Seed

Reply Sun 27 Dec, 2009 12:06 pm
So my brother in law stopped by today. He had a question. He is trying to hook a wireless router into a regular router which is hooked to the modem.

So it looks like this from the source. Modem> Wired Router> Wireless Router.

WHen his xbox is hooked up to the wireless router only, the security settings don't allow him to play with certain people or hear them when they talk. So the house is run off a regular wired router.

My sister got a netbook for Christmas and wants to use the wireless features. He wants to run the desk top and xbox off the wired connection and set up a wireless router for the netbook.

so it looks like
Modem > Wired router + desktop + xbox > Wireless Router + netbooks

But when he sets it up he broadcast a wireless signal but with no connectivity to the internet.

He is running xp and using a linksys wired router and a netgear wireless router. I thought that it might be a confliction in hardware. He said he read an article on a geek website that says that shouldn't be a problem.

Any ideas?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 2,444 • Replies: 19
No top replies

BillRM

Reply Sun 27 Dec, 2009 12:45 pm
@Seed,
First the two wireless routers should not be using the same channel as that might cause a problem being so close together.

Second you might wish to run the x-box by itself as it is my understanding that the x-box will only allow WEP not WPA encrypting

I think that a T connection with a non-wireless router hook to one wireless router for the X-BOX with WEP or no encrypting and the other wireless router for the computers might work out best.

Security Now website had information on hooking such a connection up.
Seed

Reply Sun 27 Dec, 2009 12:51 pm
@BillRM,
its just one wireless router total
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sun 27 Dec, 2009 12:51 pm
@Seed,
This set up should work; in fact, I've done similar things myself.

I suppose my first question, though, is whether the wireless router has any wired ports. Typically, wireless routers will have four or eight ports for wired connections in addition to the wireless connection. He might be able to dispense with the first wired router.

Typically, if you switch routers connected to the modem, the modem has to be rebooted/power cycled.

If he has to stick with his current setup, then I several avenues of investigation.

The first thing I would look at is the IP addresses assigned to each interface. I'm guessing that the wireless router is confused because it has the same subnet (ip address range) on both the outside and inside interfaces. Most of these home routers come with 192.168.1.x preconfigured, and if the linksys offers 192.168.1.x to the netgear's outside interface, and the netgear is already using 192.168.1.x for the inside interface, it won't work. Change the inside (private) range on the netgear to something like 192.168.2.x.

Other possibilities include DNS not working, but I really think the most likely problem is an IP address conflict.
BillRM

Reply Sun 27 Dec, 2009 12:54 pm
@DrewDad,
Do not a port need to be open for the x-box to work?
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Sun 27 Dec, 2009 12:55 pm
@DrewDad,
I was over at his house the other day when he was trying this. The wireless has ports. He has tried porting directly into the wireless router with the xbox but he still gets the problems of not being able to play/hear people on xbox live.

how do you change the private range?
ehBeth

Reply Sun 27 Dec, 2009 12:57 pm
reading along is this is sorta something I'd like to try to do - wired router to wireless router
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sun 27 Dec, 2009 12:59 pm
@Seed,
OK. Sounds like the Linksys is smart enough to pass through gaming stuff for the Xbox, and the Netgear isn't. About what I'd expect; I've a lot more respect for Linksys than I do Netgear.

The router should have a web interface that is described in the manual. If you give me the exact model numbers, I'll be better able to assist.
Seed

Reply Sun 27 Dec, 2009 01:02 pm
@DrewDad,
a big problem he (brother in law) has been having he says is that when he puts in the http:// 192.xx.x.x number in and the standard admin password it will not pull up the settings page or what ever it is to change anything.

i will get him to text me the type of routers they are
Seed

Reply Sun 27 Dec, 2009 02:52 pm
the netgear is WGR614 v6
the linksys is NR041
DrewDad

Reply Sun 27 Dec, 2009 05:06 pm
@Seed,
OK, here's a link to the manual: http://kbserver.netgear.com/pdf/wgr614v6_ref_man_20Apr05.pdf

Connect a PC to one of the wired ports on the Netgear router.

Quote:
Logging Into Your Router

To log into your router after you have configured your router, do the following:

1. Type http://www.routerlogin.net in the address field of Internet Explorer or Netscape® Navigator.

2. When prompted, enter admin for the router user name and password for the router password, both in lower case letters (or enter the password you chose if you changed it during the setup in “Initial Configuration” on page 3-2).

To change the LAN IP:
1. Look on the left-hand side for the heading, "Advanced Settings" and under that, click on "LAN IP Setup".
2. Change the IP Address section of the LAN IP Setup to use 192.168.2.1.
3. Change the starting and ending IP addresses of the DHCP range to 192.168.2.2 and 192.168.2.51.
4. Click "Apply".
5. Wait 60 seconds or so.
6. Disconnect your network cable and reconnect. You should obtain a new IP address.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sun 27 Dec, 2009 05:07 pm
@Seed,
He may have to go through the process to restore factory settings, then.

He should only have to make changes to the Netgear, though.
BillRM

Reply Sun 27 Dec, 2009 05:24 pm
@DrewDad,
He may have to go through the process to restore factory settings, then.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hitting the reset button should restore factory settings.

0 Replies

Seed

Reply Sun 27 Dec, 2009 05:29 pm
is there a certain way to hook the routers up? does there need to be some sort of Ethernet cable connecting the two routers?
DrewDad

Reply Sun 27 Dec, 2009 06:03 pm
@Seed,
The Netgear's "Internet Port" should be connected to one of the LAN ports on the Linksys. (The same way you connect a PC or the XBox to the Linksys.)
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Sun 27 Dec, 2009 06:21 pm
@Seed,
I did this once and I remember having to change a setting on the wireless router so that it would act as an access point instead of a router. Look for that option in the manual. Also, the you must connect the routers LAN to LAN. The Internet Jack on the wireless router should be empty.
DrewDad

Reply Sun 27 Dec, 2009 09:02 pm
@engineer,
Configuring an access point would be preferable to setting up two routers in line, but I could not find that option in the manual for the Netgear device.

Two routers in line will work, however, provided that they are configured properly.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 31 Dec, 2009 09:50 am
@Seed,
Ya'll ever get this working?
Seed

Reply Thu 31 Dec, 2009 10:21 am
@DrewDad,
Don't know. Kind of lost track of it while in the hospital. I think he decided to buy a wireless router the same make as his wired router. I'll give an update once i find out.
0 Replies

dou2ble

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 10:35 pm
@Seed,
Di d he port forward the correct ports? These are not physical ports that you can see on the router. If he did, the NAT settings on the xbox should say open.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/908874
I'm 99% positive this is why he got dropped from games or voice didn't work properly.

As far as running a router off another router it is possible. The router uses a NAT to take the public IP and provide 100's of private IP's for those on the LAN. The 2nd router can take one of those private IP's and through its own NAT create another private LAN. Now the subnets can not be identical. For example if the 1st router is using 192.168.1.xxx then the 2nd router should be 10.10.10.xxx

Hope that helps. Try using just the wireless router and do the port forwarding correctly. I'm positive that will fix it.

0 Replies