that have abuse prone names, or names that mean they are likely to be very aggressive and naughty in school.
It's not a race thing here...it's a certain sub-culture thing.

Here is a quote from one of the reports dlowan linked to

Quote:
Among Blacks born in the last two decades, names provide a strong signal of socioeconomic status

I suspect there is a similar socio economic thing going on with the naughty kids mentioned.
dlowan

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2010 08:25 am
@dadpad,
Robert linked to that.

And yes, it is a similar phenomenon I believe.
0 Replies

jesusBastard

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2010 11:30 am
My name is Misty. Sometimes I'm sad.
My brother's name is Wynn. (my mother's favorite.) His middle name is chester, but I dont know if he does much hunting. He's very gentle and not prone to violence.
My Son's father and I never married, so his last name is hyphenated (Schipman-*****) and he is on his way to Annapolis MD to us naval academy... Naval officers are called mid-Shipman.
Its interesting...doesnt hafta be a black thing.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2010 09:49 pm
@contrex,
Quote:
You could probably find people called Conner who are thieves, but it wouldn't prove anything. You could probably find an equal number who became bishops.

You've proved your point, Contrex.
contrex

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2010 09:05 am
@JTT,
Quote:
You've proved your point, Contrex.

Oh, my sides!
0 Replies