Oral Roberts finally met his maker

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2009 02:55 pm
Quote:
Evangelist Oral Roberts dies in Calif. at age 91 (AP)
AP - Evangelist Oral Roberts, who rose from tent revivals to found a multimillion-dollar organization and an Oklahoma university bearing his name, has died. He was 91.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 7 • Views: 1,221 • Replies: 15
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2009 03:28 pm
One of my aunts in California and my mother used to watch his tent shows. The last time I saw the aunt, she was sending Roberts regular contributions. I saw a bit of the charlatan in him, but not so egregious as some other evangelists.
Rockhead

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2009 06:56 pm
@edgarblythe,
my only thought is that God is now gonna have to build a new wing...

may he rest in peace.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2009 07:09 pm
@edgarblythe,
Yes, I do think so too - most evangelists are charlatans and prey with prayers
on poor innocent souls.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2009 07:33 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Quote:
Evangelist Oral Roberts dies in Calif. at age 91 (AP)
AP - Evangelist Oral Roberts, who rose from tent revivals to found a multimillion-dollar organization and an Oklahoma university bearing his name, has died. He was 91.

How to use God to make a bundle.

I'm sorry but I have no sympathy or patience with people of Roberts' ilk. May he rest.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2009 08:31 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgar, I still know that my siblings tithe to their church, but it's their money and their decision. I donate to second harvest food bank and habitat for humanities.
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2009 08:37 pm
@cicerone imposter,
My aunt's reward was in knowing her act was from the heart, no matter to what purpose it was put by the Roberts organization.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2009 08:49 pm
@edgarblythe,
I'm sure most who give to their church gives from the heart. Even those of us who give to "other" charities, we believe we are giving from the heart.

I also like to think that my donations go to those most in need regardless of race, gender, religion, culture, or anything else that we humans categorize.
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2009 10:03 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I like to think so, too, and I'm sure my aunt thought that way.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Wed 16 Dec, 2009 02:09 pm
I do not understand why some people think there are charlatans in the televangelist world? What makes organized religion more substantive? Both versions of religion seem to be selling a relationship with some spiritual power? What makes one acceptable and another not acceptable?

When was the last time someone that had died communicated with the living and told anyone what faith had all the right answers?
dyslexia

Reply Wed 16 Dec, 2009 04:05 pm
@Foofie,
12/15/09
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 16 Dec, 2009 04:38 pm
@Foofie,
I saw no mention of organized religion here. How does that figure into a story about Oral Roberts?.
tycoon

Reply Wed 16 Dec, 2009 05:08 pm
Sorry to hear about this. I'll need to write a story and headline about his passing for a local newspaper which I contribute articles. How about:

Jesus Preparing to Receive Oral
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 16 Dec, 2009 05:10 pm
@tycoon,
Good title.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Wed 16 Dec, 2009 08:04 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

I saw no mention of organized religion here. How does that figure into a story about Oral Roberts?.

One does not have to subscribe to a hierarchal church to be a Christian. Some just read the bible and believe in the Lord's power to be shown in some individuals.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 16 Dec, 2009 08:19 pm
@Foofie,
Most people who believe in a deity also believe in their god's powers. It's a one-way communication, but that doesn't seem to bother any believer.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Oral Roberts finally met his maker
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/04/2024 at 05:09:33