Alliterative Four Word Sentence/Phrase Game

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 16 Apr, 2019 12:47 pm
@OnTheFritz,
OnTheFritz wrote:

The majority of posters didn't create the game, nor the rules; the OP did that. Fair is playing by the rules.

ETA: Izezi has the right idea.
;

OP reading the following minithread. The scandal of our times!

I'm down either way. It would be fun to have a separate No-holds-barred thread with alliterative sentences as long as the Atlantic Coast horizon.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 16 Apr, 2019 12:48 pm
No-holds-barred bump
OnTheFritz

Reply Tue 16 Apr, 2019 01:17 pm
@tsarstepan,
That seems to be the solution; New game with sentences of unlimited length. What about minimum number of words? More than one sentence per post? A whole paragraph? More than one? Phrases?

Next letter: G
coluber2001

Reply Tue 16 Apr, 2019 01:27 pm
@OnTheFritz,
I'd rather see staying with four words and being succinct and clever than rambling on just for appearance sake. I like to add an image every now and then just to reinforce the topic. I did do 5 words once just to complete the thought.

Is somebody starting a new alliterative thread?
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 16 Apr, 2019 01:28 pm
@OnTheFritz,
Maybe five minimum words?
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 16 Apr, 2019 01:36 pm
@coluber2001,
coluber2001 wrote:

I'd rather see staying with four words and being succinct and clever than rambling on just for appearance sake. I like to add an image every now and then just to reinforce the topic. I did do 5 words once just to complete the thought.

Is somebody starting a new alliterative thread?

How about this version?
Five minimum/no maximum alliteration game
0 Replies

izezi

Reply Tue 16 Apr, 2019 02:22 pm
@OnTheFritz,
OnTheFritz wrote:

That seems to be the solution; New game with sentences of unlimited length. What about minimum number of words? More than one sentence per post? A whole paragraph? More than one? Phrases?

I play at a couple other forums where they have Alliterative games. Forums where they have active games aren't that common. You guys are the best players of the forums I belong to and would enjoy a challenge from you guys. With a game like this we could let it rip and show what we've got in addition to supplementing our forum with a new game.

At one forum we only do one sentence of any length then the person who posted chooses the next letter. Some people only do 10-12 words, I can do 50-60 words in one sentence. Not everyone is a good sport about it and it kind of takes the fun out of it for them so I don't play all the time.

At the other forum they use more than one sentence in an offering and to me, personally, that seems sloppy. They also use non-alliterative words in parenthesis as linking words but they set the rules. I challenged them in my own way alliteratively.

I vote we keep it to one sentence as long as you can manage since that takes the most skill. We can do it alphabetically or posters choice, either is fine with me.

I have a few long ones already written and will give an example of what I mean. I posted this elsewhere to show them how Alliteration was done, using the letter G since it's next up here:

Grand glorious grandiose greybeard Grandmaster Grandfather Gabriel grandly grandstanded grandiloquent, grabbing greater garnered granite ground grown grudgingly guarded guilelessly, guideless grubstake grumps grossly giving guised geared grubby guidebook garnered gratuitous guesswork, gregarious Gransnet going Grandparent groupie game goers granddaughter's groaningly girly grumbling given grandson's ghastly grave guffaws, gravity guided greasy grazing gnawing grey groundhogs gravely grating gowned Granny's genuinely grapevined gall greatly.

I was going to make the game here a while back but had never started a thread and didn't want to mess it up. I didn't notice the link to the thread tsarstepan posted, that works for me since there already is a game.
Sturgis

Reply Tue 16 Apr, 2019 02:30 pm
That was quite impressive!

Hildegarde hounded Harcourt hourly
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Tue 16 Apr, 2019 02:31 pm
@izezi,
I'd still rather keep it short and sweet rather than long and rambling. After 8 or so words nobody's going to read it anyway. What's the point? I gave up reading Faulkner because his sentences were paragraph-long, and by the time you get halfway through the sentence you forget what he was talking about in the first place. So I guess what I'm saying is there should be a maximum length.
OnTheFritz

Reply Tue 16 Apr, 2019 04:18 pm
@coluber2001,
Ira irrigated irises irregularly.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 16 Apr, 2019 04:34 pm
@coluber2001,
You gave up Faulkner!

“Just jealous,” Jacklyn jeered.
coluber2001

Reply Wed 17 Apr, 2019 06:43 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

You gave up Faulkner!

Yes, and took up Mahler.

Karl's kitschy kumquat kvass.
Lash

Reply Wed 17 Apr, 2019 07:22 am
@coluber2001,
Lioness, live long, lovingly.

“When the shadow of the sash appeared on the curtains it was between seven and eight o' clock and then I was in time again, hearing the watch. It was Grandfather's and when Father gave it to me he said I give you the mausoleum of all hope and desire; it's rather excruciating-ly apt that you will use it to gain the reducto absurdum of all human experience which can fit your individual needs no better than it fitted his or his father's. I give it to you not that you may remember time, but that you might forget it now and then for a moment and not spend all your breath trying to conquer it. Because no battle is ever won he said. They are not even fought. The field only reveals to man his own folly and despair, and victory is an illusion of philosophers and fools.”

William Faulkner, The Sound and the Fury

So, time, huh?🤔
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 17 Apr, 2019 07:32 am
@Lash,
Momma mentioned men's mentality.
OnTheFritz

Reply Wed 17 Apr, 2019 07:49 am
@tsarstepan,
Neil needed nine nickels.
coluber2001

Reply Wed 17 Apr, 2019 08:56 am
@OnTheFritz,
Olaf overcame Olga's obstinacy.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 17 Apr, 2019 09:20 am
Persepolis pulverized paternalistic patronage.
firefly

Reply Wed 17 Apr, 2019 09:44 am
@Lash,
Queer queens quizzed Quinn
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 17 Apr, 2019 12:02 pm
@firefly,
Ratcachers ratcheted Rachel's rickets.
OnTheFritz

Reply Wed 17 Apr, 2019 12:17 pm
@tsarstepan,
Shem's shorn sheep shuffled.