Have Norton 360 Ask Before Any Program Accesses the Internet?

Muarck

Reply Sun 27 Dec, 2009 02:40 am
I have Norton Firewall I think it was a 2003 edition. But it would ask me the first time before any program was given permission to access the Internet. And I really liked that. Unfortunately Norton 360 isn't doing that for me. It seems like there must be a way to make it do that, but how can I do that?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 3,016 • Replies: 4
No top replies

TTH

Reply Sun 27 Dec, 2009 03:15 pm
@Muarck,
As far as I know, which isn't much, the firewall makes security decisions for you. Norton is scanning any program wanting network access before granting permission for access. Otherwise, what you are asking is already built in to the Norton program.

That is my understanding, but please wait and see if one of the computer experts knows anything different.
Muarck

Reply Sun 27 Dec, 2009 04:28 pm
@TTH,
Thanks for the comment. It just seems strange because you used to have the choice. I know as time progesses they've been taking more and more choice away from the user, but I want the control back in my hands. I mean it's great that it automatically makes the best decision but there ought to be advanced control options. I want to change it so that nothing is permitted unless I say so. Currently I can change it to blocking something after it has already happened (ergo, prevent it from happening again.) But that's not really what I'm looking for.
roger

Reply Sun 27 Dec, 2009 06:18 pm
@Muarck,
I think that was the setup I had with ZoneAlarm many years ago. Unfortunately, I didn't know enough to give or decline permission. You are probably going through this because of people like me.
Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 27 Dec, 2009 06:23 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

I think that was the setup I had with ZoneAlarm many years ago. Unfortunately, I didn't know enough to give or decline permission. You are probably going through this because of people like me.

Right. An option like that would only confuse me and be a source of irritation. I'm computer semi-literate is all. And I'd probably let the manufacturers know that an option like that was, for me, a nuisance. Hence, you can blame Roger and me for the lack of such options.
0 Replies