Booster Club Structure

Reply Sat 12 Dec, 2009 01:09 pm
I'm writing a research paper on the structure of booster clubs in high schools in the United States. Specifically, I am looking to evaluate two different structures: (1) the structure of a singular booster club designed to serve the all of the athletic programs within a school, and (2) the structure of having multiple booster clubs - assumed one per sport - functioning within a school.

I'm looking for any direction on where to locate information regarding this topic, and in particular, empirical data.

Thank you for any help you can provide!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 7,403 • Replies: 11
No top replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 12 Dec, 2009 01:14 pm
@AndyHill,
Googled booster club and high schools and limited it to .edu sources ... got this academic paper which may be a good start:
http://www.usca.edu/essays/vol162006/finley.pdf
Quote:
References
Berry, L. (2001, February/March). Balancing booster budgets. Athletic Management.
http://www.momentummedia.com/articles/am/am1302/booster.htm
Coakley, J. (2004). Sports in society: Issues and controversies (8th ed.).New York, NY:
McGraw-Hill.
Epstein, A. (2003). Sports law. Clifton Park, NY. Delmar Learning.
Meade, L. K. (2005, June 23). Gifts can throw teams off balance. The Boston Globe, p. 1.
Obernauer, M. (2005, July 16). The rising price of victory; Fundraising for athletic
programs incites cries of inequity. The Austin-American Statesman, p. A1.
Pennington, B. (2004, June 29). Title IX trickles down to girls of generation z. The New
York Times, p. D1.
Sanchez, R. (2003, November 10). Holding back boosters; Districts worry that funding
could result in Title IX challenge. The Rocky Mountain News, p. 20A.
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 12 Dec, 2009 01:18 pm
@tsarstepan,
Not to sound dismissive but you could actually visit a library (a college or research library rather then one's typical public library though a librarian at the BPL or the NYPL might be quite helpful.

Bonne Chance!
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sat 12 Dec, 2009 01:31 pm
a booster that supports all athletic programs Confused

wouldn't the guys use this

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_2OaBJfY-Sc8/SZLfRKlODXI/AAAAAAAABHU/mo7N1FxpLJk/s400/jock+strap.jpg

and the girls this

http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2007/03_02/sportsbraDM2703_450x450.jpg

0 Replies

sullyfish6

Reply Sat 12 Dec, 2009 02:05 pm
What kind of emperical evidence are you looking for from a volunteer parent group?

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 12 Dec, 2009 02:13 pm
@sullyfish6,
Emperical evidence?
He's probably going to ask for the public tax records from the actual booster groups themselves.
0 Replies

sullyfish6

Reply Sat 12 Dec, 2009 05:18 pm
Hs booster clubs rarely have revenues that would require charitable Form 990 filing. (over $25,000)

0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sat 12 Dec, 2009 05:24 pm
What is a booster club?
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 12 Dec, 2009 05:27 pm
@dadpad,
Quote:
A booster club is an organization that is formed to contribute money to an associated club, sports team, or organization. Booster clubs are popular in American schools at the high school and university level. The clubs are generally run and organized by the parents of the students in the supported organization in high schools, and by athletic supporters and fans at colleges.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sat 12 Dec, 2009 05:41 pm
interesting. We dont have those here in Aust High schools (that I know of).
Ionus

Reply Sat 12 Dec, 2009 05:56 pm
@dadpad,
We have fund raising committes, special book stalls, school fairs, tuckshops, etc and these will probably be run by a subcommittee - the subcommitee is our legal equivalent. The school is the charity.
dadpad

Reply Sat 12 Dec, 2009 06:39 pm
@Ionus,
Ionus wrote:

We have fund raising committes, special book stalls, school fairs, tuckshops, etc and these will probably be run by a subcommittee - the subcommitee is our legal equivalent. The school is the charity.

Fundraising is quite different i believe. Fund raising occors generally to benefit the school population as a whole, although at specific times it may be targeted, new basketball court, books for the library etc.
Booster clubs seem to be targeted at supporting a specific area of the cirriculum.
We dont seem to have booster clubs at university (college) level either.
Coterie clubs attached to sporting clubs are as close as i can get.
0 Replies