Best new fictional characters in the decade?

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 10:03 pm
Quote:
Who Is The Best New Characters Of The Decade?
http://io9.com/5425335/who-is-the-best-new-character-of-the-decade
Benjamin Linus, Lost;
Thaddeus S. "Rusty" Venture, The legendary animated Adult Swim series, The Venture Brothers
Quote:
Cynical, selfish and entirely delusional when it comes to his importance in the world, The Venture Bros.'s patriarchal figure may be one of the most oddly complex, nuanced character on television these days. On the surface, he's a self-centered coward emotionally scarred from a childhood as a Boy Adventurer who resents his life, his family and pretty much the rest of the world, but the longer the show goes on, the more we see a different Rusty: The father who's grooming Dean in his image - because there's no way that could go wrong - excited about sharing his passion for prog rock and science (and, surprisingly, offering support and advice in times of need), for one thing, or the man who's so pissed off by trouble ruining his plans that he ends up doing heroic deeds just to make his own life easier. Never mind that he's also genius enough to successfully clone his kids for years, replacing them if and when they died... Rusty Venture isn't the kind of man you could rely on, but he certainly makes for entertaining viewing.

Gaius Baltar, Battlestar Galatica;
Donna Noble, part-time sidekick to Doctor Who;
Kate Kane/Batwoman.

My choice? I really love the Venture Brothers mention but I'll vote for:

TELEVISION:
Stephen Colbert, The Colbert Report;
Nate Fisher, Six Feet Under;
Detective Robert Goren, Law and Order: Criminal Intent;
Doctor Gregory House M.D., House M.D.;
Georgia Lass, Dead Like Me;

Honorable Mention: Dr. Nicholas Rush from SGU Stargate Universe and Andy Millman from Extras.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 3,180 • Replies: 6
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 21 Dec, 2009 06:39 am
@tsarstepan,
Im gonna say "MONK" played by Tony Shaloub was a really good character, "DEXTER" on HBO is a real POW.
The rest of the characters Ive come across were mostly built for a kiddy audience.

I wish that Travoltas character "CHILI" introduced in"Get SHorty" would have been reprised in a better fashion than his follow on perdormance in "BE COOL". He could have had a franchise of fans had there been some better scripts.

I think that Robt Langston, from the Dan Brown books will be a franchise. Im not particularly a big fan but Tom Hanks is a great actor for our time and he has made the role his own pretty much.
djjd62

Reply Mon 21 Dec, 2009 07:30 am
saw this article a few days ago, lost is the only show i've seen on any regular basis in the 2000's (although i did watch Monk for the first few seasons, and did enjoy that character) so my vote would go to Ben Linus, i'm also wondering if any character in the history of tv spent more time with bruise make up on, dude was always getting beat up

for a non american show my vote would go to Martin Clunes as Doctor Martin Ellingham in Doc Martin

Doc Martin is a British television comedy drama starring Martin Clunes. Created by Dominic Minghella, it is filmed on location in and around the fishing village of Port Isaac, Cornwall, United Kingdom, with filming of most interior scenes and production carried out in a converted barn at a local farm. There have been four completed series of the show, and a feature-length special that first aired on Christmas Day 2006. A long-awaited fourth series began production in September 2008 and the filming started late April 2009. The fourth series was broadcast from 20 September to 8 November 2009 in the United Kingdom on ITV1.

Clunes plays (fictional) Portwenn's local GP, Martin Ellingham, who was once a brilliant and highly successful London surgeon until he developed a phobia of blood that prevented him conducting operations. After retraining as a GP, he applied for a post in the sleepy Cornish hamlet of Portwenn, where he'd spent childhood holidays.
Much of the show's humour revolves around Ellingham's interactions with the local Cornish villagers. Despite his surgical brilliance, Ellingham lacks vital personal skills and any semblance of a bedside manner, and often fails to understand other people. Dr Ellingham (referred to as "Doc Martin" by the friendly locals), much to his disgust, finds the surgery is in disarray, the medical equipment is beyond repair, and the patients’ records are a mess. He also inherits an incompetent receptionist, Elaine Denham, who resents Doc Martin's moving in. The community is united in horror at their "misery guts" of a new GP.
Martin is joined by a cast which includes Stephanie Cole as his aunt, Joan Norton, who provides him with emotional support in the face of the disquiet among the villagers. Caroline Catz plays opinionated primary school teacher (later headmistress) Louisa Glasson. Doc Martin is attracted to her, but finds himself unable to express this. Louisa appears to share this mutual attraction, but finds their personalities often too different, while she is caring and nurturing (particularly occupationally), Martin is emotionally detached and at times neurotic.
msolga

Reply Mon 21 Dec, 2009 07:49 am
@djjd62,
Doc Martin. Very Happy
Yes. Marvellously under-played by Martin Clunes.

Quote:
for a non american show my vote would go to Martin Clunes as Doctor Martin Ellingham in Doc Martin ....
Much of the show's humour revolves around Ellingham's interactions with the local Cornish villagers. Despite his surgical brilliance, Ellingham lacks vital personal skills and any semblance of a bedside manner, and often fails to understand other people. ......
Caroline Catz plays opinionated primary school teacher (later headmistress) Louisa Glasson. Doc Martin is attracted to her, but finds himself unable to express this. Louisa appears to share this mutual attraction, but finds their personalities often too different, while she is caring and nurturing (particularly occupationally), Martin is emotionally detached and at times neurotic.

msolga

Reply Mon 21 Dec, 2009 08:06 am
@msolga,
Agreeing with djjd's choice there. A good one.
Still thinking about my own nomination/s ....
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 21 Dec, 2009 08:14 am
@farmerman,
I saw the first film, Get Shorty and loved it but avoided the critically lamented sequel, Be Cool.

I wonder if the character Chili could pull off the lead role of a sitcom?

0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 21 Dec, 2009 08:15 am
@farmerman,
Oh... Monk is an excellent choice for an original character. Good catch farmerman.
0 Replies