Kim Peek, the inspiration for Rain Man, dies

Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2010 09:02 pm
Kim Peek, the original Rain Man, dies

Quote:
Kim Peek, the autistic savant who inspired the Oscar-winning film Rain Man, has died, aged 58.

Mr Peek's father Fran said that his son had suffered a major heart attack on Saturday and was pronounced dead at a hospital in Salt Lake City, Utah, the town where he had spent his life.

Mr Peek was probably the world's most famous savant. Described as a confounding mixture of disability and genius, his astonishing ability to retain knowledge inspired the writer Barry Morrow to write Rain Man, the 1988 movie starring Dustin Hoffman that won four Academy Awards.

Born in 1951 in Salt Lake city, Mr Peek was diagnosed as severely mentally retarded and his parents were advised to place him in an institution and forget about him. Thirty years later, he was classified as a "mega-savant," a genius in about 15 different subjects, from history and literature and geography to numbers, sports, music and dates.

By the time of his death he had committed more than 9,000 books to memory and Nasa made him the subject of MRI-based research, hoping that technology used to study the effects of space travel on the brain would help explain his mental capabilities.

He would read eight books a day, taking just ten seconds to read a page. He could read two pages simultaneously, his left eye reading the left page and his right eye reading the right page.

But throughout his life he still needed 24-hour care. Despite his great mental agility, his motor skills remained limited; he could not perform simple tasks such as dressing himself or combing his hair.

Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2010 09:04 pm

Joe Nation

Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2010 09:08 pm
Amazing.
And an amazing life.

We haven't any idea just what the brain can do.

Seed

Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2010 09:09 pm
@Joe Nation,
We use what, on the norm, 15 percent of the brains ability? The rest is just unmapped space waiting to get opened.
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2010 09:10 pm
Don't know what to say. I watched the movie three times. Still find myself laughing over the time Dustin Hoffman gets caught up in the Who's on First routine.
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2010 09:16 pm
Was the "Rain Man" character just based on Kim Peek, or was the whole going to Vegas and winning crap loads of money based on something Kim Peek did?
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2010 09:44 pm
@Seed,
Humans use 100 percent of their brains--despite the popular myth
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2010 09:49 pm
Wow, learn something never every day huh.
Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2010 10:05 pm
@Seed,
Yeah, but it's weird when it's something like that becomes common knowledge because of media repetition even though it's not true.
Seed

Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2010 10:09 pm
@Robert Gentel,
I think I even learned that in school... GO PUBLIC SCHOOLS!
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2010 10:16 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Yeah, it's amazing how many things we just "know" to be true because even dumb-ass teachers have told us so. Rcently the medical profession has been trying to determine who started that silly rumor that one must drink four glasses of water a day. I was taught that in health ed. classes in middle school. Today, there's not a doctor who can tell you why.
dadpad

Reply Wed 6 Jan, 2010 12:37 am
We have an independant Autistic program here in my town. One of the young men will tell you what day of the week you were born if given your birthdate. (and does so at every opportunity)
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 6 Jan, 2010 12:48 am
@Merry Andrew,
Merry Andrew wrote:
Rcently the medical profession has been trying to determine who started that silly rumor that one must drink four glasses of water a day.

I grew up on the 8-a-day routine. Good thing I like water anyway.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Wed 6 Jan, 2010 06:56 am
We use 100 per cent of our brain and we use 100 per cent of our body. Results differ based on who is running and who is thinking.

Joe(Don't ask me what I think about while running.)Nation
snood

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2010 08:52 am
@Joe Nation,
What do you run about while thinking?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 10:21 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Kim Peek in first video: "My dad and I share the same shadow."

It's very moving that the making of the film seems to have initiated a real flowering of Kim's life.

0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Kim Peek, the inspiration for Rain Man, dies
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/23/2024 at 12:06:49