I want to be a better person

Seed

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2009 09:04 pm
There are so many things in this life that I have no idea about. Things that I want to know about but I feel that aren't really that important in the large scheme of things and life.

I don't know what the difference is between a Liberal and Conservative are. (other then the obvious things denoted in the names)
I don't know the difference between Democrats and Republicans. (never been big into politics)
I don't even know the basics of making a website. (and I consider myself a techy guy)

Stupid little things. that dont make me a bad person but stupid little things that I want to know. I'm not asking for answers here. I'm not asking for anything really.

I guess I just know (for once) that I have some growing up to do in life. I'm 27. And as stupid as it sounds (even more stupid then not know the difference between Liberal and Conservative)

I dont really know why. This is just a spot where I can rant and say things that are flowing through my head. It's like I'm spinning around looking for something that gives me some sort of lay of the land.

(by the way there are so many more things that I want to know and learn Japanese even)

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2009 09:07 pm
I am a pretty old person and I feel the same way. For some of us, it never ends, apparently.
dlowan

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2009 09:12 pm
@Seed,
I think you're most in danger of not being a better person when you don't know that you don't know.
LionTamerX

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2009 09:43 pm
@dlowan,
Quote:
I think you're most in danger of not being a better person when you don't know that you don't know.

Similarly, being absolutely sure that you are right, is often a sign that you are either dead wrong, or badly misinformed.
I think by your admitting the things that you are ashamed you don't know, you are on the right track.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2009 11:08 pm
@Seed,
Perhaps you should start defining yourself by listing your social and cultural priorities. Reading the newspaper might be helpful if you find a fairly neutral source of news.

Make a list of things you want to learn. Take an hour and write the list with as many items as you can muster. Set the list aside for another day. Return to the list, say after a week of mulling over in your head the really important items on the list.

Edit down the list by removing the redundant items. Start to look at the possibility of some of the items on the list: Ex. learning Japanese ... say its pretty important to you ... factor in the where's and the hows (the infrastructure of learning that particular language): the only school in my area that teaches Japanese is....
0 Replies

George

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2009 08:55 am
As far as the distinctions between political parties and wings, I've gone from
not knowing the difference,
to learning the difference,
to becoming a member of one or another,
to agreeing and disagreeing with both,
to not knowing the difference.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2009 10:42 am
Things like politics are always in flux, so it's hard to give solid definitions to the various philosophies. Once Republicans were like Lincoln now they are like Reagan. Once Democrats were like Strom Thrumond, now they are like Obama. Go figure.

Seed, from what you have posted in the past it is evident you are a thoughtful person who tries to do the right thing and works hard to be loving daddy, so you're off to a good start. If you want to grow intellectually you could pick one or two topics of interest and just start by reading a few books or taking a class. You could start learning japanese on-line at one of the free language sites. Probably the best way to be a better person is just to respect yourself for who you are and that will carry over into everything you do.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2009 11:29 pm
Hey Seed, I almost 50 and there are still some things I don't know. Come to think of it, in the grand scheme of things, I know very little. The more I know, the more I realize I don't know.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Thu 10 Dec, 2009 06:13 am
i too have been trying to make myself a bitter person

my mantra, every day, in every way, i'm getting bitterer and bitterer

oh, a better person
Embarrassed
nevermind
Tai Chi

Reply Thu 10 Dec, 2009 06:41 am
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

oh, a better person
Embarrassed
nevermind

I'm not bitter -- I'm just unsweetened.

Seed, like Greenwitch said, you seem a thoughtful, decent human being. The fact that you want to make an effort and are thinking about the kind of person you want to be is a first step. For what it's worth, I like the person I'm getting to know.

(Oh, hey, that could refer to YOU or ME! Well, I'm definitely still a work in progress.)
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 10 Dec, 2009 07:10 am
Seed you can learn all these things... you can become well informed and educated on a limitless range of subjects.... it won't make you a better person.

A: IMO you're already a good person.

B: You want to become a better person, forget working on your knowledge base... work on your heart, compassion, patiience, loyalty, ability to love expecting or demanding none in return... things like that. You're already on the right path to be that guy.
0 Replies

sullyfish6

Reply Thu 10 Dec, 2009 07:57 am
Seed - the things you listed are quests for knowledge, IMHO, not the same thing as seeking to be a "better" person.

I understand where you are coming from.

I, too, am in a flux right now. I am in the "what do i do now?" stage in my life after the death of my husband 7 months ago.

I have found some guidance in the Buddist Noble Eightfold Path. I am using it to inspire my behavior and as a beginning step into future life actions.

My goal is to to look at behaviors and determine:
the right view or Vision
the right Action
the right Intention
the right Speech
the right Livelihood
the right Effort
the right Mindfulness
the right Concentration.

I am finding Intention to require the most introspection.

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 10 Dec, 2009 08:05 am
A commendable sentiment. I would suggest that those who are not actually sociopathic, or irredemably selfish want to improve themselves. Don't let the selfish shits get ya down, Boss.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 10 Dec, 2009 12:20 pm
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

Well you could eat more bitter melon while wearing underwear made of orange rinds while sipping gallons of bitter tea brewed with stale beer. Mad
0 Replies

leonbasin

Reply Fri 11 Dec, 2009 10:29 pm
Start with knowing yourself and other things will follow.
dyslexia

Reply Sat 12 Dec, 2009 06:56 am
@leonbasin,
leonbasin wrote:

Start with knowing yourself and other things will follow.
If you really get to know yourself, surely suicide will result.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 12 Dec, 2009 09:27 am
There are those who see the glass half full, others who see it half empty. There are even those who percieve it full to the brim. With ****. I don't usually like the last bunch. But that's me.
Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sat 12 Dec, 2009 03:46 pm
@edgarblythe,
personally I just perceive the glass as the wrong size.
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 12 Dec, 2009 04:03 pm
@Bi-Polar Bear,
http://i49.tinypic.com/aeo0sm.jpg
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 12 Dec, 2009 04:05 pm
@Seed,
It's been almost an entire week since you wrote this thread... so have you figured out politics, culture, and the meaning of life yet? Cool
0 Replies