LIBERAL CENSORSHIP PREVAILS

Setanta

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2010 12:05 pm
When i was a boy, if any newspaper editors were suspected of being liberal, we got a rope, and strung the sons-of-bitches up from the nearest tree.

That's the problem with modern conservatives, they got no fuckin' balls.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2010 12:27 pm
@Merry Andrew,
Merry Andrew wrote:

Quote:
When guns work to stop crime, there's not nearly as much drama to sensationalize and, as a result, that much less coverage

Not only does David not understand the definition of censorship, he obviously has no understanding whatever of how a newsroom works. A dog bites a man, it's not newsworthy -- dogs do that all the time. A man bites a dog in public -- now you've got a story.

I fail to see what "censorship" has to do with any of this, even if I were willing to stipulate that the news media tend to be "liberal" (whatever that means, and, no, I'm not ready to stipulate that at all).

So, are you admitting that guns are used to save/protect people SO often that it's no longer newsworthy?
maporsche

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2010 12:28 pm
@ebrown p,
I have guns; and have often been called a liberal.

Leave your stereotypes at the door.
ebrown p

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2010 01:52 pm
@maporsche,
Sorry Maporsche,

... you are no liberal.
engineer

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2010 02:00 pm
@ebrown p,
But he's probaby been called one. These days, all you have to do is say birth control is a good way to stop abortions and you're a whacky lib.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2010 02:21 pm
@ebrown p,
ebrown p wrote:

Quote:
Its ez to imagine a publisher being extorted by whoever chooses to do so
against publishing something. Not all power is political.

Just how would liberals extort a publisher (seeing as we don't have guns).

Depends on the individual circumstances.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2010 02:24 pm
@engineer,
birth control is a good way to stop abortions

Guns are a good way to stop crime.
engineer

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2010 02:30 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
I always knew you were a anti-spanking liberal at heart!
ebrown p

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2010 02:39 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
I have always thought of birth control as kind of a trigger lock.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2010 02:52 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

Guns are a great way to commit crime.

I don't think birth control is a great way to commit abortion.
ebrown p

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2010 02:53 pm
@parados,
Nor are guns a good way to...

((never mind))
0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2010 02:55 pm
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

So, are you admitting that guns are used to save/protect people SO often that it's no longer newsworthy?

I think he is saying NOT having a gun save/protects people so often that it's no longer newsworthy. In fact it was never newsworthy because it happens every second of every day, someone is saved because there is no gun.
ehBeth

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2010 03:06 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

so what's your take on Randolph Roth's American Homicide?

Quote:
there were a little more than 14,000 murders in the United States in 2008... eclipsing the 611 homicides in Canada. Even if you take the population difference into account, that's still more than twice as many murders in the United States as in Canada. And when you look at individual cities, the numbers are even more stark. Winnipeg had 3.55 homicides per 100,000 people in 2007. That was the highest rate among major cities in Canada. Last year, New Orleans had the highest rate in the United States with 63.6 murders per 100,000 people.

Randolph Roth has spent a lot of time looking at why the United States has become such a murderous nation. He is a professor of history at Ohio State University. He's also the author of a new book called American Homicide. He was in Columbus, Ohio.

his interview here

http://www.cbc.ca/thecurrent/2010/201001/20100106.html

is an interesting listen

the portion of the interview reviewing where murder rates went up/down after the most recent U.S. presidential election was a surprise to me (I guess I've got some more reading to do)
maporsche

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2010 03:54 pm
@parados,
Actually, that's not what his analogy said.
maporsche

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2010 03:56 pm
@ebrown p,
ebrown p wrote:

Sorry Maporsche,

... you are no liberal.

Oh ebp....you may be surprised.

If being a conservative was at the -100 end of a number line and being a liberal was at the +100 end. On the majority of issues I'd probably be between +125 and +150.

My big problem with the democratic party is that they DON'T do what they promised they would do if we gave them the power.

I'm ready to take it away from them now.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2010 04:19 pm
@Merry Andrew,
Merry Andrew wrote:

And don't you need to have political power in order to "censor" something?

No, but you do need to have power.

Most liberals (or conservatives for that matter) don't have much power at at all and certainly not enough to censor communication beyond a very limited range (say perhaps within their individual families).

Deliberately not reporting certain facts in a newspaper or on TV, because they do not support your personal or editorial opinion, is a form of censorship.

Whether one calls it omission or supression, it is a form of censorship.

Censorship is not always a bad thing though.

ebrown p

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2010 04:34 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
Deliberately not reporting certain facts in a newspaper or on TV, because they do not support your personal or editorial opinion, is a form of censorship.

Whether one calls it omission or supression, it is a form of censorship.

This is ridiculously wrong. You often deliberately ignore certain facts out of your posts because they don't fit your personal or editorial opinion. This is your right as an individual with your own opinions about what is important. This doesn't mean you are guilty of either suppression or censorship.

The freedom of the press (with emphasis on freedom) works with the media as private, independent institutions. Each organization decides for itself how to serve its readership.

Censorship is when an outside agency has the power to take away this freedom-- i.e. to impose their will over the decisions of what should be independent organizations.

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2010 05:03 pm
@ebrown p,
So when the NBC censors, censor an NBC broadcast, that isn't censorship?
ebrown p

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2010 05:14 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
When the FCC decides that content shouldn't be shown on television and bans it from all networks-- that is censorship.

That is very different thing then when an private organization (like NBC) or individual (like you) makes decisions on based on your own opinions about what is important.

You have never once pointed out that the life expectancy in Canada (with its single payer health-care system) is higher than that in the US-- even though this is an incontrovertible fact.

Is this an example of censorship?

0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 12:40 pm
@maporsche,
So.. the news media does report every time a gun isn't used? hmm... must be a lot of news in your part of the world then

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/29/2024 at 11:26:46