DODGE AD TAKES VIEWERS TO THE URINAL

husker

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2003 03:30 pm
A MUST SEE BY DODGE _ TURN ON YOUR SPEAKERS!

Executive Explains Double-Entendre African-American Spot

NEW YORK (AdAge.com) -- A Dodge executive this morning explained the company's new African-American commercial for the Durango SUV that takes place in a men's bathroom and features two men in a double-entendre joke about penis size.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,652 • Replies: 21
No top replies

husker

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2003 03:35 pm
be sure to click on the movie
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2003 03:28 am
Hmm, the only reason I see this ad as notable is not because of it's shock-jock elements but because it takes on, by the horns so to speak, the stereotype about peni and automobiles.

I think it's a risky gamble, this could backfire.

psst, sorry to make a marketing dicussion about a joke Husker, but I have an interest in marketing.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2003 05:17 am
I stopped watching NYPD Blue because just too many of their scenes were shot in urinals. I found that it made me very uncomfortable. Everyone has to go to the bathroom, but do we really have to see it in living color?

I think that Craven is right. There may be a small niche audience that will relate to the ad, but I think that the average person will not have a positive reaction to it!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2003 05:51 am
And if that wasn't bad enough.....................

Quote:
Embarrassed GM to Rename Car with Risque Overtones
Thu Oct 23,11:41 AM ET

MAKUHARI, Japan (Reuters) - General Motors Corp will rename its Buick LaCrosse in Canada because the name for the car is slang for masturbation in Quebec, embarrassed officials with the U.S. automaker said Thursday.

GM officials, who declined to be named, said it had been unaware that LaCrosse was a term for self-gratification among teenagers in French-speaking Quebec.

GM officials in Canada are working on a new name for the car, a sedan that will go on sale next year to replace the Buick Regal.

The mix-up is reminiscent of another GM vehicle with an unfortunate name. In the 1970s, GM exported its Chevrolet Nova to Mexico and other Spanish-speaking countries, only to be told that Nova translated into "doesn't go." Despite the name, and contrary to popular folklore, the car sold well.

Seems that the car makers are not doing their homework!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2003 06:49 am
In another interesting aside regarding Quebec, you cannot buy Dr. Pepper there, because 'Pepper' is a derogatory term for the Quebecois. Quite frankly, there is only so much homework you can do, and Quebec slang is not exactly well-known around the globe.

As for the Dodge ad, time will tell if this approach will sell more Durangos.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2003 06:54 am
Given that the Dr. Pepper one buys in Canada contains anti-freeze, that's no great loss. I was stuck in a line at immigration in Detroit one day, drinking a DP i had bought in London before coming down to the border. Idly, i was perusing the label, when i saw "polyethylene glycol." Polyethylene glycol ? ! ? ! ? My God ! ! ! That's anti-freeze ! ! !

I'm philosophical though, we are poisoned in so many ways as it is. And i'm too damned cheap to throw out a litre of soda that cost me damn near three dollars Canajun. I've checked the label on the U.S. product--no anti-freeze.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2003 07:06 am
I'm reminded of that Simpson's episode where Bart gets kidnapped in France by creepy, shifty wine merchants. He finally escapes, and finds a cop, and tells his kidnapping story, which the cop brushes off. Then he says: "They put anti-freeze in their wine!" Response: "That is very serious!" So off they go. Laughing
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2003 07:13 am
As I said on the other thread - I think that ad is hilarious - because, as Craven says, it plays off the stereotype. It has to be way tongue in cheek!

Er - as it were.

Important women's stuff happens in the loo too, Phoenix....LOL
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2003 07:15 am
Oooooooh - I am a niche - LOL.

One suspects the niche concerned may not buy Durangos...
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2003 07:24 am
Yeah, to hell with those overbuilt gas-guzzlers. I don't know what i'll do when Ol' Bessie dies--i don't know if you can get a five-speed, two-wheel drive jeep with a four-cylinder engine any longer. She's a peach, gets great mileage, offers a very good view of the road, and weighs less than most standard passenger cars.

These days, "Sports Utility Vehicles" have become almost as large and unweildy as Humvees. Those who buy them don't use them for sport, seem unaware of the utility of such a vehicle type, and treat them the way people once did their mid-size passenger cars. They are washed and waxed and vacuumed, and shiny clean. Heaven forbid they would get any mud on them!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2003 07:40 am
All I know is that I've seen way funnier ads that are way more risque. In some ways, I don't know if this one goes far enough. Playing off a stereotype does indeed make it clever, but whether or not the idea works in terms of sales remains to be seen. Now, there is an ad for Subway where a middle-aged dude is washing his SUV in a schoolgirl dress and belly shirt, dancing to Tony Basil's 'Ricky' while the neighbours look on in shock and horror. His wife comes out in shock and just says "Frank?" He says "It's okay honey, I had Subway!" Segueway into Subway's low-fat sandwiches plug. Now that's funny...Laughing
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2003 08:49 am
Hey! We got that one - a world with but one culture...
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2003 10:07 am
Oh, as a amarketing afficionado I have seen much better risqué ads. This one strikes me as not too clever at all.

But what it does make me wonder about is if they are inviting a backlash in public opinion.

By associating the Durango with peni I wonder if their customers will be faced with more of the ole "Ohh, you bought that big car cause of a penile deficiency didn'tcha?"
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2003 11:02 am
hmmmm
I was thinking it was a fishing tale - the big one that got away or err it was this many inches as a man holds his hand up displaying a 3 foot catch.

err well ask any man how much 6" is??? LOL
well err Dodge added an inch to the story plus a little racial diversity, the big one got away! Smile
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2003 12:13 pm
Yeah, I tend to agree that inviting the "ya got something to compensate for, eh?" comments is not that wise.

I thought it was fairly funny.

The "Herbal Essence" commercials are weirder. At first it was funny, but it's pretty one-note.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2003 12:14 pm
There was a parody on I think Mad TV of a guy doing an Herbal Essences-type shampoo commercial that was HILARIOUS.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2003 12:14 pm
I generally don't watch the teevees, Boss, what's up with the herbal essence commercials?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2003 12:15 pm
"Totally organic experience", gal in shower saying, "Yes... yes... YES!!" and emerging looking... refreshed.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2003 12:24 pm
Ah well, probably not a bad idea--i'm reminded of Bernadette Peters on Saturday Night Live, in a low cut evening dress, singing When You're Making Love Alone . . .
0 Replies