geez louise, there are people playing Winnie Mandela?

Reply Sat 2 Jan, 2010 11:05 pm
Tell me more, tell me more, she says grumpily.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 2,074 • Replies: 12
No top replies

jespah

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2010 04:52 am
@ossobuco,
Why not? She's a historical figure and there are films about Nelson Mandela out there (Invictus, for one).
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2010 06:02 am
@ossobuco,
She's utterly fascinating, and her life reflects so much about the South African experience.

I had a friend who worked as a lawyer for the ANC, and the stories would make your hair curl...plus I have met numerous ANC women over the years...this is an amazing social phenomenon....with some very ugly warts, as you would expect in people with such terrible experiences.

I would love to see a really good film about her....do you have some sort of link to this, Osso?

msolga

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2010 06:39 am
@dlowan,
I think this is the same film that osso is referring to. It's a film made for television ..:

BBC commissions Winnie Mandela drama
Ben Dowell
guardian.co.uk, Wednesday 11 March 2009 15.33 GMT

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Media/Pix/pictures/2009/03/11/okenodo460.jpg
Sophie Okonedo as Winnie Mandela. Photograph: BBC

The BBC has commissioned a biopic of Winnie Mandela, the controversial wife of the first black South African president, starring Oscar nominee Sophie Okonedo.

Quote:
The one-off drama, Mrs Mandela, will premiere on BBC4 and air on BBC2 in the same week later this year.

Shot on location in Soweto, the film focuses on the relationship between Winnie and her Nelson Mandela, from their brief courtship in the 1950s to Nelson's release from prison in 1990.

Blood Diamond actor David Harewood will play Nelson Mandela, with Blackpool actor David Morrissey taking on the role of notorious police interrogator Theunis Swanepoel.

The film, made by independent production company Diverse, was written and directed by Michael Samuels, who directed BBC4 drama The Curse Of Steptoe about the troubled life of the stars of sitcom Steptoe and Son.

Described by the corporation as "a love story, a triumph and a tragedy" the film will chart Winnie Mandela's "progression from innocent country girl to politicised fighter against apartheid, from adoring wife to revolutionary firebrand".

The film will depict the succession of scandals which led to the woman once nicknamed the "Mother of the Nation" being called "Mugger of the Nation". ...<cont>

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2009/mar/11/bbc-commissions-winnie-mandela-drama
dlowan

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2010 06:44 am
@msolga,
The Beebs...could be good.
msolga

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2010 06:45 am
@dlowan,
Yes.
dlowan

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2010 08:24 am
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

Yes.

Succinct tonight?
msolga

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2010 08:29 am
@dlowan,
I'm working on getting even succicnter! Smile
dlowan

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2010 08:55 am
@msolga,
Ha,
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2010 11:29 am
Love all thed tags on this thread! Laughing Mr. Green
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2010 01:56 pm
Well, it seems a little early to me to be making a movie about her, tv movie or not, as she's still active. Sorry I didn't give a link.
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2010 01:59 pm
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

I'm working on getting even succicnter! Smile

Succinctest ->Me Cool
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2010 02:03 pm
@ossobuco,
Turns out there is also a regular movie being planned, with Jennifer Hudson cast as Winnie.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/23/movies/23arts-WINNIEMANDEL_BRF.html?scp=2&sq=winnie%20mandela&st=cse
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » geez louise, there are people playing Winnie Mandela?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/24/2024 at 09:50:11